ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrin Smith isn't leaving

"The UTEP men's basketball team has been the most aggressive when it comes to NIL, and various student athletes have already been featured in local commercials. The Miner Collective was formed by Miguel Fernández and Josh Hunt as a non-profit to help raise money for NIL deals involving men's basketball players. However, that type of initiative needs to spread into football so that UTEP has a chance to keep players like Smith after a big season. At the same time, it would help secure other available student athletes who are in the transfer portal."

Tyrin Smith Departure is an NIL Wake Up Call for UTEP Football

Did Fernandez and Hunt help in the endeavor? Just throwing that out there.

I should probably say he's for sure not going to A&M. Whether he decides to come back to UTEP is still up in the air.
You said he was leaving now you not sure??

You should lose points for posting false Information. That's if rivals gave out points. Maybe they should??

listed ad an A&M signee

Tyrin Smith, 3-star WR, UTEP

11585452.jpg
(Photo: UTEP Athletics)
Just ahead of the spring semester, Texas A&M made one more addition to the roster in UTEP transfer Tyrin Smith. The UTEP speedster spent the last two seasons at UTEP before entering the portal after Christmas. Cincinnati and several others were involved with him, but he picked the Aggies fresh off a visit to College Station.

Smith was a huge part of the Miner offense this past season. From his slot position, he caught 71 passes for 1,039 yards and seven touchdowns. His best game came at New Mexico with eight receptions for 183 yards. He also passed the century mark against North Texas and Charlotte as well. In Smith's first season at UTEP in 2021, he tallied 33 catches for 570 yards and four scores.

Of note, Texas A&M has also added a pair of preferred walk-ons in linebacker Aidan Siano and running back Preston Landis, who both moved in during the spring as well.

He's enrolled in classes at UTEP and attended them this week. Looks like he'll be playing for us this season. I'm not sure it's appropriate for me to say why A&M fell through.
Man I don't know. What will his coaches and teammates think of him now? Just let the guy go...

He's enrolled in classes at UTEP and attended them this week. Looks like he'll be playing for us this season. I'm not sure it's appropriate for me to say why A&M fell through.
Maybe he's got an evil twin whose sole purpose is to keep the hopes up of fools like us.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Uh, oh! Do we have ourselves another M.J. McFarland type situation?

I’m not implying illicit substance use at all as with the McFarland situation. I am questioning if it will be weeks or months until released?

Last edited:
Just because he is enrolled in classes doesn't mean he isnt leaving. Didn't Boum and Kennedy graduate before transferring?

Just because he is enrolled in classes doesn't mean he isnt leaving. Didn't Boum and Kennedy graduate before transferring?
Except he is not enrolled at UTEP. He is enrolled at A&M and living in College Station. Unless something happened after he already started classes and was accepted into the university, then I do not see how he would be at UTEP.

Reactions: MinerFan79
The UTEP athletic employee seemed to disappear from KYYOTE’s DEN after he posted about McFarland months before Kugler announced it publicly. The past is the past but maybe a Den regular can explain what happened back then….or just leave it alone?

Either way, don’t jeopardize the player, his family, the team and coaches nor don’t jeopardize your position at the school. It’s not worth it.

UTEP athletics knows the walls are paper thin along that part of Mesa & Cincy. So as stated, let’s see what plays out.

Maybe this has something to do with it?

Yeah, but Ainias was already expected to come back to A&M for the last month or so. Tyrin Smith probably knew about it or had a sense. I honestly have no clue, but I am assuming that if he is enrolled in school at A&M that it would be difficult to come back to UTEP. Also, why would UTEP take him back at this point? What is that saying to the other guys on the roster.

Yeah, but Ainias was already expected to come back to A&M for the last month or so. Tyrin Smith probably knew about it or had a sense. I honestly have no clue, but I am assuming that if he is enrolled in school at A&M that it would be difficult to come back to UTEP. Also, why would UTEP take him back at this point? What is that saying to the other guys on the roster.

Because he's a good receiver and everyone in that locker room fully understands where they are and what the portal offers? Anyone in that locker room would take advantage of the portal if they could. This is UTEP after all.

You guys do realize you can be enrolled at more than one school at the same time? You can also take classes from different schools at the same time? They have online classes now.

You cannot work at Subway M-F 8-5 and be on Casa Kias lot selling cars during those hours. It would be impossible. Attending two schools in 2023, is possible.

Because he's a good receiver and everyone in that locker room fully understands where they are and what the portal offers? Anyone in that locker room would take advantage of the portal if they could. This is UTEP after all.
I mean, that would be great if he was back! UTEP needs him more than A&M does.

Reactions: Rot and TxRdKiller
You guys do realize you can be enrolled at more than one school at the same time? You can also take classes from different schools at the same time? They have online classes now.

You cannot work at Subway M-F 8-5 and be on Casa Kias lot selling cars during those hours. It would be impossible. Attending two schools in 2023, is possible.
Yeah I am sure everyone knows this or has done that at some point in their educational life. Except for in this case, he is literally not currently a student at UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT