ADVERTISEMENT

This is not the WORST UTEP team I've seen, but the least fun to watch.

SJSU pays their coach $850K so a $700k salary in a low cost of living city and less taxes should be very enticing. NMSU's coaches base salary was half of what UTEP offered and we know what the record against them has been. With a disaster of a first year first time DI head coach getting the largest margin of victory over UTEP (for a first year head coach) is unacceptable. What can Golding do to prevent a split and another huge defeat from happening a firm vetted coach? Townson lost a 17.7 ppg player to the portal. How do we get those types of players who would mesh with this team and not lose out?

Reactions: kickballpro
I remember after they held the final interviews, the rumors were that UTEP chose Tang. I even believe I saw that on someone’s Twitter as breaking news. And then it was a couple of days, and they said it was Golding. My theory is that Tang was Utep’s first choice but Utep couldn’t make the money work. Pure speculation on my part though but makes sense to me.
It’s pretty safe to say that Tang was interested and so was UTEP. He was definitely in the running. Where as Tim Hardaway, Greg Foster, and Billy Gillispie were not.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
SJSU pays their coach $850K so a $700k salary in a low cost of living city and less taxes should be very enticing. NMSU's coaches base salary was half of what UTEP offered and we know what the record against them has been. With a disaster of a first year first time DI head coach getting the largest margin of victory over UTEP (for a first year head coach) is unacceptable. What can Golding do to prevent a split and another huge defeat from happening a firm vetted coach? Townson lost a 17.7 ppg player to the portal. How do we get those types of players who would mesh with this team and not lose out?
We have a NIL collective for basketball now when we didn't before. Let's see if that helps.

Does anyone know how much is available to players?
Most likely less or the same than our peers. Maybe a little more. In reality nothing changes with recruiting. Either you can scout talent and close the deal or you can’t.

So if there's a NIL collective, where do we find info on it? How would someone contribute to it?

So if there's a NIL collective, where do we find info on it? How would someone contribute to it?

👍

Will the players commit their entire eligibility to UTEP? If not, F-them! It’s cheaper to bring in new recruits every year.
I don't believe UTEP usually offers 4-year schollies to athletes. Some of the major conferences like the Big Ten mandate it, but the NCAA does not, and that's why Floyd and Terry over-recruited and ran off some of their players. If UTEP does not commit to 4 year guarantees, why should the players?

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerManiac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT