ADVERTISEMENT

This team is salvageable, but Kugler is too hardheaded

minermx07

MI Regular
Sep 6, 2009
Metz threw a bunch of pick sixes and was benched, but he has division 1 talent and athleticism. Metz can make all the throws, take a beating, run, and see over an offensive line. He is currently a one read QB who telegraphs his throws, but those things are easily fixed with coaching and play calling (putting three receivers to one side, running pick plays, playaction in jumbo sets, giving him a run or throw option). Leftwich isn't fixable, he can't compete at this level or FCS, or division 3.

Kugler and his staff get payed real money to win games, but they care more about making their points about their beliefs and burying Price than they do about putting the best players in the field or putting them in a position to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Metz is nowhere near ready to play at this level. He strugles reading defense and going through progessions. The biggest issue he has is that he is mentally fragile. I dont think he has the mental makeup to play qb at this level. I like the kid, i think hes going to be a good player but at reciever not qb.

Leftwich gets a bad wrap because he is small. He can make all the throws. The gameplan didnt help him in the first two and a half games. I dont know if he can play qb at this level but we will soon find out. I do know he is the smartest qb we have on the roster and his intangibles are far superior to any of our other qbs. I think Kavika is our qb of the future. I expect by spring he will be the guy. I just hope Leftwich or Johnson takes the reigns and holds on. If neither can play, we are screwed because our future qb is not on the roster.

I'm a fan of whichever qb can get the job done. Metz certainly did it against NMSU but he does make freshman mistakes. Once he gains experience, he will be very good, imho. Leftwich has actually done a good job of taking care of the ball and has moved the team but after re-watching the first half of the game vs NMSU and seeing 3 big dropped passes, I can't blame him for the Miners trailing the Aggies at the half. He placed 2 passes in the hands of receivers in the endzone that were just blatant drops. Another pass that was dropped in the middle of the field would have been a huge gain and kept that drive alive, possibly that pass play could have gone for a td as well. The OL, supposedly our strength, could not convert a 3rd and 1 to keep another drive alive. I'm not saying that Leftwich will be a huge star at qb, I don't know, but he has not been the problem when he was running the offense. And, the defense has been awful on top of the lackluster offense.

Leftwich I do know he is the smartest qb we have on the roster and his intangibles are far superior to any of our other qbs.....

:(Oh....crap....

We're screwed!! UTEP still has La. Tech and Rice and at a very much improved S. Miss team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT