ADVERTISEMENT

Totally 100% OT: Gene Simmons vs UT?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Gene "I love the limelight" Simmons has applied to the patent office for the famous hand gesture used at rock/metal concerts and widely used by horn fans. "Hook'em" the "El Cruzado" or the "Devil's horns" goes back decades. UT states they started in 1955 and it is protected. As far as rock goes, Gene says he started in 1974 but according to one entertainment site, John Lennon can clearly be seen using the hand gesture in a 60's“Yellow Submarine” and Ronnie James Dio starting using it and made it very, very popular in the late 70's.

c_111_front.jpg

The reason I bring it up is because what people like Bob Stull and other colleges have done with very popular signage, monikers, logos, you name it. Stull has gone after UTEP employees [private source. I am not allowed to disclose]. Notre Dame went after Cathedral High School and others. Sure some college runts like UTSA are not creative enough to come up with their own hand sign and Houston uses a hand sign that is also an explicit underground hand symbol that would make Vice President Pence put anyone using it in prison if he had his way. Just leave alone what has been used publicly for many lifetimes. What's next, Ford puts a patent on the "right hand turn" symbol to show other drivers when our tail lights go out?

The late Ronnie James Dio put it best and in perspective (the, "what does it matter?" perspective):
“I doubt very much if I would be the first one who ever did that. That’s like saying I invented the wheel, I’m sure someone did that at some other point. I think you’d have to say that I made it fashionable. I used it so much and all the time and it had become my trademark.”

https://www.hookem.com/2017/06/15/rock-em-gene-simmons-wants-trademark-familiar-looking-hand-sign/
http://jacksonville.com/entertainme...rns-story-behind-popular-rock-concert-gesture

The pickaxe handing is now used by every UT system school of than UT-Austin. I was at the nit quarter final game at UTA this year. They were using the pickaxe hand sign. Of course UTSA uses it and so does UTPB and UTRGV. Not sure about ut- tyler and ut-dallas but I have a sneaking suspicion they use it as well.

Ozzie Osbourne: another rock celeb flashing "Los Cuernos" when with Black Sabbath.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT