ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv fires coach Sanchez

I was rooting for him for sure. A guy that went from being a wr coach at Irvin HS to become a Division 1 coach is pretty impressive.

Bob Davie is 35-63 in eight years and just 2-21 in MWC play the last 3 years. I am surprised he wasn't fired after last year.

Disagree about UNLV being a prime coaching job. Pro sports have stolen a lot of UNLV's once held glamour and although Vegas is a lucrative market it does have limits and competition for any sports venue is fierce. A losing football team in a non-BCS conference is not going to draw much support from the Vegas community.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Every so often I still meet random people who insist they have a groundbreaking new idea about UTEP hiring a local high school coach to lead the program

Gus Malzahn was a high school coach before becoming the OC at Arkansas. Seems to have been a solid hire, don’t you think? I wouldn’t hire a high school coach from El Paso, but maybe another one could do well here.

Dodge at NTU was another miss. I'm sure there are examples of HS coaches working their way up to HC at a major college program, but it seems that the learning curve is already steep for experienced coach at the college level and just way too big a jump for a HS coach. Assistants bounce around program to program gaining a lot of experience and more importantly connections a HS coach just doesn't get.

Dodge at NTU was another miss. I'm sure there are examples of HS coaches working their way up to HC at a major college program, but it seems that the learning curve is already steep for experienced coach at the college level and just way too big a jump for a HS coach. Assistants bounce around program to program gaining a lot of experience and more importantly connections a HS coach just doesn't get.

Chad Morris was just fired at Arkansas

Every so often I still meet random people who insist they have a groundbreaking new idea about UTEP hiring a local high school coach to lead the program

Im not one to bash El Paso/ans but anyone who claims we should hire a local HS coach is the prototypical El Paso dimwit. Flat out our football programs suck, blame the players blame whatever you want, but who here has done anything of substance? District titles don’t mean squat when you’re getting pounded by out of town teams.

Im not one to bash El Paso/ans but anyone who claims we should hire a local HS coach is the prototypical El Paso dimwit. Flat out our football programs suck, blame the players blame whatever you want, but who here has done anything of substance? No one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT