ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrin Smith isn't leaving

Could he have not said he was transferring to utep? Did he have to enter the portal first or is he considering other options by entering the portal?
I was wondering the same thing. Is one required to enter the portal, even if they know where they want to go?

Or…does he want to entertain other options? It’s a risk to do so. He might end up in the same situation as he did at A&M. He knows he would be the man at UTEP. Seems to me enough is enough and should be for Dimel. Make your mind up kid, or we’re movin is what DD should be saying at this point.

I was wondering the same thing. Is one required to enter the portal, even if they know where they want to go?

Or…does he want to entertain other options? It’s a risk to do so. He might end up in the same situation as he did at A&M. He knows he would be the man at UTEP. Seems to me enough is enough and should be for Dimel. Make your mind up kid, or we’re movin is what DD should be saying at this point.
Completely agree. What type of message would that send to the rest of the players out there busting their a$ $?? If smith was going to transfer here he should have without entertaining others. If not then we gotta go with what we have and let Smith find a spot in someone’s else depth chart

I heard (I don't know if it's true; I'm no expert and haven't looked into it) that sometimes when players already know where they're going, they'll enter the portal but with a "do not contact" tag. I don't know if entering the portal is just a formality for them or if it somehow helps with the paperwork, etc.

It could be that, since Tyrin DID transfer and join the Aggies, that he technically has to enter the portal to come back to UTEP. (He DID leave.) If that's the case, does he have a "do not contact" tag?

I expressed previously that if I were Dimel, I would take him back. But I would NOT take him back if he wants to test the portal again first. You've got a nice, warm spot in the starting rotation if you will come straight back to UTEP, do not pass Go, don't collect $200 (maybe the boosters can come up with a respectable NIL deal instead). If you have to enter the portal as a formality, then there had better be a "do not contact" tag.

I heard (I don't know if it's true; I'm no expert and haven't looked into it) that sometimes when players already know where they're going, they'll enter the portal but with a "do not contact" tag. I don't know if entering the portal is just a formality for them or if it somehow helps with the paperwork, etc.

It could be that, since Tyrin DID transfer and join the Aggies, that he technically has to enter the portal to come back to UTEP. (He DID leave.) If that's the case, does he have a "do not contact" tag?

I expressed previously that if I were Dimel, I would take him back. But I would NOT take him back if he wants to test the portal again first. You've got a nice, warm spot in the starting rotation if you will come straight back to UTEP, do not pass Go, don't collect $200 (maybe the boosters can come up with a respectable NIL deal instead). If you have to enter the portal as a formality, then there had better be a "do not contact" tag.
Agree 100%. If he HAS to pass thru the portal I’d understand but anything less and he can be a 3rd receiver elsewhere

You would have a team full of not very good players. There are very few division one players that are humble. Almost all of them believe it they are the best thing since sliced bread. You can't be humble and actually succeed in the violent support like this very often.
We already have a team full of not very good players. As long as Hardison is throwing the passes, a player like Tyrin won’t be a difference maker.

This is a fringe bowl team with or without him.

You would have a team full of not very good players. There are very few division one players that are humble. Almost all of them believe it they are the best thing since sliced bread. You can't be humble and actually succeed in the violent support like this very often.
Hey Taco, any update on him? Is he coming back to UTEP, or exploring alternative options? Thanks

I’m fine with that as long as they want to be here and aren’t keeping us in the back burner in case nothing else comes along. When did we lose our self respect?

I’m fine with that as long as they want to be here and aren’t keeping us in the back burner in case nothing else comes along. When did we lose our self respect?
There is no one on the team that would be at UTEP if say San Diego State came calling. It's a business and ever single player and coach for that matter would follow the money.

I think we as fans need to come to terms with the fact that the amenities that UTEP offers are pretty much at the very bottom of division 1 football. We don't even have a real meal plan for our players. If they're not in first thing in the morning they'll most likely get nothing for breakfast. Hell, the last week of spring ball they didn't even have protein shakes for the players.

• Angry
Reactions: Lil_Train
There is no one on the team that would be at UTEP if say San Diego State came calling. It's a business and ever single player and coach for that matter would follow the money.

I think we as fans need to come to terms with the fact that the amenities that UTEP offers are pretty much at the very bottom of division 1 football. We don't even have a real meal plan for our players. If they're not in first thing in the morning they'll most likely get nothing for breakfast. Hell, the last week of spring ball they didn't even have protein shakes for the players.
Sure sounds like a complete failure from the administration, Senter and Wilson... It's mind-boggling that the likes of La-Tech and such. Can run, a much better program, with similar or some cases, less funds...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT