ADVERTISEMENT

UNM v NMSU postponed

A UTEP fan letter to coach Coach Heiar,

Welcome to New Mexico. The chances of you surviving this are pretty slim. A UNM coach was fired for being an egomaniac and fighting with another coach, privately....in closed office settings. It was college coaches being college coaches. New Mexico does things differently. It's not a college thing, it's a New Mexico thing. Ever read "The Milagro Beanfield War"? If you haven't, you may want to. I have a funny feeling your team just added a new chapter.
Yup, things seem to be out of control up in las cruces

It did. No arguing that. But college athletes aren’t supposed to be strapped on team road trips. It will be interesting to see what the Aggies do.
Yeah he shouldn’t have been out. He might have known his life was in danger in abq so that’s why he brought the gun. But it could have been avoided if he stayed in the hotel. Poor guy, bad decision.

Coach Heiar can't be happy that one of his star recruits was out at 2 am the morning before a rivalry game.
He was probably catfished by the girl and that's how this entire fiasco happened, but yes I agree. There will have to be some disciplinary action taken against Peake for breaking curfew. This will look bad for both universities but I think UNM will come out worse since it fans have conspired to assault opposing players. That is not a good look.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
He was probably catfished by the girl and that's how this entire fiasco happened, but yes I agree. There will have to be some disciplinary action taken against Peake for breaking curfew. This will look bad for both universities but I think UNM will come out worse since it fans have conspired to assault opposing players. That is not a good look.
Maybe the Mountain West will kick out UNM and invite UTEP.

This is a litmus test for Coach Heiar. Is he so desperate to have a winning team that he'll try to sweep it under the rug? The smartest thing he can do is dismiss Peake from the team for the gross lack of judgement.
Also, what is NMSU's president going to do? He's the one ultimately in control.

Hopefully he is a licensed gun owner. That will help his case in court. His time at NMSWHO is over, but he’s young and can turn his life around.

If this incident occurred because of the fight that happened at the Aggies Lobos football game it could be a bit more wide reaching. Mario McKinney was at that game and one of the posters on the Aggie forums said that he saw McKinney take part in that fight. I don't know if that will have any impact on him at all but who knows.

If this incident occurred because of the fight that happened at the Aggies Lobos football game it could be a bit more wide reaching. Mario McKinney was at that game and one of the posters on the Aggie forums said that he saw McKinney take part in that fight. I don't know if that will have any impact on him at all but who knows.
Thanks for the info. This is gonna be a nail biter for the next several weeks.

Coach Heiar can't be happy that one of his star recruits was out at 2 am the morning before a rivalry game.
With a gun, and allegedly involved in a bad brawl hours earlier and with a 17 year old female and not exactly sharing the history of the Spaniards in the Rio Grande Valley.

Santa Fe will have something to say about this. I don’t see Heiar surviving this. If the brawl didn’t happen, maybe? But given the timeline I personally ask “what was he thinking, especially after the bad fight?”

Last edited:
Yea there is a lot more information that we don’t know and I’m sure Peake is not just a victim. He prob was involved in some stupid crap we don’t know about yet. By the way NM is a shady state anyway. Have you ever driving by Española? Looks like your in a 3rd world country. Lots of Heroin.

With a gun, and allegedly involved in a bad brawl hours earlier and with a 17 year old female and not exactly sharing the history of the Spaniards in the Rio Grande Valley.

Santa Fe will have something to say about this. I don’t see Heiar surviving this. If the brawl didn’t happen, maybe? But given the timeline I personally ask “what was he thinking, especially after the bad fight?”

Serious question because I'm old, didn't go to college (at least not on a "real" campus), and am out-of-touch with college parties but is it common to be strapped at a party? Are there no college parties where guns are not present?

From Colin Deaver Twitter:

BREAKING: Another arrest has been made in this case. Jonathan Smith, 1 of the 2 male accomplices has been charged with Aggravated Battery, Conspiracy and 2 counts of tampering with evidence per an arrest affidavit obtained by KTSM.

Colin Deaver
@ColinDeaverTV
·
15m
Per arrest affidavit, New Mexico State basketball player Mike Peake took an Uber to UNM campus to meet up with the 17-year-old female, where 3 men planned on assaulting him as retribution for a fight at the UNM-NMSU football game in Las Cruces last month.
Colin Deaver
@ColinDeaverTV
·
4m
Per arrest affidavit, 17-year-old went outside of Coronado Hall complex to get Mike Peake; 3 men then confronted him. Brandon Travis brandished gun; another assailant hit Peake w/a bat. Peake also had a firearm and shot at Travis while he was trying to run away; Travis shot back.

From Colin Deaver Twitter:

BREAKING: Another arrest has been made in this case. Jonathan Smith, 1 of the 2 male accomplices has been charged with Aggravated Battery, Conspiracy and 2 counts of tampering with evidence per an arrest affidavit obtained by KTSM.

Colin Deaver
@ColinDeaverTV
·
15m
Per arrest affidavit, New Mexico State basketball player Mike Peake took an Uber to UNM campus to meet up with the 17-year-old female, where 3 men planned on assaulting him as retribution for a fight at the UNM-NMSU football game in Las Cruces last month.
Colin Deaver
@ColinDeaverTV
·
4m
Per arrest affidavit, 17-year-old went outside of Coronado Hall complex to get Mike Peake; 3 men then confronted him. Brandon Travis brandished gun; another assailant hit Peake w/a bat. Peake also had a firearm and shot at Travis while he was trying to run away; Travis shot back.
Good for Peake defending himself and making it out alive. Actually, they shot him first and hit him with a bat. Thankfully his 3 ball was not as accurate as his trigger finger last week! Poor guy, terrible tragedy all around. He should have let his coach know that there was trouble for him going to ABQ.

Good for Peake defending himself and making it out alive. Actually, they shot him first and hit him with a bat. Thankfully his 3 ball was not as accurate as his trigger finger last week! Poor guy, terrible tragedy all around. He should have let his coach know that there was trouble for him going to ABQ.
I agree that good for him with self defense however, he wouldn’t have had any trouble going to Abq if he didn’t ever leave his hotel room for a booty call.

I agree that good for him with self defense however, he wouldn’t have had any trouble going to Abq if he didn’t ever leave his hotel room for a booty call.
From what some Aggie insiders were saying is that the coaches stopped watching the dorms around 2 a.m. and that's when Peake snuck out. I think with how the planning has been reported to have happened that this might have occurred anyways, but if not before the game probably after. That's just my speculation though.

Were there no loose women in Las Cruces available on short notice?

And then the booty call is a 17 year old girl…smh. I would love to be the fly on the wall in the NMSU basketball offices today!

So Peake gets into a fight at a football game with fans while a student at NMSU.
He takes a gun on a school trip (I can guarantee that's against school and athletic policy)
Sneaks out of the hotel to meet a girl while he was expected to be resting for one of their biggest games of the year, a rivalry game.
Kills a guy in a gun battle...

And some of you guys think he can stay on the team?

And btw, the state police didn't pull the bus over to wish them condolences. There may be at least 1 other guy who is gone from the team.

Time to get a good lawyer

This looks worse by the day for the program
God, I've been waiting for someone to open that door to put this.
BCS_Gen_LandingPage_2x3_v2.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT