ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
Bloomquist is following practice and providing some nice updates in the EP Times.

Defense is practicing the 4-3 and the starters right now are Mascorro and Sota at DE with Christian Johnson and Sullivan on their heels. Chukwukelu and Richardson are at DT (Richardson was only the practice squad all of 2017 due to academics). No mention of their backups, but I would guess the Buckinghams are there. Not sure if Reese is here yet. 1 or 2 of the freshman need to step up for a suprise or a least some depth. Elsner is not on the spring roster.

T. Hughes has moved back to RB and is up to 239lbs.

DeHaro has impressed on the O-line and Kavika at WR.

Metz is securing the backup role IMO, but may be our starter early on in the spring.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Bloomquist is following practice and providing some nice updates in the EP Times.

Defense is practicing the 4-3 and the starters right now are Mascorro and Sota at DE with Christian Johnson and Sullivan on their heels. Chukwukelu and Richardson are at DT (Richardson was only the practice squad all of 2017 due to academics). No mention of their backups, but I would guess the Buckinghams are there. Not sure if Reese is here yet. 1 or 2 of the freshman need to TKhstep up for a suprise or a least some depth. Elsner is not on the spring roster.

T. Hughes has moved back to RB and is up to 239lbs.

DeHaro has impressed on the O-line and Kavika at WR.

Metz is securing the backup role IMO, but may be our starter early on in the spring.
The article mentioned a 4-2-5 defense. Didn't UTEP run that just a couple of years ago?

I remember they ran that defense when they picked up that UNM D-Coordinator when Price was here.

Stoker ran the 4-2-5 while he was here. We were pretty decent with it during 2014, when we went to the New Mexico Bowl.

In 2014, we held 5 of our last 7 opponents to 21 points or less.
In 2015, we then held 4 of our last 6 opponents to 21 points or less. Then Stoker was then let go and we changed to the 3-4.

In that article, Dimel says that we are running the 4-2-5. Richardson says that most of the linemen came from a 4-3 system in high school, I'm guessing in reference to going from a 3 man line to a 4 man line. From the clips they have put up of practice, I have only seen 2 LBs in the formation. So I'm confused as to what scheme we are running as well lol.
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...ong-desired-improvement-new-scheme/410725002/

In that article, Dimel says that we are running the 4-2-5. Richardson says that most of the linemen came from a 4-3 system in high school, I'm guessing in reference to going from a 3 man line to a 4 man line. From the clips they have put up of practice, I have only seen 2 LBs in the formation. So I'm confused as to what scheme we are running as well lol.
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...ong-desired-improvement-new-scheme/410725002/
Yeah Bloomquist is confusing at times. I think he does some copy and paste from old articles/quotes. I don't ever remember us hearing about a 4-2-5 defense from Dimel.

Reactions: minerpride31
Yeah Bloomquist is confusing at times. I think he does some copy and paste from old articles/quotes. I don't ever remember us hearing about a 4-2-5 defense from Dimel.
According to the new article in the El Paso times, we are primarily running a 4-2-5. Although we will run a 4-3 at times

Reactions: axingfools1
According to the new article in the El Paso times, we are primarily running a 4-2-5. Although we will run a 4-3 at times
Well then I stand corrected. Apologies to Bloomquist. I don't remember Dimmel or Cox mentioning a 4-2-5. We do have a plethora of DBs and we are short on LB. As long as we can stop the run!!!

Well then I stand corrected. Apologies to Bloomquist. I don't remember Dimmel or Cox mentioning a 4-2-5. We do have a plethora of DBs and we are short on LB. As long as we can stop the run!!!
Actually we also have an abundance of LBs. Remember Kugler ran a 3-4 and had alot of LBs on the roster to fill 4 spots.

Kugler was not happy with 4-2-5 because Stoker blitzed a ton and it left DB's on an island and UTEP got burned a lot, but yet it was Stoker's bread n' butter. That's Kug's arguement at the time, not mine. But Kug is gone so who knows.

Kugler was not happy with 4-2-5 because Stoker blitzed a ton and it left DB's on an island and UTEP got burned a lot, but yet it was Stoker's bread n' butter. That's Kug's arguement at the time, not mine. But Kug is gone so who knows.
I knew it was Stoker’s d but Kulger had to sign off, he hired him and had knowledge of what he wanted to run. Damn I’m glad he’s gone.
Only problem is I’m a Broncos fan!

Actually we also have an abundance of LBs. Remember Kugler ran a 3-4 and had alot of LBs on the roster to fill 4 spots.
15 of each on the roster right now. Van Hook and Smith are the only guys that really did much of anything last year. Smith and Parsee have a little experience. Hopefully one or two of the young guys can make a splash. The defensive backfield has much more experience...

15 of each on the roster right now. Van Hook and Smith are the only guys that really did much of anything last year. Smith and Parsee have a little experience. Hopefully one or two of the young guys can make a splash. The defensive backfield has much more experience...

Herring may be someone to look at in the future, he did receive a lot of acolades in HS. My only issue with that 4-2-5 is that inexperience at LB coupled with the lack of production returning along the DL. Given that those are the two weakest spots on D right now would you be willing to take a LB off the field and replace them with a DB? Depending on the down and situation teams may just want to audible and run when UTEP is in that defense.

Reactions: axingfools1
I knew it was Stoker’s d but Kulger had to sign off, he hired him and had knowledge of what he wanted to run. Damn I’m glad he’s gone.

I hear ya. I'm a Tampa fan but behind them I also cheer for the Broncos.

It's actually not a problem. While Kugler proved to be incompetent as a college head coach, during his time with the Steelers he proved himself to be a very good offensive line coach. You're O-line is actually in good hands.

Tre Hughes has switched back from LB to RB. Coach Dimel said Hughes asked for that and Metz said Hughes already looks good a RB.

Reactions: jdubb66
It's actually not a problem. While Kugler proved to be incompetent as a college head coach, during his time with the Steelers he proved himself to be a very good offensive line coach. You're O-line is actually in good hands.
Yeah I agree with Kugs being a good o line coach. Just tried a little humor

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT