ADVERTISEMENT

The AD everyone in this town loves to hate

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
This article points out all the good things Stull has done at UTEP. And they are really good improvements that have enhanced the UTEP experience.

However, UTEP has two underachieving football coaches (Price and Kugler) who both have now left UTEP with the lowest fan attendance in 13 years and alienated fans and season ticket holders and a current conference affiliation that used to be a basketball powerhouse that has now dwindled to a one bid conference and with no relief in sight for a basketball coach who wins 20+ games a year.

Who paid for this piece?

http://footballmatters.org/athletic-director-bob-stull-has-utep-on-the-rise/

"Now as the Athletic Director at UTEP, Stull is in the midst of one of the great rebirths of any division I school in America." Talk amongst yourselves...

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I wouldn't consider Price and Kugler underachieving. Both put a much better quality product on the field than coaches like Lee, Bailey, Nord etc.. did. We were lucky to win one game a season back then. It will always be an uphill battle with trying to be a consistent winner in football here in el paso.

Where Stull messed up is still having Tim Floyd as our basketball coach. Floyd has underachieved big time here. Basketball has regressed since he took over here. Tim has had the most resources available to him than any other utep basketball coach. Floyd should have been canned at the end of last season. I feel sorry for our next coach cause he is going to inherit a mess.

I dont think its fair to compare football to the past. I do give Stull credit for bring up the level of football funding. During the dark ages of UTEP football, the program was nowhere close to being fully funded. The football program was ran on d2 budget. They sucked but they had no chance to compete. Once Stull came in and fixed the budget and brought brought the football funding to division 1 standards the football team has been competitive. All three of Stull's football hires have led us to bowl games.

Basketball is a problem. For one we put way too many resources in a sport that will not help us improve our conference situation. The program has been mediocre for a long time. In reality since 1966 we havent done alot. We are an above average program but not a top 100 program since 66. The only way to improve the hoops program is to improve football so we can improve our conference affiliation. I dont think most fans have come to terms with the fact we play in a one big league. The regular season is irrelevant, its impossible to build a consistent winner in a one bid league. UTEP basketball has never been lower in terms of relavence and brand as we are now. The only way to fix this is to build a winning foootball program.

Stull did great things for UTEP, but new leadership and vision is needed to get the department to the top of the mountain. Stull has layed a great foundation, but he's also made some big mistakes. His biggest mistakes are: turning down the mountain west twice, alienating mid level donors, building a basketball practice facility before, an ipf for football, paying a basketball coach more than the football coach, and holding on to Mike Price too long.

The biggest issue UTEP has now is marketing. UTEP has the worst marketing in d1, its an absolute joke. Its time to outsource the marketing of UTEP athletics to an outside marketing firm. We also need to commision a study about how to improve the gameday experience for the casual fan.

Im grateful for what Stull has done for the department. We've made great strides thanks to the work of Stull. However, over the last few years our growth has been stagnant. Its going to take new prospective and leadership to push UTEP athletics to the next level.

What about the athletic program itself?
- Volleyball: 0 NCAA appearances, two or three winning seasons since Stull's arrival. Memorial Gym in need of major upgrades.
- Men's Track and Field: 0 national titles in...
cross country since 1981 (Ted Banks), only school to have its championship vacated (1983), seven titles in its history.
indoor track since 1982 (John Wedel), seven titles in its history.
outdoor track since 1982 (John Wedel), six titles in its history.
Four triple crowns.
Kidd Field in need of major upgrades.
- Softball: 0 NCAA appearances, missed out on conference tournament six years in a row despite playing in best facility in C-USA.

Reactions: Nugget 07
I wouldn't consider Price and Kugler underachieving. Both put a much better quality product on the field than coaches like Lee, Bailey, Nord etc.. did. We were lucky to win one game a season back then. It will always be an uphill battle with trying to be a consistent winner in football here in el paso.

Where Stull messed up is still having Tim Floyd as our basketball coach. Floyd has underachieved big time here. Basketball has regressed since he took over here. Tim has had the most resources available to him than any other utep basketball coach. Floyd should have been canned at the end of last season. I feel sorry for our next coach cause he is going to inherit a mess.
Basketball has not "regressed" under Floyd. His ability as a coach is recognized nationally. He has steadily built a program that was on the verge of becoming consistently mediocre. He has fired some blanks in recruiting by going after talented players who didn't fit the program, but overall the program is stronger today than it was when he came here.

I heard Bob turned down alot of jobs at bigger schools to stay here. We are blessed. I hope he never leaves. Too bad he can't lead Sul Ross to D1

Basketball has not "regressed" under Floyd. His ability as a coach is recognized nationally. He has steadily built a program that was on the verge of becoming consistently mediocre. He has fired some blanks in recruiting by going after talented players who didn't fit the program, but overall the program is stronger today than it was when he came here.
Haha we just made the ncaa tourney when he came here and haven't come close to making it since. So the program has not gotten stronger. Like I said that is regressing. It doesn't take 5 years to build a program in weak cusa.

Depth wins NCAA championships in track and cross country not having one elite star win 1-2 events. UTEP has done really well in track, we have placed a lot winners in first, but we don't have a lot of depth after that. Unless you are an elite program like Oregon where you offer a lot of split scholarships and build depth you will never compete and win an NCAA track championship. Of course this is all Bob Stull's doing and he should have "had a plan in place" to keep this from happening. Many of those championship teams of the 80's won, but they almost bankrupted the whole program by being over budget and not bringing a lot of revenue in. Choices had to be made and they were not easy, but we would not be talking about much Miner ball if they had not been made right. Stull has had to make a lot of these as well in his time here, so we are going to call him out for this? Kugler and Price underperforming? as compared to what? Billy Alton?, Jim Yung?, Gil Bartosh?, Gary Nord? Kugler and Prices teams are miles and miles improved form that era. I have seen a lot of bad football from UTEP but It sure hasn't been for the last 10 years or so. I was at the Sun Bowl back in the 70's when Frank Kush at Arizona State started his THIRD String against UTEP and still beat us by 50, we opened at powerhouse IDAHO one year and lost 76 to 3, now that is bad underperforming football. Bob Stull yes he really has screwed us. Did you know our football training table when school was out used to be meal vouchers at LUBY'S? and they weren't even all you could eat, they had a 8 dollar limit? Stull got that changed really quick once he got here, he told me he was ashamed that a 250 lb lineman had to survive on a "luann" plate a day. How about the Durham center did Larry just walk up one day and "Hey UTEP I would like donate a few mill or so, here is the check" of course Stull had nothing to do with that, he just said thank you Larry. And then we have the MWC conference invite screw-up that Bob is credited for. MWC presidents never wanted UTEP in the MWC some of them made public statements to the effect "we can't send our student athletes to the war zone that is the US/Mexico border" and "El Paso is not a place we would like to have to send our student athletes too" of course that's Bob's fault too. I am not a Bob Stull fan but to blame him for all our misfortunes on the field and for the conference we are in is stupid. There is a lot of blame to go around, I would like to blame the couple who played pocket pool on the mountain on national TV, the Tail-Gate Fans next to me one year who left broken bottles, trash and a loaded diaper next to were I parked, students who have a section reserved for them and never show and posters like myself who never really appreciate what so many have done to allow me to watch a college game and who is critical of everything accomplished.

Reactions: redrob
I hear a lot of crap.
How can you expect Coach Kug to turn over the program when we never really had a program to begin.
Coach Kug is on its 3rd year. Name a coach that has turned a program in less than 3 years.
We all know that the big 5 are taking all good players in basketball and football. UTEP is not the
school we all think it is. We got lucky with coach Haskins.
After Haskins I can honestly tell you that Billy G is the only one that had the potential to make things
happened. Unfortunately Billy G had a problem that took him down.
Coach Floyd is doing better than what people think. He hasn't been lucky, some of the players
he had to recruit had a big question mark and he had to gamble. Those players didn't work out.
Some of the other coaches cheat to make things happened. I can tell you that Coach Floyd is under
the microscope and people are ready to point the finger at the first chance they get. That includes
suckers on this board.

Relax and enjoy what UTEP has to offer, you can always be a UT or UNMS fan.

GO Miners...

Justin Fuente is he the coach who took Memphis from a losing season to Bowl Season at a school which hasn't really done much? Like Mike Price did for us a few years back? or was that Nord? Those guys looked like the real deal at first also. One season doesn't make a turn around, nor two or even three. A lot of one hit wonders and even two hit wonders not so many that never had a losing season or "program builders" we will see what Justin is in a few years but I would be anointing him turn around king just yet.

Justin Fuente is he the coach who took Memphis from a losing season to Bowl Season at a school which hasn't really done much? Like Mike Price did for us a few years back? or was that Nord? Those guys looked like the real deal at first also. One season doesn't make a turn around, nor two or even three. A lot of one hit wonders and even two hit wonders not so many that never had a losing season or "program builders" we will see what Justin is in a few years but I would be anointing him turn around king just yet.

I was asked a question and I gave an answer.

I hear a lot of crap.
Coach Floyd is doing better than what people think. He hasn't been lucky, some of the players
he had to recruit had a big question mark and he had to gamble. Those players didn't work out.
Some of the other coaches cheat to make things happened.

GO Miners...
How is Floyd doing better than most people think????
And it's Floyds fault for always wanting to recruit these big question mark players. Nobody is forcing him to recruit players who everyone already knows is a long shot to qualify academically. If you always play with fire it is eventually going to burn you.

Voice of the Mosquito, you nailed:
"to blame him for all our misfortunes on the field and for the conference we are in is stupid."

And for the "stupid" guy that started this this post: you don't speak for me so don't go all Fox News here and claim "everyone in this town" bullshit.

I hear a lot of crap.

....Some of the other coaches cheat to make things happened....

GO Miners...

Funny you should mention that. I read an article yesterday about the whole steroid scandal when Bailey was here. He still denies he knew anything to this day. Prior to that I can remember how Bailey had the local sports media under his spell with his tough talking, aw shucks, let me tell you how it is, approach that sounds oh so familiar.

Overall, and since 1998, I feel Stull has done a decent job with the athletic program....it is much better than anyone since Jim Bowden.....there isn't much to work with financially in El Paso and he has to rely on the same donors year after year....

.....and he has put what money he has back in the program, not a lot of quick fix spending which would put us in debt and that could cost us our program. I never liked what he did when he left us as a coach. He didn't wrap up Billy G's contract and that cost us a bit when he bolted for A$M, but nobody would have guessed he would turn things around so fast. My biggest beef with Stull (and I'm not 100% sure he is responsible) but our schedules for football and basketball have to be improved. If teams will not play us home and home we have no business playing them period, Texas Tech, UT and Oklahoma all played here, there has got to be others willing as well. Ole' Miss, Arkansas, K-State and any other's who won't, screw them we don't need their charity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT