ADVERTISEMENT

UNM v NMSU postponed

Rumors on the UNM board say that a player was shot and killed, although nothing official that I've seen yet.

The player Mike Peake was shot in the leg during the altercation and is said to fully recover. Police are looking for two additional suspects that fled the scene.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
Someone was detained during the stop but the police let the bus go about an hour later. No reports if the person detained was still detained. Until the suspects who fled are found it will come down to the he said she said event. There is a chance that the residents halls, where the shooting occurred have cameras, but nothing has been released yet. Still this is a bad look for both schools but especially for NMSU since it was a player who killed a student. The gun was thought to belong to the UNM student but that is still questionable.

Someone was detained during the stop but the police let the bus go about an hour later. No reports if the person detained was still detained. Until the suspects who fled are found it will come down to the he said she said event. There is a chance that the residents halls, where the shooting occurred have cameras, but nothing has been released yet. Still this is a bad look for both schools but especially for NMSU since it was a player who killed a student. The gun was thought to belong to the UNM student but that is still questionable.
If this is indeed the case then it just may spell doom for the next few years for NMSU BB as it took Baylor a few years to recover.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
If this is indeed the case then it just may spell doom for the next few years for NMSU BB as it took Baylor a few years to recover.
If the gun belonged to the UNM student, it seems likely to be a case of self-defense. The Baylor situation was much worse, in any case, because of what the coach did.

If the gun belonged to the UNM student, it seems likely to be a case of self-defense. The Baylor situation was much worse, in any case, because of what the coach did.
So there are some facts right now I can provide and some speculation as to what happened.

We know that Mike Peake left the hotel around 2 a.m. He was with some lady around the UNM dorms when the incident occurred.

This is where the speculation begins:

This could have been a set up because of this incident: During the NMSU UNM game in Las Cruces there was an altercation between UNM fans and Aggie Basketball players including Mike Peake. The fight was pretty bad. It could have been an attempt for revenge.

He was catfished for a robbery.

In my opinion this one could be the most reasonable: Jealous boyfriend saw Peake with his girlfriend.

Now from what we know the UNM kid had the gun so these are all based on that. It will be completely different if Peake had the gun but the situation sill will be up in the air.

A player snuck out of the hotel to get some and this incident occurred. It is a tragic loss of life that we will get more details in the coming weeks. If it turns out that it was a self defense incident well UNM has hell to pay, if not well then NMSU is up a creek without a paddle and Coach Greg Heier needs to expunge the team. Welcome to the State of New Mexico Drama Saga.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
WTF is wrong with
So there are some facts right now I can provide and some speculation as to what happened.

We know that Mike Peake left the hotel around 2 a.m. He was with some lady around the UNM dorms when the incident occurred.

This could have been a set up because of this incident: During the NMSU UNM game in Las Cruces there was an altercation between UNM fans and Aggie Basketball players including Mike Peake. The fight was pretty bad. It could have been an attempt for revenge.

In my opinion this one could be the most reasonable: Jealous boyfriend saw Peake with his girlfriend.

Now from what we know the UNM kid had the gun so these are all based on that. It will be completely different if Peake had the gun but the situation sill will be up in the air.

A player snuck out of the hotel to get some and this incident occurred. It is a tragic loss of life that we will get more details in the coming weeks. If it turns out that it was a self defense incident well UNM has hell to pay, if not well then NMSU is up a creek without a paddle and Coach Greg Heier needs to expunge the team. Welcome to the State of New Mexico Drama Saga.
What’s your source?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
WTF is wrong with

What’s your source?
There is no merit to the speculation. It is only what has been passed around by fans an onlookers, although given that fight that is where some of the speculation comes from. I cant find the video right now but it exists out there.

The deceased was a 19 year old UNM student with no basketball team affiliation.

Keep us updated. Here’s the fight on Twitter an Las Cruces-Sun News reporter is asking about this so this is getting interesting

Do we know which one is peake? The dude who takes off his shirt is pretty tall and looks like a hooper IMO.
Terrible tragedy. The fans here were giving peake a pretty hard time last weekend during the game. Got in his head bad, he flipped off some of the fans in the first half then eventually got a tech at the end of the game.

Terrible tragedy. The fans here were giving peake a pretty hard time last weekend during the game. Got in his head bad, he flipped off some of the fans in the first half then eventually got a tech at the end of the game.
UTEP recruited Peake, and he took an official visit to the school. I heard some of the fans were giving him a hard time about choosing the Aggies over the Miners. Bad, bad situation up the road.

The game will most likely not be rescheduled. The game in Las Cruces will most likely be canceled as well.

Possible that the team won't play again till next year when WAC begins

The game will most likely not be rescheduled. The game in Las Cruces will most likely be canceled as well.

Possible that the team won't play again till next year when WAC begins
But that means we'll have to find another team to invite to the Sun Carnival (or whatever they call it now) Tournament.

• Sad
Reactions: Cube Jack
UTEP recruited Peake, and he took an official visit to the school. I heard some of the fans were giving him a hard time about choosing the Aggies over the Miners. Bad, bad situation up the road.
Dodged a bullet there (no pun intended).

Glad the guy lived, but he should get kicked off the team. Embarrassing for nmsu.

Freak accident. Again, I don’t know all the details but if what is being said is true, then the kid did nothing wrong, acted in self defense.
He tripped and fell out of the team hotel and accidentally rolled onto UNM campus. There he accidentally wound up pointing a handgun at someone and his finger accidentally pulled the trigger. From there he slipped and accidentally slid away from the scene of the shooting without calling police. He inexplicably wound up on the team bus. He must not have realized he'd been shot. The person he shot wound up dead. Hey, nothing to see here

Again, dk the the details. If what you say is true then he effed up. Should have called 911 after he acted in self defense.

He tripped and fell out of the team hotel and accidentally rolled onto UNM campus. There he accidentally wound up pointing a handgun at someone and his finger accidentally pulled the trigger. From there he slipped and accidentally slid away from the scene of the shooting without calling police. He inexplicably wound up on the team bus. He must not have realized he'd been shot. The person he shot wound up dead. Hey, nothing to see here
I don’t think he ended up on the bus. One of the witnesses says they saw him bleeding in pain and I’m going to assume the ambulance arrived and took him to the hospital. He probably acted in self defense.

Reactions: kickballpro
A UTEP fan letter to coach Coach Heiar,

Welcome to New Mexico. The chances of you surviving this are pretty slim. A UNM coach was fired for being an egomaniac and fighting with another coach, privately....in closed office settings. It was college coaches being college coaches. New Mexico does things differently. It's not a college thing, it's a New Mexico thing. Ever read "The Milagro Beanfield War"? If you haven't, you may want to. I have a funny feeling your team just added a new chapter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT