ADVERTISEMENT

So, is it time?

USAFminersfan

MI Regular
Nov 8, 2008
To jump back on the bandwagon again?

I'll admit, this season has been a tough one as a fan. Usually, college basketball is the sporting season I most look forward to every year. I relish it even more so than the NFL season. Simply put -- the Miners are my hometown team, and a special bond is made when you grow up watching those great teams coached by "The Man" himself-- daaaa bear! Ok, maybe channeling my inner "Bill Swerski" isn't exactly relative when discussing Haskins or the Miners, but what the hell...

Regardless, this year has completely drained that usual enthusiasm, but winning 5 in a row has a funny way of bringing the ol' team spirit back outta ya.

Maybe we've figured something out, and are finally playing to our potential. Maybe we'll lose every game from here on out. I really don't know. I do however appreciate this up-tempo change of pace Floyd has implemented.

Mostly, I'm enjoying the return of that feeling.... the one you get when you're actually excited about the next game....and the next opportunity to extend that ever important win streak....

Salut!

I'll admit, this season has been a tough one as a fan. Usually, college basketball is the sporting season I most look forward to every year. I relish it even more so than the NFL season. Simply put -- the Miners are my hometown team, and a special bond is made when you grow up watching those great teams coached by "The Man" himself-- daaaa bear! Ok, maybe channeling my inner "Bill Swerski" isn't exactly relative when discussing Haskins or the Miners, but what the hell...

Regardless, this year has completely drained that usual enthusiasm, but winning 5 in a row has a funny way of bringing the ol' team spirit back outta ya.

Maybe we've figured something out, and are finally playing to our potential. Maybe we'll lose every game from here on out. I really don't know. I do however appreciate this up-tempo change of pace Floyd has implemented.

Mostly, I'm enjoying the return of that feeling.... the one you get when you're actually excited about the next game....and the next opportunity to extend that ever important win streak....

Salut!
I hope their lackadaisical performance after their huge lead tonight was because they know how big the La Tech game is Saturday and started looking ahead instead of taking care of business. We all know how many games have played to the same script this season. Waaaaay too many.

Salut!

Two more home games left x $8 per ticket = $16. What the heck -- jump!

I'm glad they are doing better, but no excuse for losing to utsa.
Fact of the matter is though bro if they somehow win tourney and go dancing no one cares about that loss! We've already gotten past that and looking forward. It would matter if that loss somehow was critical to them making the dance this year as an at large, but in this sub par year its just another blip on a down year that is actually showing some promise now!

I'm glad they are doing better, but no excuse for losing to utsa.

Man, if you think the team that played UTSA and the team that's played the last five games, are the same team, I don't know...No need to even bring UTSA up during this nice run. Absolutely a tale of two teams.

Reactions: nattybry
It's because people just can't be happy!! This team is really getting exciting to watch... They may not win another game as someone said but they are exciting as heck to watch now

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
If they continue to do well this season I am gonna be really excited to see next year if they keep the up tempo! We just need a big guy that can run and I hope they find one.... I think jones will be good (in time though) and Wilms will help a lot next year!!!

Also I heard somewhere that either Artist or Moore I can't remember which might gain an extra year of eligibility has anyone heard anything more about that?

It's because people just can't be happy!! This team is really getting exciting to watch... They may not win another game as someone said but they are exciting as heck to watch now
I have to say that even though most agree that this team is not a complete team, we are missing one or two pieces, I really do like the way they play, the way coach Floyd has adjusted, and will just enjoy what ever comes the rest of this year. I am going to admit that I thought Floyd should have been shown the door but I think you have been a lot more right than I have. With 4 of 5 starters returning for next season, reserves coming back and hopefully a proven rebounder or two, the Miners should be a solid contender.

Jump on before it starts really moving.

KO-B0Z.gif

Reactions: e-rick
I have to say that even though most agree that this team is not a complete team, we are missing one or two pieces, I really do like the way they play, the way coach Floyd has adjusted, and will just enjoy what ever comes the rest of this year. I am going to admit that I thought Floyd should have been shown the door but I think you have been a lot more right than I have. With 4 of 5 starters returning for next season, reserves coming back and hopefully a proven rebounder or two, the Miners should be a solid contender.
I really hope they can carry this momentum into the tournament! They got excited again like they finally figured it out but they will have a good test against LA tech and see just how far they have come! Hope they pass the test !

Just don't forget this teams double personality, they can play amazing for 10 and leave a steamer the next 10. We have all seen what happens when they all go cold (Artis, Harris, Morris and Moore). What I want to see is them all go off at the same time and blow the doors off somebody.

Reactions: miner1liner

Salut!
Once the tourney comes around I'm all down!

Reactions: USAFminersfan
I highly doubt they won't win another game!

Will 2 of the last 3 get us a top four finish? I would think we would need some help. A sweep should do it.
Old Dominion will be the toughest game considering their crowd and defense. If we are on, I don't think Charlotte
has the horses to hang with us. UTSA is in for a beating, Senior night and all. This team is just starting to hit on all
cylinders. Watching the replay of the game this morning, I liked how the team was so attentive during one of the time outs,
Moore particularly. I disagreed with some opinions during the rough stretch that Floyd had lost the team. I never
heard Floyd nor Johnson mention anything of that sort, only that the team was practicing hard and continuing to work.
I just think the team, like the coaches were finding themselves too. Hopefully they stay focused. Its obvious they are having some
fun during this streak, and remember how they got there. Its going to be an exciting final 2 weeks before the conference tournament.

I was looking at the CUSA standings and it looks like the Miners need to win their remaining three games. It appears they will be fighting for that fourth place finish with La Tech. La Tech has four games left, two at home this week against North Texas and then Rice. Then they go on the road at Marshall and at Western Kentucky. If UTEP wins out and Marshall or one of the other teams knocks off La Tech, we should get at least the four seed. Miners however cannot overlook Old Dominion or Charlotte. I too agree that I do not see them losing to UTSA.

If the Miners win their remaining three games and La Tech wins out as well, the two teams would be tied and do not know what the tiebreaker would be. I know the Miners split the series with them and they beat UTEP by eight and the Miners beat them by eleven. Not sure if that would be the tiebreaker or if it's dependent on how the teams fared against the top three teams in the league. Anyone know the tiebreaker should they end up tied?

Reactions: topminer
Agree, it looks as though we need to win the last three regular season games to receive a tournament bye.

According to this link, the first tie-breaker is head-to-head. Since UTEP and La. Tech split, then the second tie-breaker is which team had a better winning percentage against the regular season champion. If that ends up being a tie, then it keeps going down the rankings, until one team has better winning percentage. So if La. Tech and UTEP tie for 4th, then the tie-breaker will be how both teams did against UAB. Since La. Tech beat UAB, they will be the 4th seed.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/06-tie-breakers.pdf

My guess is that UTEP ends up remaining the 6th seed. So the positive with being the 6th, is that UAB would be on the other side of the bracket and UTEP would play in the late game for as long as they are in the tournament, which would make it easier to view the games.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. So it looks like the Miners need to win out and hope Marshall or another team beats La Tech.

Don't we technically need two teams to beat la tech then since they got the tiebreaker?

If Marshall plays they way the have in the past 1/2 of the season. I don't see LaTech coming out with a win. WKU is not a cakewalk for them either. I like our chances but ODU is a tough out and they play good D which we struggle with. If LaTech goes 2-2 and we go 2-1 I wonder who gets the bye?

If Marshall plays they way the have in the past 1/2 of the season. I don't see LaTech coming out with a win. WKU is not a cakewalk for them either. I like our chances but ODU is a tough out and they play good D which we struggle with. If LaTech goes 2-2 and we go 2-1 I wonder who gets the bye?
It looks like we cannot end up tied with La Tech. Miners need to win their three remaining games and hope La Tech loses at least two of their remaining four games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT