ADVERTISEMENT

Things CUSA needs to do for 2023 and beyond

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 12, 2019
Aside from figuring out who is coming and going, they need to do these things

1. Fire Judy - this is probably not ALL her fault, but she is the “boss”, so she takes the blame. I would love to know how much CUSA paid Jim Delany for his consulting. The idea is of regional conferences is not bad at all and makes sense on every level, but it was never going to be seriously considered. Especially without the SBC even willing to listen.

2. Ditch CUSA - the name sucks and is a joke now. Change it something else. Whore yourself out if you have to and look for a corporate sponsor. TMobile Athletic Conference? Get some money, but at least change the name.

3. Maybe add some basketball only schools. They probably will have to anyway. Don’t go beyond 12 though. Allegedly UTA and UALR will be kicked out of the SBC. Maybe Grand Canyon wants to join? Can’t say those 3 are worse than the Rice, UNT, UTSA, and FAU are from a basketball program stand point.

Anything else that you do or change? What do you disagree with?

I agree with all of them.

No conference commissioner should survive if 9 of your 14 programs left.

I think #2 is very important. Use some of that exit fee money for a rebrand. Might even get ESPN to throw us a bone after we ditch the name.

I can't really add anything at the moment but I'll keep thinking. Good suggestions.

Rebrand…after we collect that exit fee $$$.
Not sure if that’s an issue. Like if you won a judgment in your favor, but changed your name before you got paid, they can’t say “we lost to Josh Jones, not Big Cat Danger”. Big Cat Danger is still getting his dough.

1. Fire Judy - this is probably not ALL her fault, but she is the “boss”, so she takes the blame. I would love to know how much CUSA paid Jim Delany for his consulting. The idea is of regional conferences is not bad at all and makes sense on every level, but it was never going to be seriously considered. Especially without the SBC even willing to listen.

2. Ditch CUSA - the name sucks and is a joke now. Change it something else. Whore yourself out if you have to and look for a corporate sponsor. TMobile Athletic Conference? Get some money, but at least change the name.

3. Maybe add some basketball only schools. They probably will have to anyway. Don’t go beyond 12 though. Allegedly UTA and UALR will be kicked out of the SBC. Maybe Grand Canyon wants to join? Can’t say those 3 are worse than the Rice, UNT, UTSA, and FAU are from a basketball program stand point.

Finally, some feasible solutions. I like all of these ideas you brought up.

I still don't understand what FAU offers the AAC outside of a TV market despite nobody in the area caring about them. Rice at least has academics and a lot of money to add to their TV market

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Not sure if that’s an issue. Like if you won a judgment in your favor, but changed your name before you got paid, they can’t say “we lost to Josh Jones, not Big Cat Danger”. Big Cat Danger is still getting his dough.
Yeah not sure either. But it wouldn’t just be a name change. The conference itself would be dissolved. That’s kind of like us leaving the conference, too.

I sure as hell wouldn’t make any rebranding moves until that money is secure, or until it’s known that loot is an absolute certainty.

I still don't understand what FAU offers the AAC outside of a TV market despite nobody in the area caring about them. Rice at least has academics and a lot of money to add to their TV market
I guess for a travel partner with USF, they’re not a bad program, but goes back to one of my points about current CUSA, who cares? All these schools will be forgotten about. I will miss Rice a little bit and I am sure Central Texas alums will miss being able to see the Miners in San Antonio and Dallas, but I can’t imagine anyone is crushed by the departing teams leaving.

Haven’t looked at a map, not sure how far Stephenville is from Dallas and where Huntsville is exactly. So might not be too bad for those in Dallas or San Antonio

Reactions: picks up
I guess for a travel partner with USF, they’re not a bad program, but goes back to one of my points about current CUSA, who cares? All these schools will be forgotten about. I will miss Rice a little bit and I am sure Central Texas alums will miss being able to see the Miners in San Antonio and Dallas, but I can’t imagine anyone is crushed by the departing teams leaving.

Haven’t looked at a map, not sure how far Stephenville is from Dallas and where Huntsville is exactly. So might not be too bad for those in Dallas or San Antonio
Stephenville about an hour south of the Metroplex. Huntsville is about an hour north of Houston.

I may

I may be wrong but I think FAU is ripe and has tremendous upside. Especially with the collapse of the U.

Not saying anything will happen overnight but they have money, location, population, etc.

Reactions: picks up
That’s what I’m talking about. Who wouldn’t want to go play in Boca Raton? It’s only gonna get brighter there…and I ain’t talking about the sunshine.
A lot of people in El Paso saw schools like FAU, Charlotte, UTSA, UNT and even ODU join CUSA and assumed cuz they were former fcs schools or didn't have football that we should easily beat them without realizing all the money and projects they were doing behind the scenes.

I just keep thinking of how they hosted conference championship game and nobody showed up
Yeah, but it doesn’t really matter. Just looks bad on tv and something all the other “losers” in the conference will bring up and say they would have had more fans.

We should have if BS had fired MP a few years earlier and hired a good hc.

Hopefully Dimel has this program turned around and we're able to dominate these wannabe FBS teams. Our existence is on the line. If we return to our losing ways we will sink to their level and get left there.
I agree. However it seems we need these wanna be teams more than ever.

Last edited:
Not keen on to many start ups, and not clear how playing more than 2 a year effects bowl eligibility, you can count one win every two years now. Rather invite UConn, UMass, NMSU for football only and load up on basketball schools (no more than 10 total) . Travel for football would mean 3 trips east coast a year but all other sports would be possible. Agree with most we should dominate this kind of set up and position ourselves for the next shake up.

Hopefully Dimel has this program turned around and we're able to dominate these wannabe FBS teams. Our existence is on the line. If we return to our losing ways we will sink to their level and get left there.
The real hope is he sticks around in the first place. If he has UTEP winning 8 or 9 games, or winning a Conference Championship, I would imagine he would be entertaining offers from just about any other school in a more stable conference situation.

The real hope is he sticks around in the first place. If he has UTEP winning 8 or 9 games, or winning a Conference Championship, I would imagine he would be entertaining offers from just about any other school in a more stable conference situation.

I'd become a believer in Dismel if he did this next year against stronger competition. Being among the better of the shittiest for one season in year four of a coach's tenure isn't saying much. Do it again in year five then I'll start to believe.

Agree with all these! Though, Re: #3, should we do SBC any favors by taking UTA or UALR?

Imo winning in year four is more impressive than winning in year one or two. It shows that they're winning with their recruits and not the former coaches.
To your point, the turnaround actually happened last year. Had it not been for Covid and teams using that as an excuse for not wanting to play in EP, I really believe the Miners would have won 5-6 games. The same core players from last year are playing this year and will be around next year. Dimel has delivered earlier than what he promised. This shows the team is headed in the right direction. The core players on this team are also his recruits. He’s learned how to rebuild dying programs from all the years he coached along Bill Snyder.

To your point, the turnaround actually happened last year. Had it not been for Covid and teams using that as an excuse for not wanting to play in EP, I really believe the Miners would have won 5-6 games. The same core players from last year are playing this year and will be around next year. Dimel has delivered earlier than what he promised. This shows the team is headed in the right direction. The core players on this team are also his recruits. He’s learned how to rebuild dying programs from all the years he coached along Bill Snyder.
I agree, had USM, UNT, and NMSU played us in EP like they were supposed to, we would have finished 6-4. Even if Covid had never happened and we played our regular schedule I think we would have finished 4-8 or 5-7.

Dimel has won 9 games in year 3 and 4. He's missing 4 games from last year and at least five from this year.

In comparison Price won 9 games in years 3 and 4.

Kugler also won 9 games in years 3 and 4.

Of what good is it to win in years 1 or 2 and then never win again with your own recruits?

Imo winning in year four is more impressive than winning in year one or two. It shows that they're winning with their recruits and not the former coaches.
That is the philosophical difference between UTEP and other programs. You’re allowed to win in year 4 because there was no pressure to win in years 1 and 2. We will never know how things would have gone last year. UTEP replaced games with NMSU, Nevada, and Texas Tech with Abilene Christian, SFA, and La-Monroe. One is significantly easier than the other.

That is the philosophical difference between UTEP and other programs. You’re allowed to win in year 4 because there was no pressure to win in years 1 and 2. We will never know how things would have gone last year. UTEP replaced games with NMSU, Nevada, and Texas Tech with Abilene Christian, SFA, and La-Monroe. One is significantly easier than the other.
I still think we win at least four games. NMSU, UNT, USM and RICE. All home games, all didn't want to play in EP.

Realistically it wasn't going to happen in year 1 or 2. Every coach that applied for the job knew what they were getting into. They knew the problem at hand and maybe only someone of Saban's quality could turn this around sooner. Other than that any rookie coach would have started his coaching career 2-22. Maybe 4-20. No established coach wanted to add 20+ losses to his record in the first two seasons.

I still think we win at least four games. NMSU, UNT, USM and RICE. All home games, all didn't want to play in EP.

Realistically it wasn't going to happen in year 1 or 2. Every coach that applied for the job knew what they were getting into. They knew the problem at hand and maybe only someone of Saban's quality could turn this around sooner. Other than that any rookie coach would have started his coaching career 2-22. Maybe 4-20. No established coach wanted to add 20+ losses to his record in the first two seasons.
We can speculate all day about how they may have done last year, we will never know.

UNM fired Mike Locksley 4 games into his 3rd year and he will probably get fired after this year at Maryland (his 3rd) if things don’t improve. That’s what I am saying, UTEP and NMSU give their coaches longer than others. No pressure or expectations.

We can speculate all day about how they may have done last year, we will never know.

UNM fired Mike Locksley 4 games into his 3rd year and he will probably get fired after this year at Maryland (his 3rd) if things don’t improve. That’s what I am saying, UTEP and NMSU give their coaches longer than others. No pressure or expectations.
You could provide context for Locksley. His firing had as much to do with his off field incidents as it did with his on field production.

Yes Big 10 schools have money to fire and hire whoever they want. UTEP struggles to raise money needed for a simple stadium renovation.

Dimel has never been a consistent winner as a HC. We’re in uncharted waters with him.

UTA ok, but UALR/Grand Canyon? Yawn.

Reactions: kickballpro
UTA ok, but UALR/Grand Canyon? Yawn.
Grand canyon hoops is legit. Probably the best arena atmosphere in our region. They're also not afraid to dump a ton of money into their program.

To me the larger concern is associating with a private-for-profit religious institution. It isn't a good look.

Reactions: kickballpro
Grand canyon hoops is legit. Probably the best arena atmosphere in our region. They're also not afraid to dump a ton of money into their program.

To me the larger concern is associating with a private-for-profit religious institution. It isn't a good look.

Why is that such a concern? Or is that just a personal thing?

Why is that such a concern? Or is that just a personal thing?
It's not a great look in academia. They're literally the only for profit Division I basketball program.

Competitively I don't care. They invest in their programs and in a short time have put together a competitive programs. It would definitely improve the new CUSA in olympic sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT