ADVERTISEMENT

Some short thoughts.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
1). I will wait until after the Rice game, before forming an opinion about this team.

2). This was a very similar score to the 2000 season opening loss at OU(56-7 vs. 55-14). Maybe that doesn't mean anything, or maybe it can serve as hope that we didn't get an accurate look today at how our team will perform against the rest of our schedule.

3). We threw the ball 27 times today and we ran the ball 21 times.

4). We ran the ball right down the middle on the first drive of the game with a lot of success, but then we threw the ball 4 straight times after scoring that TD, including going 3-and-out, with 3 straight passes in our second drive. I wouldn't read too much into anything today, including play calling, but I do want to make one point: We appear to have one of the best O-lines in the conference. That O-line had some good early success. I know that everybody wants us to throw it more, but if the O-line is truly the strength of our team, then shouldn't we use our strength and run it more than we throw it? Doesn't using our strength just make sense? We will see how that plays out this season, but if we have a strength, I hope that we will utilize it.

5). I thought Metz looked pretty decent.

6). In regards to speed, Dawn actually looked quick at moments even when compared to the elite OU athletes. I guess the hope is that if he showed quickness against OU today, that hopefully he can have a productive year against the non OU type of athletes that are remaining on our schedule.

7). We must cover the TE better. Very disapointing, as that was not an athlete issue, that was a scheme issue. On a lot of the busted coverages, we struggled to get defenders even close to the TE.

8.). Our Punter performed well today.

9). Our number one goal from this game was to not have any injuries. I think that with the exception of possibly Busey, we did okay there.

10). Too many penalties, especially the unforced type of penalties(not lining up correctly).

11). We need to work on getting the ball snapped quicker. Too often today, Metz was slapping his hands trying to get the snap off before the play clock expired.

12). Again, we did not throw the ball down field, I believe we only had one pass attempt the entire game beyond 15 yards. We have covered this a thousand time, but we will not be succesful if that does not improve this season. Throwing it more does not mean much, if we are continuing to not stretch the field.

13). Another trend under the Kugler era, has been our struggles with pass protection when we are placed in passing only situations. This is part of the reason why we end up throwing to 5 yard routes on plays like 3rd and 8. We throw early due to pressure. We run block better than we pass block. Of course today was not an accurate way too judge, but we didn't improve today and we must improve in those situations this year.

14). Baker Mayfield is very good.

15). Is there any way that we can get out of not playing the Army game this year?

Last edited:
Point 4 had me yelling!! We went and scored with them running the football really well so what do we do next?? Throw throw and punt are they stupid? Make them stop you first

Reactions: axingfools1
Point 4 had me yelling!! We went and scored with them running the football really well so what do we do next?? Throw throw and punt are they stupid? Make them stop you first

I was unable to watch the game, so did UTEP just abandon the run as the game wore on?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT