ADVERTISEMENT

UNM v NMSU postponed

I agree about the poor judgment, but whatever disciplinary action that Golding decides to take needs to be based on McKinney's participation in a fight, and not on the aftermath of that fight. He certainly played no role in the actions of the idiots who tried to ambush Peake, nor in Peake's poor decision making.
I mean, who really knows at this point?

I agree about the poor judgment, but whatever disciplinary action that Golding decides to take needs to be based on McKinney's participation in a fight, and not on the aftermath of that fight. He certainly played no role in the actions of the idiots who tried to ambush Peake, nor in Peake's poor decision making.
You are who your friends are. If you are willing to “fight” during a football game, and your friend is likely carrying a gun on his bus trips, you are that guy. Do you think Peake just bought a gun and this was his 1st time taking it on a team trip?

Whether or not he was directly involved in the shooting, isn’t of consequence. A person such as McKinney will likely get into further “trouble” and bring down the rest of his teammates.

That looks like McKinney in the white undershirt fighting and kicking the guy that’s down. Also read on Twitter he wasn’t at yesterdays game cuz of a death in the family so who knows

That looks like McKinney in the white undershirt fighting and kicking the guy that’s down. Also read on Twitter he wasn’t at yesterdays game cuz of a death in the family so who knows
So Golding refused to comment on his absence due to death in the family? You’re not that naive are you?

Reactions: Nugget 07
You are who your friends are. If you are willing to “fight” during a football game, and your friend is likely carrying a gun on his bus trips, you are that guy. Do you think Peake just bought a gun and this was his 1st time taking it on a team trip?

Whether or not he was directly involved in the shooting, isn’t of consequence. A person such as McKinney will likely get into further “trouble” and bring down the rest of his teammates.
Disagree. A lot of good people have friends and/or family members who make poor choices.

Hopefully it was a one game suspension

No he was not at the Texas game because of the death. Not sure why he wasn’t there yesterday. Hopefully he is back by next week. They need him desperately if Frazier is out for an extended period of time.
Maybe he’s Jewish and mourns the death of a loved one for a year.

Pretty well established M likes to fight.

Reactions: kickballpro
The ripples of this unfortunate event will taint coaches, players and programs and have long term effects. Sadly what looks like a fight at a game has ended in death, exposed poor decision making by coaches and players, resulted in cancelations and involved 3 programs (although UTEP is likely to be the least effected but this situation is evolving). Getting hard to stay involved in college athletics, with no loyalty and student athletes who fail to represent a university or honor the intent of college athletics and those who support it. So many young people struggle and sacrifice for the opportunity to get an education, I think those kids deserve more of my support than those who dishonor and piss off opportunities to play college sports. I have always loved college athletics but my interest is slowly waning and each event, each transfer, each story where I read a 18 year old getting handed big bucks for signing or spending 2 years in college with "0" credits, or deciding not to play because it isn't in his "interest"

The ripples of this unfortunate event will taint coaches, players and programs and have long term effects. Sadly what looks like a fight at a game has ended in death, exposed poor decision making by coaches and players, resulted in cancelations and involved 3 programs (although UTEP is likely to be the least effected but this situation is evolving). Getting hard to stay involved in college athletics, with no loyalty and student athletes who fail to represent a university or honor the intent of college athletics and those who support it. So many young people struggle and sacrifice for the opportunity to get an education, I think those kids deserve more of my support than those who dishonor and piss off opportunities to play college sports. I have always loved college athletics but my interest is slowly waning and each event, each transfer, each story where I read a 18 year old getting handed big bucks for signing or spending 2 years in college with "0" credits, or deciding not to play because it isn't in his "interest"
This is a new low when coaches engage in this kind of behavior.

This is a new low when coaches engage in this kind of behavior.
Yep. I changed my position. I can't see how Heiar survives this and Moccia and others have to be on the hot seat? What was "broken curfew and team violations" has now turned into a hot mess of alleged hiding of evidence and alleged obstruction? You don't hold on to the actual weapon, even in self defense. At the very least, a (serious) misdemeanor was committed or lesser felony at worst.

"30-22-5. Tampering with evidence.
A. Tampering with evidence consists of destroying, changing, hiding, placing or fabricating any physical evidence with intent to prevent the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of any person or to throw suspicion of the commission of a crime upon another.
B. Whoever commits tampering with evidence shall be punished as follows:
(1) if the highest crime for which tampering with evidence is committed is a capital or first degree felony or a second degree felony, the person committing tampering with evidence is guilty of a third degree felony;
(2) if the highest crime for which tampering with evidence is committed is a third degree felony or a fourth degree felony, the person committing tampering with evidence is guilty of a fourth degree felony;
(3) if the highest crime for which tampering with evidence is committed is a misdemeanor or a petty misdemeanor, the person committing tampering with evidence is guilty of a petty misdemeanor; and
(4) if the highest crime for which tampering with evidence is committed is indeterminate, the person committing tampering with evidence is guilty of a fourth degree felony."

"In wake of the shooting that occurred on New Mexico University’s campus last month, a detective pulled over the bus bringing home the New Mexico State men’s basketball team as it was discovered that evidence was onboard, according to a Monday report from KOAT, a TV station in Albuquerque......The state police reportedly found the gun used in the shooting with an assistant coach at a hotel as well as the tablet of Mike Peake, a junior forward for New Mexico State, on the team’s bus, and his cellphone in the possession of a school administrator. Peake was a part of the Nov. 19 shooting that left one person dead..."

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/06/mike-peake-new-mexico-state-unm-shooting-details-coaches

Here’s the question:

Will NMSU suspend any players/coaches involved in concealing evidence, or will they wait unless/until charges are filed?

If they wait like they did on suspending Peake, they’re a bunch of thug trash.

Here’s the question:

Will NMSU suspend any players/coaches involved in concealing evidence, or will they wait unless/until charges are filed?

If they wait like they did on suspending Peake, they’re a bunch of thug trash.
Moccia went from the A.D. with the "Golden Touch" (Keeping football alive, hiring of Kill and Heiar to a bowl invite 48 hour prior) to possible co-conspirator of a crime (under investigation) within 24 hours. The bus ride pull over was claimed by NMSU to be a "nothing-burger" basically. "They just had a few additional questions" and "let us go", to evidence tampering in a crime (speculation)? Get ahead of this NMSU. Fire, start over and rebuild; it can be done and absolution will come. But, if NMSU continues with the charade, like you appear to have been doing, the road is long and painful and you will be the scorn of college basketball for years.

Moccia already has one black mark on his rather well-built-until-now resume with the whole Covid mess that was granted by the governor. They came out fine but they got covid while in a private practice facility while NM citizens were told basically they can't even go buy a soda pop.

Now to NMSU brass and Santa Fe this has to be obvious: Moccia, who can make money, does not handle hot circumstance well (much less a hot weapon) and makes the school and state look bad.

"Coach Taylor explained that Issa (Muhammad), Marchelus (Avery), and Anthony (Roy) told coach Heiar where the firearm was at,” the officer wrote in the report, published by the Albuquerque Journal. “Coach Heiar then called coach Taylor and told him where the firearm was at and to go get it.”

The gun, according to the report, had been in a hotel room but it is unclear who had been staying in that room, according to the Albuquerque Journal’s report.
All three players told police that they wanted attorneys when they stopped the bus on its way back to Las Cruces, per the report."

-"Coach Heiar then called coach Taylor and told him where the firearm was at and to go get it.”"

One more time....

-"Coach Heiar then called coach Taylor and told him where the firearm was at and to go get it.”"

No coach. You call the police immediately. It's evidence. Your players put in a trunk and took off (possible foul 1). Your assistant tells you they have it. Your next call to the assistant "to go get it"?! (possible foul 2). Coach obviously told the bus driver to floor it back home while questioning and investigation is in early prelim stages, but not a crime unless specifically told that you are detained or not to leave. (possible foul 3). The gun turned in with a towel wrapped around it?! Nice. So much for possible finger prints or other forensics? (possible four 4). Coach Heiar is not forthcoming with the public and fans. There are no immediate suspensions. The team travels to Las Vegas, plays UTEP and played last night with a prior announcement a few hours earlier that Peake is suspended. (No foul but the "Why suddenly now?" questions come out).

News bomb drops.

NMSU sits the other players involved as the game unfolds as it is obvious AD Moccia is monitoring the news minute by minute. Tells the players to not look at phones at halftime and to follow his directions. "No comment. No Comment" during entire post game presser. (No foul but the college basketball world erupts on social media with scorn for alleged holding of weapon and NMSU stating the police chase down was not a big deal).

ABQ DA should subpoena the NMSU basketball team, coaches, and athletic department staff and force them to testify under oath in ABQ.

Damning details in the police report involving Coach Heiar, I also don’t see Heiar keeping his job as head coach when all the dust settles.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT