ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Floyd: "If you blame it on me, you don't get it"

Dec 22, 2016
In regards to Lee Moore, Vince Hunter, and Josh McSwiggan leaving the program, and why UTEP has lost 12 straight for the first time since the 1930's. According to Floyd no other team in mid-major hoops can battle through that. Heard that before right? Like every game during this losing streak?

He said this on the post game radio show, no apologies, no accountability, it just gets worse, and worse, and worse...

Thoughts?

This shit sandwich was made by CTF, now he has to eat it, no matter how much he hemms and haws about how he made it.

Another thing, any "progress" this team shows the rest of this year will mean absolutely nothing, because most of these players on this team will not make next years any better. Maybe except for Thomas and Jones, the rest of the players are periphery players at best.(Omega being the only stud)

My thoughts are simple we have been on this decline for about 4 years now and he should have had this sense of urgency back then. The program has gotten to this point solely because he didn't care enough to address the issues that everyone saw coming and to say we have guys coming in next year to turn this around is some more of the trust me bullshit. We know who is supposed to be coming and it really not going to change a thing. If he stays I foresee a crap cupcake schedule again probably win 17 games and he and the incompetent football coach ( Stull ) saying see we told you so we're getting better when in fact we are only easing the schedule and letting them lower our expectations. As the CEO of our basketball program and me being a stockholder you have not given me any reason to think anything will change next year and only foresee the program stuck where it is for years to come and for the good of this company we restart and bring in new blood.

I am starting to believe this whole season has been a prank and at the end of the season it will all come out that we were all on "candid camera". Anybody reading these quotes would think they are not real. How any coach can gets away with saying these things without accountability is beyond me.

Reactions: alvinosports
Tim Floyd is like the spoiled child who gets everything he wants and comes home with all F's on his report card and his parents blame the teachers. This is what Floyd is- a spoiled child. He has taken no accountability and has taken zero responsibility for his actions. Bob Stull is like the parent who keeps enabling him. Things will never change unless the "parent" stops enabling the "child".

I am starting to believe this whole season has been a prank and at the end of the season it will all come out that we were all on "candid camera". Anybody reading these quotes would think they are not real. How any coach can gets away with saying these things without accountability is beyond me.
Please don't talk about accountability, mutt. Everyone else on this forum has a perfect right. You are but a shameless snake. Accountability my a $$.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I've been guilty of ragging on Millennials for shirking responsibility at times, but Floyd is a Boomer who should know better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uteper
We've all heard the same old TF defense "who are we going to bring in that's better than Floyd." Well UTSA finished 5-27 last season. This year under new first time HC Henson they already surpassed their win total from last season (7-9 current record). They beat La Tech in Ruston something Floyd hasn't accomplished as HC as UTEP. So at this point anyone with assistant coaching experience would do a better job. Floyd needs to retire.

Floyd must be in complete denial. He is in CYA mode. Wants to save his national reputation or whats left of it. Of course its his fault.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
The baby boomers are the people who raised millenials. They have a lot of shared values.

Well, to nitpick just a bit: boomers raised gen-Xers, who raised millennials.

But I will respectfully disagree. I teach millennials and most of mine work their asses off.

True story: this past semester, I had a student suddenly stop coming to class. Come to find out she and three other girls took bullets intended for someone else. She had emergency surgery. (All of this was documented) A few days after surgery, she starts sending me the homework she's missed and apologizes for the inconvenience! She takes the final exam and aces it.

Well, that's MY experience will millennials. Maybe athletes are a different story, but let's not overgeneralize here.

lieb

But I will respectfully disagree. I teach millennials and most of mine work their asses off.

True story: this past semester, I had a student suddenly stop coming to class. Come to find out she and three other girls took bullets intended for someone else. She had emergency surgery. (All of this was documented) A few days after surgery, she starts sending me the homework she's missed and apologizes for the inconvenience! She takes the final exam and aces it.

Well, that's MY experience will millennials. Maybe athletes are a different story, but let's not overgeneralize here.

lieb

I'm admittedly biased -- I have 18 and 20 year-old sons that are works in progress.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
No it's not technically his fault but he recruited good high caliber players who had every intention of going pro as soon as opportunity arose. So IMO, he 's correct but unlike Kentucky was has a seventy five percent recruit to NBA sucess rate, mid majors much less any p5 school, don't have that success. As a high caliber player why come to UTEP for limited action sitting in line behind a Hunter, Moore, a top transfer like D.A. when you have St Mary's, a Wichita State or even an Arizona State type teams who offered you as well? This has actually happened under CTF; he gets burned by these recruits (even those who did come to UTEP) who say "to heck with this and leave". They're not looking at this saying to themselves "hey, I'm wearing a Miner uniform" or "I'm getting a free and quality college education". Floyd doesn't recruit those type of players to be starters to execute his philosophy of the hardwood. To do that he goes after high risk, high reward players. Hunter and Moore are good exmples: They play at a higher level and fun to watch as a fan for a year or two. So what he is left with are his supporting cast players who do give it their all, are good students and follow is rules and style of play and that's why I support the team but I don't support is his approach. If he is going to sign a juco stud like Moore (high risk, high reward type player), he better have a good backup plan behind that type of player because making a six figure salary overseas playing ball is much more appealing than sitting in class for four or five years.

Second, saying a comment like that is not a good idea. I don't think he meant harm by it but he just has to remember Kugler's comment a while back about how he fealt fans attitude towards losing many games and dwindling attendance. Don't help the "casual fan" with their decision. A d1 coach in a major revenue sport has his role as amassador hightened three fold whether he or she accepts it or not. That's why d1 programs pay more. For example, Popular Mattress is a local business and support UTEP; but if they publicly said they're fine with just their core supporters or fine, be made at us but you don't understand, they will eventually lose revenue. Floyd is frustrated, but he gambled on players for quick impact, which is fine and logical, but have a better back up plan.

Finally, wins against Xavier and Tennessee are great in December, but you have to win come conference tournament time. You can only blame the conference affiliation on your radio show only so much for providing a reason why you didn't get selected, but you have to win some conference tournaments, otherwise apply for Texas State or Rice HC
when that job opens up. This is UTEP basketball.

Reactions: HoustonDan

lieb

Baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 and millenials were born starting in 1982, so there were baby boomers that raised millenials. Baby roomers raised gen-Xers and millenials.

Well technically two declared for the NBA draft. I view it as they would rather leave early than play another year..... I guess I just do not get it....

So IMO, he 's correct but unlike Kentucky was has a seventy five percent recruit to NBA sucess rate, mid majors much less any p5 school, don't have that success. As a high caliber player why come to UTEP for limited action sitting in line behind a Hunter, Moore, a top transfer like D.A. when you have St Mary's, a Wichita State or even an Arizona State type teams who offered you as well?

I had to read more to get a good laugh.

Why isn't this happening at NMSU? Maybe I missed it, but I don't see them having this many problems with recruiting. I don't think any team has this many problems with recruiting. This is all on Floyd and there is a reason this is a huge turnover rate.

No it's not technically his fault but he recruited good high caliber players who had every intention of going pro as soon as opportunity arose. So IMO, he 's correct but unlike Kentucky was has a seventy five percent recruit to NBA sucess rate, mid majors much less any p5 school, don't have that success. As a high caliber player why come to UTEP for limited action sitting in line behind a Hunter, Moore, a top transfer like D.A. when you have St Mary's, a Wichita State or even an Arizona State type teams who offered you as well? This has actually happened under CTF; he gets burned by these recruits (even those who did come to UTEP) who say "to heck with this and leave". They're not looking at this saying to themselves "hey, I'm wearing a Miner uniform" or "I'm getting a free and quality college education". Floyd doesn't recruit those type of players to be starters to execute his philosophy of the hardwood. To do that he goes after high risk, high reward players. Hunter and Moore are good exmples: They play at a higher level and fun to watch as a fan for a year or two. So what he is left with are his supporting cast players who do give it their all, are good students and follow is rules and style of play and that's why I support the team but I don't support is his approach. If he is going to sign a juco stud like Moore (high risk, high reward type player), he better have a good backup plan behind that type of player because making a six figure salary overseas playing ball is much more appealing than sitting in class for four or five years.

Second, saying a comment like that is not a good idea. I don't think he meant harm by it but he just has to remember Kugler's comment a while back about how he fealt fans attitude towards losing many games and dwindling attendance. Don't help the "casual fan" with their decision. A d1 coach in a major revenue sport has his role as amassador hightened three fold whether he or she accepts it or not. That's why d1 programs pay more. For example, Popular Mattress is a local business and support UTEP; but if they publicly said they're fine with just their core supporters or fine, be made at us but you don't understand, they will eventually lose revenue. Floyd is frustrated, but he gambled on players for quick impact, which is fine and logical, but have a better back up plan.

Finally, wins against Xavier and Tennessee are great in December, but you have to win come conference tournament time. You can only blame the conference affiliation on your radio show only so much for providing a reason why you didn't get selected, but you have to win some conference tournaments, otherwise apply for Texas State or Rice HC
when that job opens up. This is UTEP basketball.

Players like Hunter and Moore aren't really "high risk" when you know going in you're bringing in mercenaries.

And you're the fool if you bring in scrubs around them and bitch when they leave.

2 step we've heard every excuse in the book save it. Bottom line he's like the hot chick that you want to date only to find out she's physco and you can't get out if there fast enough. There's a reason everyone is trying to get out of here.

My point is Floyd keeps trying to make us believe that we have guys departing for the NBA which is a joke they're departing but not for the NBA not even Hunter. I would think that a huge part of his job is to be engaged enough with his players to know what is going on with them and keep them here. You can only use that excuse if you actually had NBA caliber players which you have not been able to recruit here so save your bullshit and understand that we know that the mass exodus is because of you period.

95f1617c163816ec00ff9c55803f184b.gif

Reactions: Rot and redrob
Floyd continues to blame Hunter, Moore, and McSwiggins for leaving, and he also keeps blaming the multiple injuries to Willms. But the NMSU comparison is extremely valid, as to why those excuses should not matter:

- UTEP lost Vince Hunter and Lee Moore, as they both left early to turn pro. NMSU also lost a matching 2 players early, as Pascal Siakam and Sim Bhular both left early to turn pro.

- UTEP lost a player in Josh McSwiggins, who was sitting out a year and expected to contribute the following year. NMSU had nearly an exact situation happen to them, as they had Anthony January on campus and sitting out a year, but then they lost him even though he was expected to contribute.

- UTEP depended on Center Matt Willms to be a difference maker. NMSU depended on Center Tanveer Bhular to also be a similar difference maker(and at least be as good as his brother). Both schools have dealt with the same issue of getting lower than expected production from those two similar players.

Despite having almost the exact matching issues that Floyd complains about, NMSU is currently rolling and has 4 wins this season over Arizona State, UTEP, and UNM. Not to mention that Floyd has also lost 8 out of 9 games to NMSU.

An additional thought, does anybody else besides Floyd think that UTEP would be significantly better right now even if McSwiggin had stayed? Does Floyd really and honestly believe that McSwiggin, who has never played a second of D1 basketball, would be a big enough difference maker that he could lead this team to double or triple our current win total? I'm sure that he has potential to be a good player, but would adding him this year have made this team even close to a .500 team? I doubt it. If so, then he should be the most heavily recruited JC player in the nation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT