ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Senter's NIL comments today.

Shouldn't an AD like Senter be embracing the NIL instead of trashing it, and kinda trashing student athletes at the same time??

Thoughts? I personally don't think he or any AD should be saying this.

Interesting he used prison as an analogy. I guess he prefers when young adults are a captive audience instead of having choices. Choices means he has to do better instead of telling them to deal with it

I don’t disagree with what he’s saying but at the same time how many schools are in UTEP’s position? Lower level schools are in a position where they’re trying to find a way to make it work in the NIL era.

Reactions: NeptunianEmp
Bigwood is 100% correct.

Does Senter actually expect that a kid will go to UTEP because of the business school when he can make a ton of money at another school?

It’s Hunt business 101, go to the job that pays the most.

Sounds like someone that is in way over their head. We were always at a disadvantage because of our facilities. He don't have to worry about finding 50+ million to make improvements and help us keep up with the Jones. All he has to do is find 2 million a year to pay the football team 50k a player. That's what we need to finally be at a recruiting advantage. Instead of embracing this opportunity that levels the playing field he's looking for excuses why he's going to fail at it.

I don’t disagree with what he’s saying but at the same time how many schools are in UTEP’s position? Lower level schools are in a position where they’re trying to find a way to make it work in the NIL era.
A school in UTEP's position should be hitting up the Tiguas, Charlie Clark, the Hunt's, Mountain Star Sports Group, local barbers, tattoo artists, locally owned shoes and clothing stores, more car dealerships, country clubs, local fancy restaurant owners and pull them together to plot on NIL chances even if they are small for UTEP advertising ops or other perks, I am sure that is against NCAA by laws but in my opinion that is how a lower level school can make it work, not like they will be rolling in cash but its start and its something to offer.

If you look at the names in the Transfer Portal, it’s everyone’s worst fears about the future coming true today. Free agency has begun in CFB. Big Big names available to the highest bidders.

It’s get on board or be left behind. Like Corona mentioned, it’s the new arms race.

We failed to embrace the facilities wars and if we fail to embrace NIL wars, then we might as well turn the Sun Bowl into the College of Nursing.

If you look at the names in the Transfer Portal, it’s everyone’s worst fears about the future coming true today. Free agency has begun in CFB. Big Big names available to the highest bidders.

It’s get on board or be left behind. Like Corona mentioned, it’s the new arms race.

We failed to embrace the facilities wars and if we fail to embrace NIL wars, then we might as well turn the Sun Bowl into the College of Nursing.
Put this comment in the Miner Digs HOF. +10000000000

Shouldn't an AD like Senter be embracing the NIL instead of trashing it, and kinda trashing student athletes at the same time??

When he talks about the inmates, I take it as the boosters/bag men who used to pay players under the table. Now they just pay them out in the open and there seem to be no limits.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
When he talks about the inmates, I take it as the boosters/bag men who used to pay players under the table. Now they just pay them out in the open and there seem to be no limits.
I was thinking the same, but when I saw the second tweet about athletes asking the coaches about NIL so its a very weird statement(s) to make about it either way.

Hard to disagree with him. Mack Brown says he is struggling saving players who like being at UNC from leaving because of the money they are being offered to transfer.

A school in UTEP's position should be hitting up the Tiguas, Charlie Clark, the Hunt's, Mountain Star Sports Group, local barbers, tattoo artists, locally owned shoes and clothing stores, more car dealerships, country clubs, local fancy restaurant owners and pull them together to plot on NIL chances even if they are small for UTEP advertising ops or other perks, I am sure that is against NCAA by laws but in my opinion that is how a lower level school can make it work, not like they will be rolling in cash but its start and its something to offer.
I don’t disagree with you but I wonder how much more the Tiguas and Charlie Clark are willing to give on top of what they’re already giving. I think more than anything UTEP has to find a way to get the common alumni on board to give to UTEP. To fund NIL money for the football team even at 5k per player would be 300,000 for a group of 60 players. The lack of backing from the community and alumni will a always be the downfall for this athletic department.

I find this comment by Senter very offensive and they should definitely fire him for this.

That and the terrible shape of the athletic department.
You’re just using this comment as an excuse to say you want Senter fired. If you think he’s done a bad job and he should not be AD, that’s fine and I get it. I question his ability to navigate the waters of being AD myself. But to act like this comment is so awful he should be fired is comedic. You’re just looking for a reason to justify his firing.

You’re just using this comment as an excuse to say you want Senter fired. If you think he’s done a bad job and he should not be AD, that’s fine and I get it. I question his ability to navigate the waters of being AD myself. But to act like this comment is so awful he should be fired is comedic. You’re just looking for a reason to justify his firing.
Exactly

Yeah, it was a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Also under her watch we fielded some of the best teams in UTEP history.
What? She was President from 1988-2019. In her 31 year tenure we made 6 bowl games (losing all 6) and were co conference champions once. If we consider bowl games as the benchmark for success that means 20% of her tenure was successful. Her tenure as President was just as successful as Dimel’s tenure as FB coach.

If she was the football coach she would have been shitcanned by the mid 90s. So no… her tenure sucked.

Reactions: MinerFan79
What? She was President from 1988-2019. In her 31 year tenure we made 6 bowl games (losing all 6) and were co conference champions once. If we consider bowl games as the benchmark for success that means 20% of her tenure was successful.

If she was the football coach she would have been shitcanned by the mid 90s. So no… her tenure sucked.
Yes, like I said under her watch we experienced some of the best seasons UTEP has ever lived. I doubt she would have been shitcanned. If a 7 win coach survives then I imagine a 10 win coach would too.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Senter is a complete jackass regardless of the comment context and the whole nation now sees it, no AD should basically be saying we are getting our assess handed to us because we can't keep up, remember when they bragged about his record breaking fundraising at the Citadel? UTSA has a NIL collective started by fans, the hell is Senter doing to keep up besides crying about it?

Houston's Kelvin Sampson says it best, coaches and players win games, but administrators win championships and UTEP admins are clueless duds. See ya'll later.

What? She was President from 1988-2019. In her 31 year tenure we made 6 bowl games (losing all 6) and were co conference champions once. If we consider bowl games as the benchmark for success that means 20% of her tenure was successful. Her tenure as President was just as successful as Dimel’s tenure as FB coach.

Shhh facts confuse him

It was handed down from SCOTUS so it is an enforceable athletic budget item for colleges regarding market value for an athletes' services so how he feels does not matter. He has to deal with it. Tough road apples!

Now, I'm not trolling Senter, but we all know that he is deeply religious but to make a profound point to him because his comment is not quite being on the mark, one should ask him how a woman feels after the SCOTUS Dobbs decision from this past summer? I'm pretty sure some would expound the same feelings as "inmates running the prison" as he feels about regarding the NIL. It is not about the strong attitudes of left or right politics, my point is about a decision from up high and the need to have a sense of urgency in dealing with it.

Does your foreman know you’re taking breaks to message on here ? Get back to paving thatroad
How original 🙄 making fun of an honest wage.

Shhh facts confuse him
It doesn't change the fact from my original statement. Under her we've also enjoyed some of the best seasons in UTEP football history. Doesn't change all the bad football under her. Believe it or not people can do both good and bad things at their job. I simply pointed out the good she did while you focused on the bad.

Shhh facts confuse him
People want to wax poetic about her tenure as President, but it’s not like she was president when UTEP was competing in both basketball and football in the 1960s. She just caught the end of the Don Haskins era and under her watch the once successful basketball program just withered up and died.

Granted she grew the university from an academic standpoint but let’s not forget the education department was at risk of losing their accreditation in 2013. She should have gotten the boot years ago.

People want to wax poetic about her tenure as President, but it’s not like she was president when UTEP was competing in both basketball and football in the 1960s. She just caught the end of the Don Haskins era and under her watch the once successful basketball program just withered up and died.

Granted she grew the university from an academic standpoint but let’s not forget the education department was at risk of losing their accreditation in 2013.
That’s all correct

It was handed down from SCOTUS so it is an enforceable athletic budget item for colleges regarding market value for an athletes' services so how he feels does not matter. He has to deal with it. Tough road apples!

Now, I'm not trolling Senter, but we all know that he is deeply religious but to make a profound point to him because his comment is not quite being on the mark, one should ask him how a woman feels after the SCOTUS Dobbs decision from this past summer? I'm pretty sure some would expound the same feelings as "inmates running the prison" as he feels about regarding the NIL. It is not about the strong attitudes of left or right politics, my point is about a decision from up high and the need to have a sense of urgency in dealing with it.
“How a woman feels”

I’d partner with KVIA to package up ad deals that pay the players for appearing in ads, at events, etc. Leverage their sales force to get some deals going.

UTSA has a NIL collective started by fans, the hell is Senter doing to keep up besides crying about it?
Well, that's key: the funding for NIL is not supposed to come from the university. It is all supposed to come from the fans, from third parties. If Senter tries to organize it, he's breaking the one and only rule that supposedly governs all this. Where he would probably have a role is allowing UTEP's name and logo to be used in conjunction with players' NIL. But UTEP can't control a NIL fund that they use to pay players.

Don't get on Senter's case if there's no NIL funding. Where are the boosters?

Well, that's key: the funding for NIL is not supposed to come from the university. It is all supposed to come from the fans, from third parties. If Senter tries to organize it, he's breaking the one and only rule that supposedly governs all this. Where he would probably have a role is allowing UTEP's name and logo to be used in conjunction with players' NIL. But UTEP can't control a NIL fund that they use to pay players.

Don't get on Senter's case if there's no NIL funding. Where are the boosters?
Which boosters? They are too busy, dishing out to other programs. Let’s face it, UTEP is 2nd fiddle, and that sucks. They had an opportunity, during the Price early years to change the culture, they blew it. This new administration has already accepted defeat and have no vision for the future. It shows, this isn’t the 1st time, Senter has said something stupid. Wilson is too busy, with her AF buddies to care.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT