ADVERTISEMENT

Tim

I actually think this could be a fun season if the following happens:

1. Wilms stays healthy
2. Kelvin Jones gets in the flow by conference play
3. no major injuries to starters

All those things happen then we could see a very solid backcourt with Artis and Harris, much improved defense under the basket with Wilms, Jones, Winn and Thomas and those same players getting a lot more rebounds than we had last year.

I actually think this could be a fun season if the following happens:

1. Wilms stays healthy
2. Kelvin Jones gets in the flow by conference play
3. no major injuries to starters

All those things happen then we could see a very solid backcourt with Artis and Harris, much improved defense under the basket with Wilms, Jones, Winn and Thomas and those same players getting a lot more rebounds than we had last year.
That's all well and good, but has any of that happened during Floyd's tenure?

Willms has never been healthy.
Player development hasn't exactly been this staff's strong point.
I guess we haven't had many injuries outside of Willms, but injuries are a crapshoot.

Reactions: UTEP05

I guess we haven't had many injuries outside of Willms, but injuries are a crapshoot.

He said IF, which reminds me of Kipling:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

I turned this off when Floyd said we are 12 hours from any place to recruit. He's so Full of BS with almost everything he says, I just don't know what to believe. El Paso is far from the Big Cities, but not that far from SA, Dallas, Austin, Phoenix and even Houston isn't 12 hours lol

I turned this off when Floyd said we are 12 hours from any place to recruit. He's so Full of BS with almost everything he says, I just don't know what to believe. El Paso is far from the Big Cities, but not that far from SA, Dallas, Austin, Phoenix and even Houston isn't 12 hours lol

I watched, because I find it fascinating watching Floyd create alternate universes only he believes in.

Like I said, I'm glad to see he was on his meds. I have seen his interviews and he's not that calm, pleasant and subdued. Could be a Johnny Walker- Black
label; who knows?.

Strange how El Paso has moved so far away from major talent centers since the days of Haskins, Gillispie, and Barbee. Guess I didn't notice.

Reactions: UTEP05 and unihorn

He certainly does have a tendency to embellish and exaggerate. To put it mildly.

Billy and Barbee were able to bring in great talent when they coached here. NMSU doesn't even have an airport and they have brought in better talent than Floyd has. They just had a 1st round draft pick in this years NBA draft. But all of a sudden its is a huge deal that El Paso is so far from the big cities. I am surprised he didn't bring up the "mess" he inherited from Barbee 6 years ago when he talked about last years season. If he is already making excuses, don't expect much from this years team. This guy thinks the only way you can be successful in CUSA is if your bringing in 5 star and 4 star players.

Billy and Barbee were able to bring in great talent when they coached here. NMSU doesn't even have an airport and they have brought in better talent than Floyd has. They just had a 1st round draft pick in this years NBA draft. But all of a sudden its is a huge deal that El Paso is so far from the big cities. I am surprised he didn't bring up the "mess" he inherited from Barbee 6 years ago when he talked about last years season. If he is already making excuses, don't expect much from this years team. This guy thinks the only way you can be successful in CUSA is if your bringing in 5 star and 4 star players.

Or the national epidemic of transfers and leaving early for the draft...

It's funny that NMSU can recruit well form other countries and the UTEP women's basketball team has been recruiting overseas for many years and have done very well. But, Floyd will always have an excuse for everything.

Going to be interesting to watch Chris Beard at Texas Tech this year -- he can flat out coach. We need a guy like him -- a fast riser.

I hate to burst your bubble but El Paso is 12 hours from Houston.... Just sayin lol
Sorry to burst you bubble, but the drive to Houston hasn't been 12 hours since the highway passed 65 bro, not sure where you've been the past 20 years! To be clear most people make it in 10, but if your taking your sweet time its 10 in a half! Oh and we do have an airport oh and like I said, Tim said we are 12 hours from the closest place to recruit! Please research and listen before trying to correct something that your wrong about!

Post research ?? First off I am not wrong about anything!! I make that trip at least 3 times a year .... And it takes between 11 1/2 to 12 hours to get there..... Well actually 11 but we usually stop to eat ( people eat on trips do I have to post research on that too) .....

And on another note

Who is Chris beard??

Sorry to burst you bubble, but the drive to Houston hasn't been 12 hours since the highway passed 65 bro, not sure where you've been the past 20 years! To be clear most people make it in 10, but if your taking your sweet time its 10 in a half! Oh and we do have an airport oh and like I said, Tim said we are 12 hours from the closest place to recruit! Please research and listen before trying to correct something that your wrong about!
Come on nattybry, it's 745 miles from EP to Houston. If you avg 70 mph with not stops for gas, food or urination you could make it in 10.5 hours. Otherwise it's going to be closer to 12. The fact that Tim whines about everything is a separate matter.

Gotta give you your due. Wilms is back in a boot so a healthy Wilms seems out of the question. And we only have one other true center and he is a freshman with no college experience and no back up. He is going to have to grow up fast for the Miners to be good.

Willms is back in a boot?

Well, can't say I'm surprised. His injury is not one that big men recover from easily, if at all.

The only thing that surprises me (although barely) is Floyd's decision to solely recruit the one position we have depth in. Just call us the UTEP "ankle bitter" Miners....

Reactions: develman
Post research ?? First off I am not wrong about anything!! I make that trip at least 3 times a year .... And it takes between 11 1/2 to 12 hours to get there..... Well actually 11 but we usually stop to eat ( people eat on trips do I have to post research on that too) .....

And on another note

Who is Chris beard??

Big 12 MBB is a grind, so he has his work cut out for him, but here's more re: Beard:

http://www.texastech.com/news/2016/...as_Tech_to_Lead_Men_s_Basketball_Program.aspx

Why are we even talking about "12 hour" road trips. Floyd doesn't drive to Houston to recruit.

He's an hour an a half away from several fertile recruiting grounds in Texas alone, by the preferred method of travel. "IF" he were to drive, he could be in SA within 8 hours and the DFW area within 9.5. He could also drive to both Tucson and Phoenix within 7.5 hours etc...but he ain't d r i v i n g!!!

CTH exaggerates in an attempt to gain sympathizers for his inability to put a good team together. Like someone else above said...see NMSU. Somehow Menzies and his predecessors got it done in an even more remote part of the earth.

Reactions: kickballpro
Even if El Paso was 20 minutes away from Houston, Floyd isn't going to only recruit players from the Houston area. he is still going to recruit all over the country. Why is being 12 hours from the nearest place to recruit a big issue now? He praises Jones a lot in that video, did he forget that he recruited Jones from Hobbs New Mexico, a few hours up the road from El Paso. I wonder what his next excuse is going to be???

Big 12 MBB is a grind, so he has his work cut out for him, but here's more re: Beard:

http://www.texastech.com/news/2016/...as_Tech_to_Lead_Men_s_Basketball_Program.aspx

Basketball is a grind period, at any level. You play more games, there is less stoppage in play so you have to be in great physical shape. It's a sport that requires the grace of a ballerina for footwork and the strength of a linebacker to play in the paint. You have to bench press like a running back (centers and forwards require more) but yet train in gym to get a leather bell in f'en small steel made cylinder most of the time. You have to know how to dribble that piece of leather at a full dead run (like your running away from your mother to avoid getting whipped type of dead run). You have to have "court presence" to know where your man is and the ball every split second (remember, there are way less stoppages of play) and Joe Fan can see every aspect of you as a player. You can't hide behind a helmet, there are no dugouts (chain or concrete bunkers), you are face front with officials, opponents, coaches at all times, from little league to the pros, fans are literally a few feet from you yelling stuff about your play and your mother and to top it off, because everyone can see you, you as a player must remain poker face to your opponent, ref, and teammates and "keep your head in the game". Now at high school and college you play over twenty five games (not including scrimmages) depending on your area or district and with all that mentioned about, play twice a week most times (more for tournaments) have to maintain your grades, not get distracted and also try not to fall asleep in class.

Only thing worse at times is parenthood.

Gotta give you your due. Wilms is back in a boot so a healthy Wilms seems out of the question. And we only have one other true center and he is a freshman with no college experience and no back up. He is going to have to grow up fast for the Miners to be good.
Can you please elaborate about Willms being in a boot? Is this inside info that the rest of us pedestrians are not privy to?

I just saw Paul Thomas at Home Depot on Mesa -- he looks ready to ball.

Can you please elaborate about Willms being in a boot? Is this inside info that the rest of us pedestrians are not privy to?
If you go to minerrush there is a link to practice interview on 10/13. The segment with coach Johnson is where he mentions that Wilms is back in a boot. Didn't say if sprain or the old injury acting up but he did say back in a boot.

If you go to minerrush there is a link to practice interview on 10/13. The segment with coach Johnson is where he mentions that Wilms is back in a boot. Didn't say if sprain or the old injury acting up but he did say back in a boot.

What I took from that interview is that the pain is in the foot he just had surgery on. Can't remember what lead me to interpret it that way, but I did.

The article says a minor sprain and probably out a couple weeks. Not bad on its face, but considering where the coaches have said his conditioning is, not the best news.

Listened to Phil Johnson interview again. Said about the foot, "It's healed, there's just some pain". That, to me, alludes to it being the previously injured foot.

And honestly it's not Wilms fault at all either which makes it really sad... It's the curse of a miner !

If

If only Willms had Claude Britten's feet.

If

If only I had Brad Pitt's mug, Donald Trump's millions, and Ron Jeremy's meat.

Reactions: Carlosergio
If

If only Willms had Claude Britten's feet.

If

If only I had Brad Pitt's mug, Donald Trump's millions, and Ron Jeremy's meat.

Not many dudes admit to having penis envy.

I wouldn't classify Wilms as being a "bust". Jon Bomba was a bust.

Not many dudes admit to having penis envy.

I wouldn't classify Wilms as being a "bust". Jon Bomba was a bust.

I'm more than adequate, but maybe not for every job:

Anastasiya-Kvitko5.jpg

Reactions: miner661
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT