ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers

WestTx12

Rookie
Jul 31, 2018
Here is the scoop on the two kids who declared (one is back) for transfer portal

Jordan Lathon: A lot of people have been shredding this kid for leaving right before conference play. He has been a great player and kid for El Paso and UTEP. I have gotten to know many of the players and coaches and he is one of everyone's favorites off the court. He has some serious family issues that I will not go into that need his attention back home in Missouri. I wish him the best and family always comes first.

Nigel Hawkins: His parents wanted him to transfer because they were upset that he was a major contributor last year and this year is coming off the bench. He wants more minutes but I don't think he will get that much more playing time even with Lathon leaving. I believe Stroud and Tarke will start to the see the court a lot now, especially with how Coach was hyping both of them before the season. They are rough around the edges but once they get comfortable they have the potential to be Bryson Williams level or better, per Coach.

Conference play starts in an hour on ESPN+ at FIU. Today marks our big run to the Big Dance.

Lets Go Miners!

Here is the scoop on the two kids who declared (one is back) for transfer portal

Jordan Lathon: A lot of people have been shredding this kid for leaving right before conference play. He has been a great player and kid for El Paso and UTEP. I have gotten to know many of the players and coaches and he is one of everyone's favorites off the court. He has some serious family issues that I will not go into that need his attention back home in Missouri. I wish him the best and family always comes first.

Nigel Hawkins: His parents wanted him to transfer because they were upset that he was a major contributor last year and this year is coming off the bench. He wants more minutes but I don't think he will get that much more playing time even with Lathon leaving. I believe Stroud and Tarke will start to the see the court a lot now, especially with how Coach was hyping both of them before the season. They are rough around the edges but once they get comfortable they have the potential to be Bryson Williams level or better, per Coach.

Conference play starts in an hour on ESPN+ at FIU. Today marks our big run to the Big Dance.

Lets Go Miners!
Who are you?
I agree ..Go Miners

Reactions: WestTx12

Lets Go Miners!

Any scoop on Stroud debating a transfer?? He was the one I was truly worried about losing. Everyone talks about how high his ceiling is, we should definitely be trying to keep him

Reactions: miner1liner

Lets Go Miners!

Who is shredding Lathon?

I still think there’s more to it but If this is true, then I believe it was a coincidence they both declared around the same time.

It’s lame that nowadays some kids would rather transfer and hit the reset button instead of beating out your teammates for minutes.

Reactions: MinerJo
Parents need to let the kids make their own decisions.

I agree and it seems like they
I still think there’s more to it but If this is true, then I believe it was a coincidence they both declared around the same time.

It’s lame that nowadays some kids would rather transfer and hit the reset button instead of beating out your teammates for minutes.

The NCAA makes it too easy for kids to get unhappy and find a new home.

I agree and it seems like they

The NCAA makes it too easy for kids to get unhappy and find a new home.
As much as I hate using LaVar Ball as a reference I do agree with his philosophy of a young baller being able to determine his worth for his skills. What he leaves out is the cost to a college to support a player which is high at this current time and going the college route is still a good option unless you're the next LeBron James.

Just please stop with this "every kid gets an award" culture BS coaches spew for their lack of winning the conference. There is a new sector in business geared for 24/7 training for kids starting at middle school. Parents are sending kids to the best high school not for academics but sports.

Any scoop on Stroud debating a transfer?? He was the one I was truly worried about losing. Everyone talks about how high his ceiling is, we should definitely be trying to keep him

Stroud is staying.

Also, Coach had an allergic reaction to something so he's in the hospital in Florida right now.

I was able to snap a quick pic of WestTx12 earlier today.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: WestTx12
This is quickly becoming Floyd 2.0 in regards to the media.

Treating the media and fans in a condescending manner, 'trust me because I'm the coach and you are not' attitude doesn't fly anymore. I know there has to be a level of trust from the fans, but the coach has to be willing to interact with the fans/media as well.

It's obvious that we don't see practice, but we do see the games.

This is quickly becoming Floyd 2.0 in regards to the media.

Treating the media and fans in a condescending manner, 'trust me because I'm the coach and you are not' attitude doesn't fly anymore. I know there has to be a level of trust from the fans, but the coach has to be willing to interact with the fans/media as well.

It's obvious that we don't see practice, but we do see the games.

What is this in reference to?

Reactions: JCorona
What do you expect? We lost our point guard!

Uhhh, this isn’t anything new. Lathon was part of that equation.

And just for the record, I clarified that I didn’t believe Lathon threw any games. The thought crossed my mind. Little tidbit for you. It is estimated that 85%-90% of our 50,000-60,000 thoughts we have each day are not directed by our conscious mind. They just happen. Choice comes in as to whether we buy into whatever thought presents itself. Anyway...

Last edited:
There were posters suggesting Lathon has been throwing games. And lots of posts saying Lathon really isn't that good, etc.

I think losing Lathon really hurts.

If you’re not with us, you’re against us!

Since he’s not with us anymore, he’s against us! Terry has a new stud coming in to replace him. More like Jordan Lame-thon, am I right?

And just for the record, I clarified that I didn’t believe Lathon threw any games. The thought crossed my mind. It is estimated that 85%-90% of our 50,000-60,000 thoughts we have each day are not directed by our conscious mind. They just happen. Choice comes in as to whether we buy into whatever thought presents itself. Anyway...
As bad as we are playing maybe the whole team is involved in throwing the games. Lathon had a lot of help.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
The team, not just Coach, needs to figure out how to win on the road. I believe we are 0-19 in road games since Terry started. That is not just his fault, the players need to learn to travel and play just as hard as they do at home.

So you think stroud is staying with the team and has bought in? Or is it a see if he gets the minutes he wants and then if not will transfer in the summer!?!

So then we lost a good kid (lathon) for someone who wants his minutes handed to him (hawkins) and is more of a “me” mentality..... grrrrreat!

Lol. Here’s the big scoop.

The transfers aren’t as good as we thought, Terry isn’t as good we thought.

No one is throwing games. It’s called incompetence.

If this is true we’re going to have to stop the narrative that CRT is a good recruiter.;)

What will we be able to hang our hat on then?

Reactions: NewYorkCityMiner
If this is true we’re going to have to stop the narrative that CRT is a good recruiter.;)
They’re good players. I think a lot of us had them as high major/lower P type of talent. With the exception of Williams they’re your typical top half of conference players. They’ll keep us in a contention for a top five finish, It’s up to the coaching staff to mold them into a championship team.

They’re good players. I think a lot of us had them as high major/lower P type of talent. With the exception of Williams they’re your typical top half of conference players. They’ll keep us in a contention for a top five finish, It’s up to the coaching staff to mold them into a championship team.

I agree. Just being a smart azz. I think we have some talent but I have my doubts about CRT being able coach them up and certainly about his ability to assemble them in a way that creates some chemistry. Hope he proves me wrong.

A year and a half in, the chemistry part I have yet to see.

Alright then. I feel much better now that I know we can depend on the coaches.

And with all of this if we get a win on saturday we are still 10-5 which is not bad in a year 2 of a rebuild

And just for the record, I clarified that I didn’t believe Lathon threw any games. The thought crossed my mind. Little tidbit for you. It is estimated that 85%-90% of our 50,000-60,000 thoughts we have each day are not directed by our conscious mind. They just happen. Choice comes in as to whether we buy into whatever thought presents itself. Anyway...
Oh boy. Those thoughts can get you in trouble when they are made audible. I have got in trouble with wifey for that many a time.:(

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT