ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrin Smith isn't leaving

Sure sounds like a complete failure from the administration, Senter and Wilson... It's mind-boggling that the likes of La-Tech and such. Can run, a much better program, with similar or some cases, less funds...
Nutrition should be a top line item expense for every sport if you want to win. For some reason it's not at UTEP. UTEP expects the players to feed themselves with the stipend almost exclusively. If you're a little guy that probably works. Anyone that's 270 and above it's not going to work! Then you have to imagine the food intake is going to be mostly junk since that's the cheap stuff.

I hope there’s still a few smart players out there that would rather be a starter here than buried in the bench at SDSU.
Smart is a personal choice. Everyone has different needs. For some people it makes more sense for them to get a better education and be a backup at SDSU. Especially when you throw in the amenities.

No one is leaving to SDSU though, that was just the first school that came to mind.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Nutrition should be a top line item expense for every sport if you want to win. For some reason it's not at UTEP. UTEP expects the players to feed themselves with the stipend almost exclusively. If you're a little guy that probably works. Anyone that's 270 and above it's not going to work! Then you have to imagine the food intake is going to be mostly junk since that's the cheap stuff.

I remember Dimel talking about this a couple years ago. Saying that it’s hard when schools are doing 3 meals per day 7 days per week cooked by Chefs.

He mentioned that he’s been able to do 1 meal 5 days a week. Not sure if that is still happening. He threw out a dollar amount that it was costing the program to fund that meal and I don’t remember the amount, but remembered it was a mind boggling amount.

Last edited:
I remember Dimel taking about this a couple years ago. Saying that it’s hard when schools are doing 3 meals per day 7 days per week cooked by Chefs.

He mentioned that he’s been able to do I meal 5 days a week. Not sure if that is still happening. He threw out a dollar amount that it was costing the program to fund that meal and I don’t remember the amount, but remembered it was a mind boggling amount.
They are not! Breakfast if you're there early enough they do five days a week. Lunch is 3 days a week and then they have some dinner sponsorships with local businesses 4 days out of the week. Every meal the players get from the facility usually isn't enough to feed everybody. The cost to feed a football team is pretty outrageous, but don't be in the business of football if you can't supply the basic things.

They are not! Breakfast if you're there early enough they do five days a week. Lunch is 3 days a week and then they have some dinner sponsorships with local businesses 4 days out of the week. Every meal the players get from the facility usually isn't enough to feed everybody. The cost to feed a football team is pretty outrageous, but don't be in the business of football if you can't supply the basic things.
What about training table?

Since you have the “inside scoop” Taco, how does this compare to NMSU or Texas St? UL-Monroe?
I don't know about Texas St or UL, but my son used to coach a young man currently on NMSU's roster. They get breakfast and lunch 5 days a week. But they also have a snack area with drinks, fruit, protein bars and various other things that they can always grab from anytime the facility is open. They also, have a meal plan through the school that allows them to eat at various spots on campus. I want to say it's something like 75 meals a semester. My nextdoor neighbor is Phoenix plays for Fresno State. He's an offensive lineman that's on a 6000 calorie diet. He gets all of that daily provided by the school. A friend of mine Francis is taking over the job at Charlotte University. He plans to completely revamp their nutrition program. What that will look like? I'm not sure, but previously it was fairly similar to what NMSU was offering. Those are the closest current day comparisons that I can make.

I don't know about Texas St or UL, but my son used to coach a young man currently on NMSU's roster. They get breakfast and lunch 5 days a week. But they also have a snack area with drinks, fruit, protein bars and various other things that they can always grab from anytime the facility is open. They also, have a meal plan through the school that allows them to eat at various spots on campus. I want to say it's something like 75 meals a semester. My nextdoor neighbor is Phoenix plays for Fresno State. He's an offensive lineman that's on a 6000 calorie diet. He gets all of that daily provided by the school. A friend of mine Francis is taking over the job at Charlotte University. He plans to completely revamp their nutrition program. What that will look like? I'm not sure, but previously it was fairly similar to what NMSU was offering. Those are the closest current day comparisons that I can make.
That is interesting: it’s easy to argue that games are won and lost in the gym and what these guys put into their bodies is important.

I remember when I was there there was a deal with Luby’s for meals. Also, Babe Laufenberg was instrumental in funding for a nutrition station

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT