ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting News 2015 -16 Basketball

I am cautiously optimistic with regard to the upcoming season. There will be some growing pains, but the upgrade in talent in the back court should do wonders for the development of the young big men. Honestly, I think this type of class was what I expected when Floyd first arrived here. With the quality of the coaching staff, along with Floyd, this type of talent influx should be the expectation. Now, the players still need to prove it on the court, but I expect BIG things from Artist and Moore in particular. I wouldn't be shocked to see a "small ball" approach from the staff in order to get our best players on the court at the same time. Clearly, rebounding will be a challenge; but we would also be creating a ton of mismatches on the other end as well, and our defensive pressure would be tough to deal with. I am thinking along the lines of the USM model, which was very effective. Bottom line: Talent makes geniuses out of coaches; and all of it starts with good guard play.

I am cautiously optimistic with regard to the upcoming season. There will be some growing pains, but the upgrade in talent in the back court should do wonders for the development of the young big men. Honestly, I think this type of class was what I expected when Floyd first arrived here. With the quality of the coaching staff, along with Floyd, this type of talent influx should be the expectation. Now, the players still need to prove it on the court, but I expect BIG things from Artist and Moore in particular. I wouldn't be shocked to see a "small ball" approach from the staff in order to get our best players on the court at the same time. Clearly, rebounding will be a challenge; but we would also be creating a ton of mismatches on the other end as well, and our defensive pressure would be tough to deal with. I am thinking along the lines of the USM model, which was very effective. Bottom line: Talent makes geniuses out of coaches; and all of it starts with good guard play.

In regards to the recruits, I actually think Floyd HAS produced these kinds of classes nearly every season. Trouble is we haven't seen all that talent make it on the court for various reasons.

This class seems different, in that they all may qualify and suit up. With the last 6 years, however, I wait until the kids step on the court before I get excited about their potential.

You both made your point. Floyd post season record speaks for itself. Can't argue with facts. But why do all do this? You have people on here who a loyal Miner basketball fans. What's wrong with that? What wrong in expecting a good season run to lead into post season? This is good thing for UTEP. Fans expect a UTEP basketball coach to field the best team possible in the conference. Haskins set that bar. Not the fans, not any former or current A.D., not the chancellor....Haskins did and he expected the best of himself and players. So why poke? Unlike football which has low expectations, and I mean low (UTEP fans were satisfied with a New Mexico Bowl invite), Basketball is the total opposite.

I agree Two Step. In my original post all I said was "show me". We have all read pre-season publications and heard prognostications saying UTEP would be this or that only to have the team flame out. I will be rooting FOR the Miners and hoping for the best. I never said Floyd sucks, fire him or anything like that. I just said my patience has worn thin with teams underperforming, players not showing up, you know pretty much what has been discussed over and over. The knucklehead went after me for making this simple point. I see nothing wrong with keeping Floyd's back, HOWEVER, the team needs to do something. Making the NIT and losing in the first or second round is unacceptable in MY opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT