ADVERTISEMENT

The Kermit Davis argument

Mar 6, 2017
I saw that Kermit Davis took 11 years to get his team into the NCAAS and that since it's only been 7, UTEP should hang onto Tim Floyd. MTSU was in the Ohio Valley and Sun Belt conferences before and have never won more than 1 game in any NCAA tournament. UTEP won the 1966 National Championship and made the 1992 Sweet 16. They were also in better conferences all that time. Only until recently have the Blue Raiders been on a level playing field. UTEP had a clear conference advantage over MTSU.

MTSU did not make any tournaments from 1990 to 2013. That's 23 years in between, so what pressure was there to make the tournament? The Miners went to 3 tournaments between 2004 and 2010 and had a rich basketball tradition. Why should UTEP fans accept not going to the dance and not expect anything for 7 years from a coach? Just because it sorta worked for Middle, does not mean it will work here.

Tim Floyd has had his chance here and it's time for a change. Rookie head coaches like Billy Gillispie, Doc Sadler, and Tony Barbee all were more successful in less time and they did it in better leagues. There's no way Barbee would have been given an 8th season. Just because Floyd is part of the Haskins tree, does not mean he should be given free passes when he hasn't brought the program forward.

The Miners have lost to basketball powers like Angelo St, New Orleans, Northern Arizona, Maryland Eastern Shore, and all the awful teams in Conference USA. Kermit Davis is now working for MTSU, but who is sure that Tim Floyd is working for UTEP?

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I think why we give Tim Floyd a chance. Is because he wants to be here and wants to build something. Coaches like Barbie want to use utep as a launching pad. Utep will just be stuck in no man land getting bounce in 1st round of NCAA tourney .

Kermit didn't gamble on recruits, Floyd did. This was a special class for MTSU. They're going to miss Upshaw. Potts still has a year.

I really like the way a MTSU fan put it on the cusabbs site.
"It's not like we weren't winning. Kermit's only had one losing season in his 15 years. It was a frustration about winning bigger. It's hard to fire a coach outside of the P5 world that isn't losing.

As weird as this may sound I believe what turned Kermit from a good coach into a great coach was that he adapted. His style did not work with the Millennial generation. He was more old school Bobby Knight like which worked back in the day but doesn't work now. He figured it out. He didn't make the kids try to adjust to him he adjusted to them. I don't think there are that many coaches would reinvent themselves like that."

Biggest difference between Davis and Floyd.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MT_CoachDavis

I think why we give Tim Floyd a chance. Is because he wants to be here and wants to build something. Coaches like Barbie want to use utep as a launching pad. Utep will just be stuck in no man land getting bounce in 1st round of NCAA tourney .

I prefer a coach who is here a few years and takes us to the dance than some arrogant clown that will take us nowhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT