ADVERTISEMENT

The saddest of this season

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
The saddest part of this season is how much talent has been wasted. This year is going to be the best UTEP showing at NFL draft maybe ever. Three guys will get drafted Hernandez, Jones and Plinke. Two of them, Jones and Hernandez, are underclassmen. I dont know if we've ever had an underclassmen drafted before, this,year there will be two.

Will Hernandez has been overlooked this year. Hes the best player on the team. Pro football focus and numerous other publications have named him the best draft eligible guard this year. He wont last past the second round and he may very well go in the first round. Not only may he end up being the greatest lineman to ever play at UTEP, he may very well end upbeing the best player to have ever played at UTEP.

We have had the best running back in UTEP history in Jones. We have had a skilled tight end in Plinke that has been underutilized. April will be the best draft ever for UTEP. Thats part of what makes this season so dissapointing. Year four of the Kugler era is injury free. We have the easiest most favorable schedule in UTEP history and it was all pissed away.

Its unfathomable and inexcusable how bad this season has been. We've wasted the careers of two all time great Miners. The easiest most favorable schedule in Miner history has been wasted. I fully e pect Kugler to announce Monday he is resigning effective after the game on Saturday. Its time for a bold game changing hire.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I like your analysis, but Will Hernandez is not going to be a first round or second round draft pick. I would be very surprised if Plinke gets drafted and even have doubts about Jones getting drafted.

Reactions: Cube Jack
I like your analysis, but Will Hernandez is not going to be a first round or second round draft pick. I would be very surprised if Plinke gets drafted and even have doubts about Jones getting drafted.

With the sad state of offensive line play in the nfl, olineman will coveted on April. Hernandez is universally regarded as the best draft eligible guard. That is not hyperbole. No way he gets past the second round.

With the sad state of offensive line play in the nfl, olineman will coveted on April. Hernandez is universally regarded as the best draft eligible guard. That is not hyperbole. No way he gets past the second round.

How much you want to bet? Hernandez will not be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick next year.

Which mock draft shows Hernandez being a 1st or 2nd round draft pick?

Big bad Trey Darilek put a lot of fannie's to the turf, and Cousins was a bit of a freak of nature (he was a recruit that UTEP beat out over OU, which doesn't happen to often), but Will is up there for sure.

Mock drafts don't come out until after football season & before the draft. Try to keep up - reading comprehension helps.

Mock drafts don't come out until after football season & before the draft. Try to keep up - reading comprehension helps.

You don't know what you're talking about. The 2017 mock drafts have been available for awhile. There are 2018 mock draft already out.

Kugler gets paid to win football games, not put players in the NFL. He just lost to maybe the worst team in FBS. Okay, well second worst...

BTW, Tomlinson was an UFA. You think Plinke is better than Tomlinson? And anybody who thinks Jones should return next year is, well, I dunno, somebody help me out...

Kugler gets paid to win football games, not put players in the NFL. He just lost to maybe the worst team in FBS. Okay, well second worst...

BTW, Tomlinson was an UFA. You think Plinke is better than Tomlinson? And anybody who thinks Jones should return next year is, well, I dunno, somebody help me out...

Even Kaplowitz said yesterday on his show that Jones should return.

I loved Eric. He was a gritty player. Hwever, Plinke is i much better receiver. He's more athletic much faster and a much better route runner. Hes one of those giys who will put up great times at the combine. He will get picked in the sixth or seventh round.

I loved Eric. He was a gritty player. Hwever, Plinke is i much better receiver. He's more athletic much faster and a much better route runner. Hes one of those giys who will put up great times at the combine. He will get picked in the sixth or seventh round.

And Hernandez is a 1st round draft pick? What round is Aaron getting drafted in?

And Hernandez is a 1st round draft pick? What round is Aaron getting drafted in?

6 to seventh to ufa

My gut says seventh round

Hernandez will be gone before the third round. Probably 2nd round pick, however, he could go in the first.

6 to seventh to ufa

My gut says seventh round

Hernandez will be gone before the third round. Probably 2nd round pick, however, he could go in the first.

I agree with on Jones, but I just can't see Hernandez being that high of a pick.

Hernandez' problem is he's a good player playing on a bad team against bad competition. Still, quality is quality, have a good combine/pro day with good film and he'll get plenty of looks. Everybody's looking for that next Jerry Rice. Because of the way the game has changed at the next level, there is such a premium on offensive linemen. TEs and RBs, not so much, marginalized in most pro schemes these days, you can get quality with low picks at those positions.

After four seasons, of all the disappointments with Kugler (and Leftwitz), one would presume their inability to truly recruit/develop top tier offensive linemen would be at the top of the list. Guess you can coach 'em up to a point, but at the end of the day, you can't make Chablis wine out of well water.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT