ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting News 2015 -16 Basketball

Nice response Playmaker. My general response to your original post was based on your downer attitude about Floyd... kinda like a couple of your loser buddies on
this board. I always was an still am 100% behind him. I hope this year makes you and yours believers also. I am pumped about the prospects. In the meantime; why don't you just chill and hold off on name calling.

Why go there? Aside from the constant ridicule of Floyd that comes from Epsi, and to some extent Chih, expressing a little disappointment here and there about Miner bb should not only be considered appropriate, but expected too. It's the constant barrage of negativity from the same posters over and over that should draw the condemnation from this board's regulars, not the occasional criticism of Floyd's overall body of work here at UTEP.

You can't argue the fact Floyd is the best in CUSA. Those zero regular season CUSA championships, 0 CUSA tournament final appearances, zero NCAA tournament appearances, and 2 blow out loses in the NIT, sure prove that. UABz coach is the best in cusa.

You both made your point. Floyd post season record speaks for itself. Can't argue with facts. But why do all do this? You have people on here who a loyal Miner basketball fans. What's wrong with that? What wrong in expecting a good season run to lead into post season? This is good thing for UTEP. Fans expect a UTEP basketball coach to field the best team possible in the conference. Haskins set that bar. Not the fans, not any former or current A.D., not the chancellor....Haskins did and he expected the best of himself and players. So why poke? Unlike football which has low expectations, and I mean low (UTEP fans were satisfied with a New Mexico Bowl invite), Basketball is the total opposite.

You both made your point. Floyd post season record speaks for itself. Can't argue with facts. But why do all do this? You have people on here who a loyal Miner basketball fans. What's wrong with that? What wrong in expecting a good season run to lead into post season? This is good thing for UTEP. Fans expect a UTEP basketball coach to field the best team possible in the conference. Haskins set that bar. Not the fans, not any former or current A.D., not the chancellor....Haskins did and he expected the best of himself and players. So why poke? Unlike football which has low expectations, and I mean low (UTEP fans were satisfied with a New Mexico Bowl invite), Basketball is the total opposite.
Well said 2step!

I proved It Based on common sense. If Floyd was so great like many think on here then why didn't Florida come get him? Oh wait they hired the coach who coached circles around him twice last season.
How bout let's have a beer. We can have a go at it in person. Let's go have a cerveza. No excuses, no bs, just man up...

Do they serve Skinny Girl Cocktails at this bar? Otherwise, Bob and his alter egos aren't going to show up.
they will show up regardless. Those gay wads don't show up at all, unless it is behind a computer screen.

Last edited:
How bout let's have a beer. We can have a go at it in person. Let's go have a cerveza. No excuses, no bs, just man up...
No thanks. The Internet is crawling with pervs and weirdos. Plus I am not into going to bars to meet guys like u obviously are. You can do what u want to do and I respect your lifestyle.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
No thanks. The Internet is crawling with pervs and weirdos. Plus I am not into going to bars to meet guys like u obviously are. I can do what u want to do and I respect your lifestyle.
coward... talk and talk, but you can't back up the walk, just like your other joto personality, chi

Reactions: mikesarabia
Sounds like you got asked out by a homophobe. We all know homophobes are insecure about their sexuality and use their homophobia as a front to them being secretly gay, so you chose wisely. Not that there is anything wrong with being gay. I am so glad I no longer read the homophobe's and his friend's posts. This board is so much easier to read. Too bad quoted posts still show up.

Reactions: Epsilon00
Finally a post related to UTEP sports cause once again a thread got derailed by trolls who have to resort to personal attacks because they can't handle the facts and can't come back with facts, just personal attacks .
I say 20, but we should win a lot of games with the very , and I mean very weak non conference schedule this year.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Sounds like you got asked out by a homophobe. We all know homophobes are insecure about their sexuality and use their homophobia as a front to them being secretly gay, so you chose wisely. Not that there is anything wrong with being gay. I am so glad I no longer read the homophobe's and his friend's posts. This board is so much easier to read. Too bad quoted posts still show up.
drama queen. You read everything, because people like you and your alter ego, love being pepo's. I guess it is in your "DNA"

Careful, you're going to get a lecture from chi.

El Paso Chihuahuas lecturing Epsilon00?

talking-to-self.jpg

The only thing worth getting excited about this season is seeing who has the potential to be future impact players ( assuming we can actually hang on to them for more than a year). Other than that, I don't see us doing much with a bunch of newcomers. All our big men are young, skinny, and inexperienced.

Wilmms will be >100% all season, and Vint ( judging by his Twitter) is in puppy dog love with the gf so I don't see much basketball focus out of him. Our guard play should be good though.

Beyond that, I've learned to expect certain things out of a floyd coached miner team:

1- we'll likely play below our potential, and play down to the competition.

2- our defense will be good, but our offensive sets will be as dynamic and sophisticated as a typical high school team.

3- we won't know who will actually suit up come season start, or who will last the whole season for that matter.

Due to those realities mentioned, I predict we'll win around 22 games (due to the schedule), with an invite to the cbi or cit. The season after will be a total crapshoot, and will likely depend on which players are still with the program or whether CTF himself will still be here...

Just my 2 cents, though. I am usually pretty darn spot-on in my assertions. I Don't really base them on homerism or pessimism... :)

Last edited:
I think the offense should open up just by having a PG that can (hopefully) shoot, pass and/or drive. We haven't had that in a while.

The only thing worth getting excited about this season is seeing who has the potential to be future impact players ( assuming we can actually hang on to them for more than a year). Other than that, I don't see us doing much with a bunch of newcomers. All our big men are young, skinny, and inexperienced.

Wilmms will be >100% all season, and Vint ( judging by his Twitter) is in puppy dog love with the gf so I don't see much basketball focus out of him. Our guard play should be good though.

Beyond that, I've learned to expect certain things out of a floyd coached miner team:

2- our defense will be good, but our offensive sets will be as dynamic and sophisticated as a typical high school team.

3- we won't know who will actually suit up come season start, or who will last the whole season for that matter.

Due to those realities mentioned, I predict we'll win around 22 games (due to the schedule), with an invite to the cbi or cit. The season after will be a total crapshoot, and will likely depend on which players are still with the program or whether CTF himself will still be here...

Just my 2 cents, though. I am usually pretty darn spot-on in my assertions. I Don't really base them on homerism or pessimism... :)
Wow am I excited for this seasons possibilities after reading your post. What a glowing evaluation. I'm trying to keep my expectations under control....or maybe we should just all stay home so we can focus our attentions elsewhere.
For the record, I think your analysis is worth about 1 cent.

Me too, I had to go back and read who wrote that. I thought it was Chihuahua.
But that's how you feel, some people are half empty glass kind of people.
I'm excited for this years team and I can't wait for the first tip off.

GO MINERS

USAFMiner, I won't blame or ridicule you one bit. If recent history follows suit, your analysis will be spot on. I say this not with the least bit of "holier-than-thou attitude, but I am excited to see how this team gels and am actually a bit optimistic. I think this team will be better than most expect. Of course I thought that last year...and the year before...and the...

its amazing !! This is the only message board I have been to that have to deal with crap like this!! Sure others have their trolls but it's not like this crap....

Reactions: Carlosergio

USAF, I totally respect what you posted and you have every right to state your opinion. However, I do have "hope" that this will be the year that the team does over achieve. I know Chih and Epsilon laugh at that but I don't care what they think (I have them both on ignore anyway). My reasoning for the optimism is this, the object of the game is to put the basketball through the hoop and in my opinion the Miners have multiple shooters that can do just that. They did not have that last year. We had Cooper and Morris but we saw what happened when Cooper was off. If a player or players is off on their shooting, there are others that can pick up the slack. Add to that the weak schedule, that appears was purposely done by Floyd due to the inexperience of the team, and I agree with Coog and am excited to see the team gel and what lays ahead. I am optimistic and look forward to seeing the scrimmage this Saturday to get a better idea of the type of shooters that are on the team.

USAFMiner, I won't blame or ridicule you one bit. If recent history follows suit, your analysis will be spot on. I say this not with the least bit of "holier-than-thou attitude, but I am excited to see how this team gels and am actually a bit optimistic. I think this team will be better than most expect. Of course I thought that last year...and the year before...and the...

I'm actually excited for the season as well, believe it or not. I'm not coming in with huge expectations, but seeing a bunch of new potential talent grow will be exciting to me. I'm very curious how good these new players are.

Floyd, however, has been too consistent in the shortcomings of the teams he's fielded at UTEP. I'm hoping he turns things around, but I've simply seen the same things for 6 years and i'm a little skeptical of his ability to elevate this program right now.

Either way, I don't think Floyd will find success this season, but next season may be a different story. Our rebounding will be an issue this season, but if Floyd can keep and expand the current crop of players, I'd bet he fare much better next season. That's a big "if", though. Let's see what happens....

Last edited:
USAF, I totally respect what you posted and you have every right to state your opinion. However, I do have "hope" that this will be the year that the team does over achieve. I know Chih and Epsilon laugh at that but I don't care what they think (I have them both on ignore anyway). My reasoning for the optimism is this, the object of the game is to put the basketball through the hoop and in my opinion the Miners have multiple shooters that can do just that. They did not have that last year. We had Cooper and Morris but we saw what happened when Cooper was off. If a player or players is off on their shooting, there are others that can pick up the slack. Add to that the weak schedule, that appears was purposely done by Floyd due to the inexperience of the team, and I agree with Coog and am excited to see the team gel and what lays ahead. I am optimistic and look forward to seeing the scrimmage this Saturday to get a better idea of the type of shooters that are on the team.

Thank you. It's nice to see someone can respectfully have a different opinion on this board.

I do agree with you that our offense should be better. If these players live up to the hype, they should be exciting to watch. Rebounding is the kicker for me. I'm not confident about Matt being in the condition he'll need to be this season with the foot injury, and Vint has always been soft on the boards. Rebounding stats usually tell the story of a college basketball game.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Hunter and Washburn were not good shooters!! Hunter could not hitting anything 5ft from the basket... Washburn was a decent midrange shooter but far from a good shooter

Reactions: mikesarabia
If the miners "suck" this year and it leads to the fireing of Floyd i hope the boosters come up with big time money so we can afford to hire coach Chihuahua.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT