ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Senter's NIL comments today.

Which boosters? They are too busy, dishing out to other programs. Let’s face it, UTEP is 2nd fiddle, and that sucks. They had an opportunity, during the Price early years to change the culture, they blew it. This new administration has already accepted defeat and have no vision for the future. It shows, this isn’t the 1st time, Senter has said something stupid. Wilson is too busy, with her AF buddies to care.
If the window of "opportunity" was during the early Price years then surely that lets Senter off the hook. The current landscape is not something he can control.

The current landscape does not support an academic mission. It is no longer about providing scholarship opportunities for athletes to earn a higher education. Now it is about funding and luring professional athletes through free agency. The best players will leave to go where they're paid more. I don't see how this can be sustainable outside the Big Ten and SEC. The market isn't there to support 130 professional college teams on equal footing.

If the window of "opportunity" was during the early Price years then surely that lets Senter off the hook. The current landscape is not something he can control.

The current landscape does not support an academic mission. It is no longer about providing scholarship opportunities for athletes to earn a higher education. Now it is about funding and luring professional athletes through free agency. The best players will leave to go where they're paid more. I don't see how this can be sustainable outside the Big Ten and SEC. The market isn't there to support 130 professional college teams on equal footing.
It isn’t supposed to be equal footing. The star players command the top $$$.

if it’s money, why hasn’t anyone dished out money for a decent quarterback? It’s just one, right? Surely someone out there can give them an NIL deal?
It’s about salesmanship. Say you’re recruiting a good QB. You help package up a deal with one of your sponsors or a top local advertiser. Say it’s a car dealer. Said QB gets a slick car, does appearances, is featured in ads, is paid. These are one year deals with zero obligation that the player starts or even plays or stays. It’s not that hard, but it takes salesmanship.

Reactions: shyminer81
It’s about salesmanship. Say you’re recruiting a good QB. You help package up a deal with one of your sponsors or a top local advertiser. Say it’s a car dealer. Said QB gets a slick car, does appearances, is featured in ads, is paid. These are one year deals with zero obligation that the player starts or even plays or stays. It’s not that hard, but it takes salesmanship.
At the SEC schools, the boosters will pay the players without ever really expecting a full return on their investment, because they are super-fans and that's what they live for. Their goal in life is to cheer on their team and they are willing to part with big $ to do it.

The El Paso car dealers are actually expecting a return on their investment. So are they willing to pony up as much as the SEC super-fans?

Reactions: FedupMiner
At the SEC schools, the boosters will pay the players without ever really expecting a full return on their investment, because they are super-fans and that's what they live for. Their goal in life is to cheer on their team and they are willing to part with big $ to do it.

The El Paso car dealers are actually expecting a return on their investment. So are they willing to pony up as much as the SEC super-fans?
I think in EP, you gotta work a little harder, especially for the football team.

The Hunt’s started an NIL for MBB, and said part of the reason was they felt they could make a bigger impact there (fewer players).

Hunt’s don’t care about advertising.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPMiners8106

I don’t think the right sponsor would be a hardliner about ROI. I mean look at the moronic TV ads they run now. I’d love to punch “We are Bravo” dumbass in the jaw.

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I think in EP, you gotta work a little harder, especially for the football team.

The Hunt’s started an NIL for MBB, and said part of the reason was they felt they could make a bigger impact there (fewer players).

Hunt’s don’t care about advertising.
Yes. UTEP has the Hunts, which is enough to do NIL for the smaller basketball team. The SEC teams have enough Hunts to fund their football teams at a very high level.

That was a racist thing to say.
I'm sure he doesn't consider his coaches inmates??
He was talking about boosters (which I originally said and he later confirmed when he tweeted his clarification). Race has nothing to do with it.

True. When Nick Saban is talking about how the playing field is no longer level, the UTEPs of the world can kiss any and all chances away one by one.

I’m absolutely convinced that the G5 will become the new FCS-ish.

That was a racist thing to say.
I'm sure he doesn't consider his coaches inmates??
He should have to get sensitivity training, meet with local minority leaders and make a large monetary contribution to a minority charity in order to be reinstated to his position.

Sounds like Kappy, Colin, Rachel, or the ghost of Lou Romano should ask UTEP athletes their thoughts on Senter’s comments!! 👀
What’s there to ask? You guys are acting like Senter went into a full Kanye West meltdown. Fact of the matter is this: if anyone thinks they deserve to get paid they can go into the transfer portal and see what “riches” await. But the fact of the matter is this: the vast majority of these guys are going command very little if any money.

• Haha
Reactions: shyminer81
What’s there to ask? You guys are acting like Senter went into a full Kanye West meltdown. Fact of the matter is this: if anyone thinks they deserve to get paid they can go into the transfer portal and see what “riches” await. But the fact of the matter is this: the vast majority of these guys are going command very little if any money.
We can't really afford to lose anybody that can command money elsewhere.

Reactions: Lil_Train
He was talking about boosters (which I originally said and he later confirmed when he tweeted his clarification). Race has nothing to do with it.
Yeah right there is no way to backtrack from that. It definitely has to do with race. What is he saying the boosters are guards, and players are the inmates?? He is the warden? You probably work for him and trying to defend his statement?

We can't really afford to lose anybody that can command money elsewhere.
How much money would a guy like a Byers command from Miami? If you’re chasing NIL money you possibly risk hurting yourself in the long run. On hand you go to Miami and you get paid, but are you guaranteed a starting spot? You could easily disappear down the depth chart. But if you stay at UTEP you’re playing week in and week out. If Miami is offering you there’s a shot NFL scouts are looking too.

Reactions: FedupMiner
How much money would a guy like a Byers command from Miami? If you’re chasing NIL money you possibly risk hurting yourself in the long run. On hand you go to Miami and you get paid, but are you guaranteed a starting spot? You could easily disappear down the depth chart. But if you stay at UTEP you’re playing week in and week out. If Miami is offering you there’s a shot NFL scouts are looking too.
Miami isn’t the desert, so there’s that

Reactions: utep-piggy
Miami isn’t the desert, so there’s that.
I don’t disagree. He’s obviously a highly touted player and he’s making a name for himself. I don’t follow Miami football but does he slot into a starting spot at that program?

Agreed. I just don't want to keep losing talented players. Definitely want him and all the players to do what they think is best for themselves.

Reactions: utep2step
https://www.businessinsider.com/how...tting-paid-from-nil-endorsement-deals-2021-12

It says here that 140+ Arkansas student athletes averaged around 4K for the NIL deals. So, I don’t know if money is the driving factor. But if a bigger school calls you have to listen.
I don't think Arkansas has the money Miami does. But I think he's leaving because UTEP lacks a lot of the basic amenities. Also, I know he is tired of the laxidasical attitude that has permeated the program. He's been involved in a few heated conversations with the running backs refusing to block in passing situations.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I don't think Arkansas has the money Miami does. But I think he's leaving because UTEP lacks a lot of the basic amenities. Also, I know he is tired of the laxidasical attitude that has permeated the program. He's been involved in a few heated conversations with the running backs refusing to block in passing situations.
Fair enough. Anyone that feels they can do better who are we to stop them.

Back at the far west Texas UTEP Ponderosa, Florida State offers Byers:

"The Seminoles wasted no time getting to work to begin the week after some early activity in the portal. On Monday evening, Florida State offered UTEP offensive line transfer Jeremiah Byers, who noted head coach Mike Norvell and offensive coordinator/offensive line coach, Alex Atkins, in his post on social media. "

https://www.si.com/college/fsu/football/florida-state-offers-all-conference-tackle-from-utep

Sounds like Kappy, Colin, Rachel, or the ghost of Lou Romano should ask UTEP athletes their thoughts on Senter’s comments!! 👀
why-him-why-him-gi-fs.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT