ADVERTISEMENT

UNM Game

I do not know anything about the Lobos. I do not scout teams, nor do I give a **** about them. I never said I knew much about them. I saw they struggled with McNeese St and I know that McNeese sucks.

It will be a test. The Lobos don’t suck, but I wouldn’t put them as any good though. At least not yet. Same goes for the Miners. To an outsider, they haven’t accomplished anything so far. NMSU is the best win either team has and all the wins have been at home. Hopefully the Miners win.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
And your point is? Dou you drink the 18 pack in 2 hours? I can go to a Locomotive or Chihuahuas game for $5. $18 is steep.

$18 is not steep and I am not going to compare it to a pack of beer. If they raised the prices to $18 and this team was crappy then it wouldn't make sense but they know this team is going to be good this year and people will pay to watch them.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
Wait, wait, wait...someone is complaining about a $18 ticket.

giphy.gif

$18 is not steep and I am not going to compare it to a pack of beer. If they raised the prices to $18 and this team was crappy then it wouldn't make sense but they know this team is going to be good this year and people will pay to watch them.

So if UTEP loses today the tickets should be lowered? I just think this is the year to get fans in and to gain new fans. If the team does well this year then you raise prices next year.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I’m going to have to agree with the tag team on this one. Senter doesn’t know the El Paso market. He can’t change what already works here to draw attendance. I understand what he wants to do but he can’t charge big boy prices before accomplishing anything on the court. It’s not the fans fault he hired a dud for football and no one wants to support the program.

I know to a lot of you high ballers $72 is pocket change. For the majority of families living within the median income, $72 is a lot. The proof is in the ticket sales.

So if UTEP loses today the tickets should be lowered? I just think this is the year to get fans in and to gain new fans. If the team does well this year then you raise prices next year.

Listen up, UTEP administration. "Autograph Boy" has spoken. You are not permitted to use economic studies, coaches salaries, scholarship costs, facility maintenance costs, the advice of Miss Cleo, nor anything else to set ticket prices. You must wait until you are provided the explicit consent of "Autograph Boy" before you raise ticket prices and even then only to the level determined to be appropriate by "Autograph Boy" based on his mastery of the science of pricing tickets to UTEP athletic events.

That is an amazing ticket price to see this caliber basketball. I haven't seen the prices advertised or I've had my head in the sand and I maintain a heavey internet presence. I will say that there is a very large contingent of El Pasoans who still rely on Radio and TV for news and information. UTEP should have a heavier presence on those mediums.

Also, a lot of UTEP fans need to be reprogrammed into fandome. This isn't 1989 or even 2009 anymore. A lot of old utep fans are no longer with us. We need to rebuild that basketball love and recent results haven't helped the situation but it's a new day, winning will help a LOT.

It is disheartening that we could only get about 5k to see Texas Tech, a national finalist last yeart and only about 6k right now to see an undefeated Lobo team. Lots of Lobo fans will be making the trek however and UTEP has large walk up crowds so I'm predicting 7K for tonight.

I know to a lot of you high ballers $72 is pocket change. For the majority of families living within the median income, $72 is a lot. The proof is in the ticket sales.

Exactly. There are some people who live in a bubble and have no clue how other people live.

It is disheartening that we could only get about 5k to see Texas Tech, a national finalist last yeart and only about 6k right now to see an undefeated Lobo team. Lots of Lobo fans will be making the trek however and UTEP has large walk up crowds so I'm predicting 7K for tonight.

An undefeated Lobo team? Who have they beat? How do you know “lots of Lobo fans” are coming? It’s a Tuesday night. I seriously doubt “lots” are coming down. I haven’t seen one post from a Lobo fan on here. Usually they want recommendations and general banter beforehand. Where are all the Lobo fans?

You all are too sensitive. Having a discussion about the attendance and reasons why it’s lacking is not trolling. To me personally it’s a very important subject. I’ve kept track of attendance since my first UTEP game. I enjoy discussing and listening to other’s opinions on the subject.

Simple Marketing of Supply and Demand. First created the demand then you can raise the prices. The Demand has been hinted, but has not been created fully. Season tickets can't go up after an 8 win season! If UTEP makes NCAA this year then Senter could've raised prices. This is premature in my mind. Also Lobos are an old rivalry not one young miner fans remember. If this was Arizona, Texas, Kansas etc... I'd understand.

I actually agree I think the ticket prices should be much lower to attract the fans to the product... once they get a glimpse of this years team I think you would earn some new fans which we desperately need

do we lose a lot by doing 10 dollar tickets when we fill up the don (which is an assumption) and add concessions on to that?

I’m going to have to agree with the tag team on this one. Senter doesn’t know the El Paso market. He can’t change what already works here to draw attendance. I understand what he wants to do but he can’t charge big boy prices before accomplishing anything on the court. It’s not the fans fault he hired a dud for football and no one wants to support the program.

It's basic economics if you want to have:
good coaches w/competitive salary
nice upgrades
nice giveaways/contests
more cash for marketing

the money has to come from somewhere, especially if there is no student athletic fee (and i'm going to regret bringing that up).

If you take a look at this years estimated budget (https://www.utsystem.edu/sites/defa...t-ut-el-paso/elp-fy-2020-operating-budget.pdf section H. 11) Budgeted expenses are 25,871,670 with an estimated income of 21,693,185 with leaves, an estimated surplus of 4,178,485.

I don't think we'll meet that at all, still believe that we're in the red like we were in the 15-16 FY https://college-sports.texastribune.org/colleges/university-of-texas-at-el-paso/

What I am really interested in is how many alumni do give to the program...betcha it's not a lot. Athletic programs do need the $$$ of alumni along with the big donors.

Also, how should he approach the "El Paso" market and sustain a strong revenue stream?

It's basic economics of if you want to have:
nice upgrades
nice giveaways/contests
more cash for marketing

the money has to come from somewhere, especially if there is no student athletic fee (and i'm going to regret bringing that up).

If you take a look at this years estimated budget (https://www.utsystem.edu/sites/defa...t-ut-el-paso/elp-fy-2020-operating-budget.pdf section H. 11) Budgeted expenses are 25,871,670 with an estimated income of 21,693,185 with leaves, an estimated surplus of 4,178,485.

I don't think we'll meet that at all, still believe that we're in the red like we were in the 15-16 FY https://college-sports.texastribune.org/colleges/university-of-texas-at-el-paso/

What I am really interested in is how many alumni do give to the program...betcha it's not a lot. Athletic programs do need the $$$ of alumni along with the big donors.

So your solution to everything is just to raise prices? That's not how economics works.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I do not know anything about the Lobos. I do not scout teams, nor do I give a **** about them. I never said I knew much about them. I saw they struggled with McNeese St and I know that McNeese sucks.

It will be a test. The Lobos don’t suck, but I wouldn’t put them as any good though. At least not yet. Same goes for the Miners. To an outsider, they haven’t accomplished anything so far. NMSU is the best win either team has and all the wins have been at home. Hopefully the Miners win.

Fair enough.

do we lose a lot by doing 10 dollar tickets when we fill up the don (which is an assumption) and add concessions on to that?

Remember, a share of the concessions does go to the groups working them (mostly high school cheer groups, etc)

As far as the $10 ticket sales-

10 home games this season (not incl the sun bowl tournament) at $10 with the don at capacity every night (11,892) is a revenue of 1,189,200. That does look like a steep drop off what even a 9,000 seat crowd brings in

Remember, a share of the concessions does go to the groups working them (mostly high school cheer groups, etc)

As far as the $10 ticket sales-

10 home games this season (not incl the sun bowl tournament) at $10 with the don at capacity every night (11,892) is a revenue of 1,189,200. That does look like a steep drop off what even a 9,000 seat crowd brings in

There's more than 10 home games. Not every ticket would be $10.

It's basic economics if you want to have:
nice upgrades
nice giveaways/contests
more cash for marketing

Also, how should he approach the "El Paso" market and sustain a strong revenue stream?
For one we can start by not overpaying the hc. Dimel is producing worse results than Kugler but getting paid 50% more.

Second recommendation I would make is to increase the price for gold and silver tickets. To a rich person there’s no difference between paying $34 or $36 or for that matter $45-$47 a ticket. To those struggling, $10 tickets instead of $18 could be the difference between going or not.

When the tag team first posted this thread I was in favor of ticket price increases. After seeing the current attendances it’s clearly not working. Unless $18 tickets and crowds of 8500 > $10 tickets and crowds of 11k.

When the tag team first posted this thread I was in favor of ticket price increases. After seeing the current attendances it’s clearly not working. Unless $18 tickets and crowds of 8500 > $10 tickets and crowds of 11k.

Not to mention you are also missing out on more concession sales by more people there. Those fringe fans could become regulars or even season ticket holders. They might even buy more expensive seats now and again!

$10 is fine for most games. Games like ENMU and East Central should be $5. It’s the fact that last year, cheap seats were $8 and now they’re $18 for NMSU and UNM. $18 or more for Duke is understandable, but 125% increase for NMSU and others is ridiculous.

If UTEP has 5 or more losses before CUSA play, you can forget about having a good crowd the rest of the year. UTEP needs to do something first, then raise prices later. Not first, especially with the crap home schedule this year. Like most years.

Not to mention you are also missing out on more concession sales by more people there. Those fringe fans could become regulars or even season ticket holders. They might even buy more expensive seats now and again!

$10 is fine for most games. Games like ENMU and East Central should be $5. It’s the fact that last year, cheap seats were $8 and now they’re $18 for NMSU and UNM. $18 or more for Duke is understandable, but 125% increase for NMSU and others is ridiculous.

If UTEP has 5 or more losses before CUSA play, you can forget about having a good crowd the rest of the year. UTEP needs to do something first, then raise prices later. Not first, especially with the crap home schedule this year. Like most years.
I agree with you. I think it’s better to have 10k- sellout and make the Don that more daunting than to try and make a few thousand extra dollars. Senter needs to do it organic and let the appetite for the market grow first.

For one we can start by not overpaying the hc. Dimel is producing worse results than Kugler but getting paid 50% more.

Second recommendation I would make is to increase the price for gold and silver tickets. To a rich person there’s no difference between paying $34 or $36 or for that matter $45-$47 a ticket. To those struggling, $10 tickets instead of $18 could be the difference between going or not.

Ok raise prices a bit for silver and gold seats, but also enforce seating. Market better and give promotions to students and cheap seats to fill in the upper/student sections. Add a GA section (as previously mentioned) on a 1st come 1st serve basis and reduce the student section.

Add a student athletic fee just like UTSA. Agree with you Minerfan_14 100%.

I renewed season tickets due to anticipation and wanting to 1) participate financially in the rebuild and the new regime, and 2) guarantee my spot when things get good.

Ok raise prices a bit for silver and gold seats, but also enforce seating. Market better and give promotions to students and cheap seats to fill in the upper/student sections. Add a GA section (as previously mentioned) on a 1st come 1st serve basis and reduce the student section.

Add a student athletic fee just like UTSA. Agree with you Minerfan_14 100%.

I renewed season tickets due to anticipation and wanting to 1) participate financially in the rebuild and the new regime, and 2) guarantee my spot when things get good.

Cue “our students can’t afford an athletics fee.”

Can’t and don’t want to are two different things. It would be interesting to see exactly how many students are from Juarez. You can’t bet that the majority of them would vote down any fee for athletics.

Besides, why should students get into more debt because UTEP hires and keeps bad coaches? Causing fan apathy and disinterest.

You lose me and pretty much the entire University at "reduce the student section."

Currently the University is doing all it can to bring students back to the games so this would be counterproductive

You lose me and pretty much the entire University at "reduce the student section."

Currently the University is doing all it can to bring students back to the games so this would be counterproductive

Until they fill up all of 1 section, taking a section away won’t hurt. When you’re not successful at something, you usually try new ideas or something different. Unless you’re UTEP. Then you just keep things the same.

Right....

University Fees per student, per semester Total fees collected by university
TXST $300 athletics fee $17,315,569
UTSA $240 athletics fee $12,032,206
UNT $165 athletics fee $10,724,272
UH $250 student services fee $7,260,060
UTEP $180 student services fee $5,935,317
TTU $57.20 athletics fee $3,237,896
TAMU $0 $0
UT $0 $0

Students get sections A-W for a total of 2356 seats. Take away sections x and w and they still have 1500 seats but now there’s 900 extra seats that can be sold.

Student athletics fee shouldn’t be optional — it’s a tax most colleges levy on all students.

Reactions: axingfools1
Yes and students tickets are free. Sell GA tickets for $5. If student section builds or there is an athletic fee implemented, then give the sections back.
They ought to create a message board fan council. We can solve all the issues. ;)

Under this scenario the $5 GA seats would be better view and price than the $10 copper seats.

Last edited:
Right....

University Fees per student, per semester Total fees collected by university
TXST $300 athletics fee $17,315,569
UTSA $240 athletics fee $12,032,206
UNT $165 athletics fee $10,724,272
UH $250 student services fee $7,260,060
UTEP $180 student services fee $5,935,317
TTU $57.20 athletics fee $3,237,896
TAMU $0 $0
UT $0 $0

How are those fees working out for UTSA and Texas St?

They ought to create a message board fan council. We can solve all the issues. ;)

Under this scenario the $5 GA seats would be better view and price than the $10 copper seats.

Yes, but you would have the uncertainty of where you would sit. GA people would have to get there earlier, at least the smart ones would. In turn, they would probably spend more on concessions as well. Easily making up the $5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT