ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl will also change

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 12, 2019
This upcoming season will probably be the last time a Pac 12 team comes to El Paso. Pac 12 contract ran through 2025. So we should probably expect the 11th place Big 12 team or 14th place Big 10 school to play the ACC in 2024!

The Sun Bowl will still be better than most bowls, but you will always have somebody to complain about.

The Sun Bowl hasn’t selected a 10 win team since 1983. “Better than most bowls”, give me a break.

Since 1983, the Sun Bowl has featured thirty ranked teams.

I assume you didn't go to the Sun Bowl last year? You missed out on a great game between #18 UCLA and Pittsburgh.

But I'm sure you thought the Tucson Bowl was better with Ohio and Wyoming, the First Responder Bowl with Memphis and Utah State, Camellia Bowl with Buffalo and Georgia Southern, etc.

The Sun Bowl is still is a great bowl and will continue to be a great bowl. This is why fans still support it year after year. You can stay home and complain while the rest of us are out having fun.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Since 1983, the Sun Bowl has featured thirty ranked teams.

I assume you didn't go to the Sun Bowl last year? You missed out on a great game between #18 UCLA and Pittsburgh.

But I'm sure you thought the Tucson Bowl was better with Ohio and Wyoming, the First Responder Bowl with Memphis and Utah State, Camellia Bowl with Buffalo and Georgia Southern, etc.

The Sun Bowl is still is a great bowl and will continue to be a great bowl. This is why fans still support it year after year. You can stay home and complain while the rest of us are out having fun.
The Sun Bowl is a great bowl game to El Pasoans that never leave the city and don’t know any better.

The 11th place b12 vs 14th place b10 would actually be a decent matchup.

Reactions: EPUTEP
The 11th place b12 vs 14th place b10 would actually be a decent matchup.

No, the other bowls are better. I should have traveled last year to Boca Raton to see Toledo and Liberty. I don't know why I stayed home to watch a ranked UCLA team and Pittsburgh. :rolleyes:

No, the other bowls are better. I should have traveled last year to Boca Raton to see Toledo and Liberty. I don't know why I stayed home to watch a ranked UCLA team and Pittsburgh. :rolleyes:
With the way things are going if the Sun Bowl has access to two teams from the P4 that’s huge. Even if they’re the last teams in to qualify for a bowl bid. Much better than having teams from the Sun Belt face a CUSA school.

With the way things are going if the Sun Bowl has access to two teams from the P4 that’s huge. Even if they’re the last teams in to qualify for a bowl bid. Much better than having teams from the Sun Belt face a CUSA school.

Completely agree. People in El Paso understand the Sun Bowl brings in good teams. This is why the attendance is good year after year.

There are a few negative nancies that like to moan and bitch about everything.

With the proliferation of bowl games, if you're not one of the playoff games or other New Year's Day games, the product has become rather watered down. And yes, the Sun Bowl game doesn't have the payout that some of the bowls have. If someone wants to add about four or five million dollars every year to the kitty, we could get a top ten team or two. But even so, the Sun Bowl game has done well with medium level schools. The game almost always gets rated higher than average for competitiveness and excitement.

With the proliferation of bowl games, if you're not one of the playoff games or other New Year's Day games, the product has become rather watered down. And yes, the Sun Bowl game doesn't have the payout that some of the bowls have. If someone wants to add about four or five million dollars every year to the kitty, we could get a top ten team or two. But even so, the Sun Bowl game has done well with medium level schools. The game almost always gets rated higher than average for competitiveness and excitement.

The Sun Bowl's payout is $4.55 million. It's more than most bowls: https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/bowl-game-payouts/

I wouldn't call UCLA a "medium level" team.

Also, a top ten team won't play in any non College Football Playoff bowl game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT