ADVERTISEMENT

UNM v NMSU postponed

So Peake gets into a fight at a football game with fans while a student at NMSU.
He takes a gun on a school trip (I can guarantee that's against school and athletic policy)
Sneaks out of the hotel to meet a girl while he was expected to be resting for one of their biggest games of the year, a rivalry game.
Kills a guy in a gun battle...

And some of you guys think he can stay on the team?

And btw, the state police didn't pull the bus over to wish them condolences. There may be at least 1 other guy who is gone from the team.
Don't forget he also had the firearm on campus which is a crime.

Broke team rules by bringing a firearm on the trip

Broke team rules by sneaking out

Broke the law by having a firearm on campus

Shot and Killed someone as a direct result of all three

Hey, all is forgiven! San Diego coming to town on Friday! Just don't do it again!

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Can’t have a gun on college campus or on any college event. He will be kicked out of school.
May not get charged for murder so to self defense, but will not be playing college ball this year. ( My opinion).

So Peake gets into a fight at a football game with fans while a student at NMSU.
He takes a gun on a school trip (I can guarantee that's against school and athletic policy)
Sneaks out of the hotel to meet a girl while he was expected to be resting for one of their biggest games of the year, a rivalry game.
Kills a guy in a gun battle...

And some of you guys think he can stay on the team?

And btw, the state police didn't pull the bus over to wish them condolences. There may be at least 1 other guy who is gone from the team.
That's a very simplified way of looking at it. He was struck first with a baseball bat and was actively retreating while the deceased was firing at him before he finally returned fire. A lot of stupid decisions to set this up for sure, but as the investigation stands right now he is the victim.

NMSU came out with a statement saying the bus wasn't pulled over, but that was an agreed upon meeting place for the State Police. While there were more players involved in the initial fight, as of right now I do not think anyone else would be in jeopardy of being removed from the team. Peake could be out regardless as a witness who helped him right after the shooting said he heard Peake saying that was a career ending injury.

I know we don't have all the facts but here are my thoughts:

Even if it was self defense, he will likely not be on the team anymore due to all the broken rules listed above by one of the previous posters.

I think NMSU, the actual university, might be facing some trouble for not doing anything about the original fight in the first place. There seems to be enough video to identify that some basketball players were involved in a fight. How did none of the players face consequences? Maybe they did. I don't follow them enough to know.

I also wonder how their team reacts. Friday seems a little soon to be playing considering everything that those guys are going through.

I know we don't have all the facts but here are my thoughts:

Even if it was self defense, he will likely not be on the team anymore due to all the broken rules listed above by one of the previous posters.

I think NMSU, the actual university, might be facing some trouble for not doing anything about the original fight in the first place. There seems to be enough video to identify that some basketball players were involved in a fight. How did none of the players face consequences? Maybe they did. I don't follow them enough to know.

I also wonder how their team reacts. Friday seems a little soon to be playing considering everything that those guys are going through.
This is what NMSU said in regards to the fight:

Was NMSU aware of any fights or video of fights during the NMSU/UNM football game earlier this year?

Yes. These were referred to the NMSU Dean of Students Office for further inquiry.

Was any disciplinary action taken against any students as a result of those fights?

There were multiple fights that day. In some of those instances, the students involved were unable to be positively identified. In other instances, federal privacy rules prevent the university from publicly providing additional details

This probably was just to save face but yeah major controversy happening right now to the point where they had to assure fans that Coach Heier was still head coach.

Reactions: picks up
This is what NMSU said in regards to the fight:

Was NMSU aware of any fights or video of fights during the NMSU/UNM football game earlier this year?

Yes. These were referred to the NMSU Dean of Students Office for further inquiry.

Was any disciplinary action taken against any students as a result of those fights?

There were multiple fights that day. In some of those instances, the students involved were unable to be positively identified. In other instances, federal privacy rules prevent the university from publicly providing additional details

This probably was just to save face but yeah major controversy happening right now to the point where they had to assure fans that Coach Heier was still head coach.
Appreciate the clarification

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
In this case it is best if NMSU waits to make their official decision until the investigation provides more details. The state police are doing a good job releasing information to the public to prevent the speculation from running wild. This has been a messy event over the last two days when it comes to figuring things out.

"Brandon Travis brandished gun; another assailant hit Peake w/a bat. Peake also had a firearm and shot at Travis while he was trying to run away; Travis shot back."

How am I the only one reading this differently? PEAKE SHOT FIRST while Travis was running away.

Travis pulls a gun, HOWEVER, some other dude hits you with a bat. Travis starts running away and you pull out a gun and shoot HIM? Not the dude that hit you?

Doesn't sound so cut and dry to me for self defense. Seems like he was assaulted. Sounds like the assailants were leaving, therefore even the thought of shooting shouldn't have been considered.

Add in everything else he did wrong and this dude is done. I betcha he gets arrested.

Reactions: homeskillet75
"Brandon Travis brandished gun; another assailant hit Peake w/a bat. Peake also had a firearm and shot at Travis while he was trying to run away; Travis shot back."

How am I the only one reading this differently? PEAKE SHOT FIRST while Travis was running away.

Travis pulls a gun, HOWEVER, some other dude hits you with a bat. Travis starts running away and you pull out a gun and shoot HIM? Not the dude that hit you?

Doesn't sound so cut and dry to me for self defense. Seems like he was assaulted. Sounds like the assailants were leaving, therefore even the thought of shooting shouldn't have been considered.

Add in everything else he did wrong and this dude is done. I betcha he gets arrested.
Whatever report you are reading is wrong. Peake was shot at first and then turned around and shot back. Either way he was in fear for his life and was within his rights as an American to defend himself.

Whatever report you are reading is wrong. Peake was shot at first and then turned around and shot back. Either way he was in fear for his life and was within his rights as an American to defend himself.
You are correct. I read Colin's tweet, which was later corrected. I didn't bother to check for updates. Colin tends to me more focused on being first than being right. I should have known better.

Still, all the other stuff should warrant his permanent dismissal.. NMSU should be concerned with EVERYTHING that led up to this...

Rights for self defense, ok.

But Peake may beat the wrap but he is done at NMSU and a Thanksgiving turkey is showing more empathy to Heiar at this point. After days have gone by I can't imagine how Moccia can't be more pissed at what transpired. Just reading the NMSU/NM policies leads to more questions? https://arp.nmsu.edu/16-06/ and https://law.justia.com/codes/new-mexico/2011/chapter30/article7/section30-7-2.4

Has Peake been carrying a gun his entire time while on the team? On campus? In his dorm? Obviously in some cases. That's on Heiar.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
He'll still get charged with illegally possessing a firearm on a college campus in New Mexico

The violation of the student conduct code by taking the firearm on a team bus on a university funded trip is enough to get him expelled. Students have been expelled for cheating on tests. You think this will be forgotten?

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
He'll still get charged with illegally possessing a firearm on a college campus in New Mexico

The violation of the student conduct code by taking the firearm on a team bus on a university funded trip is enough to get him expelled. Students have been expelled for cheating on tests. You think this will be forgotten?
And yet, if he hadn't possessed a firearm, he'd probably be dead.

It seems that college campuses in New Mexico aren't safe places to be.

Reactions: Nugget 07

This is the Football game Fight. Peake is grey shorts guy with logo on his white shirt back, the guy who gets killed is black shirt blue shorts.

Several NMSU basketball players involved in this fight. No security around. No players were disciplined

You are correct. I read Colin's tweet, which was later corrected. I didn't bother to check for updates. Colin tends to me more focused on being first than being right. I should have known better.

Still, all the other stuff should warrant his permanent dismissal.. NMSU should be concerned with EVERYTHING that led up to this...
Not trying to get off topic but I don't ever trust Deaver. Deaver is about Deaver more than Deaver is about the news in my opinion.

This is the Football game Fight. Peake is grey shorts guy with logo on his white shirt back, the guy who gets killed is black shirt blue shorts.

Several NMSU basketball players involved in this fight. No security around. No players were disciplined
Not sure if that one guy is a cop or a security guard. Either way he was just one guy and had no chance

I mentioned earlier how this might come back to UTEP and I really hope there isn't any bad press that comes of this. Mario McKinney was good buddies with Aggie players involved in the fight and might have fought himself. Lets not make this into a multi university affair.
He’s not with the team right now. Damn too bad he could have been the X factor

• Angry
Reactions: Lil_Train

So is Peake the one who kicked the now deceased guy in the head?

I mentioned earlier how this might come back to UTEP and I really hope there isn't any bad press that comes of this. Mario McKinney was good buddies with Aggie players involved in the fight and might have fought himself. Lets not make this into a multi university affair.
If he proves to be a thug, and I’m coach, I cut him loose.

So is Peake the one who kicked the now deceased guy in the head?
No Peake was the dude in the white shirt with the red flower looking graphic who went after the person in the upper left of the video after the guy in the center went down.

If he proves to be a thug, and I’m coach, I cut him loose.
In this case I'd wait to see if any information pops up about the fight. He was still good buddies with his former teammates and might have backed them up for a fight instigated by UNM fans. This is definitely my bias but I do not think scholarship starters for a basketball team would go looking for a fight at a rivalry football game on their home field. Granted starting the fight and throwing the first punch are two separate things. Hold off on any judgement on Rio for the time being.

In this case I'd wait to see if any information pops up about the fight. He was still good buddies with his former teammates and might have backed them up for a fight instigated by UNM fans. This is definitely my bias but I do not think scholarship starters for a basketball team would go looking for a fight at a rivalry football game on their home field. Granted starting the fight and throwing the first punch are two separate things. Hold off on any judgement on Rio for the time being.
Agree, either way they should give him a slap on the wrist and tell him he needs to represent himself and utep better. They need him if they’re going to be any good this season. Sucks that nmsu is falling apart and they take a Utep player down with them!

He missed the first game due the death of a loved one. So it was a completely reasonable excuse the first time.
Oh right, thanks for the reminder. I believe I saw that earlier but wasn't putting 2 and 2 together with all the extra stuff going around. I wanted to inquire if this miss was related to the NMSU incident or not.

The guy got his ass beat in LC then killed in Abq when he tried to get revenge?

Oh right, thanks for the reminder. I believe I saw that earlier but wasn't putting 2 and 2 together with all the extra stuff going around. I wanted to inquire if this miss was related to the NMSU incident or not.
Yes I’m sure it was related to that. Hopefully he’s back next week because it would be a shame if he got kicked off the team for helping out his friends in a brawl. Shows he’s a loyal guy. Who knows who those unm guys were.

Yes I’m sure it was related to that. Hopefully he’s back next week because it would be a shame if he got kicked off the team for helping out his friends in a brawl. Shows he’s a loyal guy. Who knows who those unm guys were.
Uh, I’m going to wait and see what comes out before declaring him a great guy.

Uh, I’m going to wait and see what comes out before declaring him a great guy.
Didn’t he get suspended indefinitely from Mizzou? Does anybody know why? And didn’t he get arrested at NMSU for a misdemeanor assault charge? I’m all about giving a kid a second chance but just seems to me that this continues to show some poor judgement on his part, at the minimum.

Didn’t he get suspended indefinitely from Mizzou? Does anybody know why? And didn’t he get arrested at NMSU for a misdemeanor assault charge? I’m all about giving a kid a second chance but just seems to me that this continues to show some poor judgement on his part, at the minimum.
I agree about the poor judgment, but whatever disciplinary action that Golding decides to take needs to be based on McKinney's participation in a fight, and not on the aftermath of that fight. He certainly played no role in the actions of the idiots who tried to ambush Peake, nor in Peake's poor decision making.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT