ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Mock Draft

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
has Vince getting drafted this summer #50 to Hawks

Good for him. I hope he goes from all the hate he gets from some UTEP fans. He deserves better.

link

Good grief! Yeah, VH receives SO much hate. He gets more of a pass than any Miner in recent memory. So...Criticism = Hate? Since when?

Let me throw something out there that's just as ludicrous of a statement. Anyone who wants VH to leave UTEP couldn't possibly be a "true" Miner fan.
This post was edited on 3/30 4:34 PM by tbleslie

We all want Vince to do well after UTEP. What hate are you talking about? It is a fact his game needs improvement and another year in college would do him well. If he is bright he will return for his junior season, develop his game, and then bounce.

This post was edited on 3/30 10:12 PM by Nugget 07

You are full of it Fili !!!. There is no hate; only pride to have him as a Miner. People may hope that he elects to wait until he's ready before he declares, but that's because it's best for him and UTEP. Where in the hell do you get hate?

Originally posted by FiliUTEP:
has Vince getting drafted this summer #50 to Hawks

Good for him. I hope he goes from all the hate he gets from some UTEP fans. He deserves better.
Leaving to hopefully be the 50th pick would not be all that wise. Money is only guaranteed if you go in the first round. If his advisors care about him, they would encourage him to play another year and build his stock. Unless they feel this is as high as his stock will go....

This post was edited on 3/30 5:29 PM by Lucaminer

would you consider what Jeff Darby said as Hate?

what he said is what most fans have said on this board.

Well the associate AD displayed some hate on twitter , the night UTEP got owned by Murray St. I'm fine with the criticism he gets (Hunter) most of it valid , IMO . Also lets try to spread the criticism around ie coaches.

He is not going to get by on driving to the basket and being quicker than the guy he is facing..they are all fast. He needs to work on his mid-range and deep ball. One more year and he could go in the first round.

Gili what Darby said wasn't Hate are you serious?! It was simply inappropriate, due to his position and the format he used to express it. Vince Hunter does need more of an outside shot, do you disagree? 95% of Miner Fans want him to stay, so what in the Hell are you even talking about, Ridiculous Post and completely Ludacris. Glad he's in the Mock though!

To the people that say Vince Hunter doesn't have a jump shot. Have you seen him in practice? How do you know he doesn't have a jumper? In Utep he is not asked to be a jump shooter. He is asked to drive the hoop , draw fouls and get rebounds. Whenever Vince gets to the NBA he is not be making his money for being a jump shooter. Unless you seen him in practice you cant really know if he has jump shot.

But lets say he does needs a jump shot. The Jump shot is a lost skill in the NBA. Rajon Rondo has had a good career without having a jump shot. It even took Lebron James a while to get a mid range game.

Again I ask, what hate from Miner fans? Let me guess, when u were a kid and your teachers, told you, you could do better, you told your mom they Hated You!

I have never seen hate anywhere on here from anybody (except for the very select few who think it's funny to spread homophobia on here). Luckily those select few either got banned or stopped posting altogether. Criticism is not hate. When somebody tells me that I am doing something wrong, I listen and learn. It's totally different if Floyd made it to the Big Dance on a consistent basis and people were still saying the same things.

Considering that the defensive game plan against him since at least February was to have three people in the lane waiting for him to drive and to let him shoot midrange shots, and given the fact that he didn't shoot any midrange shots, I think you can pretty easily deduce that he doesn't have a midrange shot. I think he took one honest 15 foot jump shot (square up and shoot) all season against Rice I think and it didn't turn out well.

ooohhhh the homophobia thing again... Which people are you referencing in regards to stallworth, epchihuahua?

Originally posted by FiliUTEP:

would you consider what Jeff Darby said as Hate?

what he said is what most fans have said on this board.
Of course not. A million times, of course not. What Jeff Darby said was in appropriate (due to avenue) but was not hateful. I love Vince Hunter and hopes he stays four years. Yet from day one I have been complaining that he cries too much about the refs calls. He also, obviously, needs an outside shot. What is hateful about that?

If Vince leaves for whatever avenue of basketball he wishes to pursue, anything said on this board will have meant zilch in his decision. Same with Darby's tweet. Now, he may harbor some resentment over the tweet, but there was already talk about his game and his intentions well before that event.

Originally posted by allminer:

If Vince leaves for whatever avenue of basketball he wishes to pursue, anything said on this board will have meant zilch in his decision. Same with Darby's tweet. Now, he may harbor some resentment over the tweet, but there was already talk about his game and his intentions well before that event.
Exactly. I always laugh on here when some people think that recruits will base part of their decision based on what is written on a message board.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

Exactly. I always laugh on here when some people think that recruits will base part of their decision based on what is written on a message board.
Or that a coach will...which is perhaps even more laughable.

Originally posted by tbleslie:
Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

Or that a coach will...which is perhaps even more laughable.
lol Exactly. I would be surprised if Floyd even reads message board or Twitter comments.

Once there was a language known as English, one where words had actual meanings. In this language, the word "hate" meant a complete loathing, a very strong dislike for someone or something. It certainly did not mean "to critique". Unfortunately this language has changed, and not for the better.

A case in point: I really like Mike Price. I believe him to be a very nice person and a gentlemen, and desperately wanted him to succeed as the coach of the UTEP Football Team. However, sometime during the course of what would eventually become seven straight losing seasons, it became apparent to me that Price was not going to be able to turn Miner Football into a winning program. Like several other Miner fans, I voiced my opinion that he should be replaced, and, like those other fans, I became known as a "Mike Price hater". This despite the fact that I genuinely liked the man, and wished him no ill will. It is not "hating" to point out that he just wasn't doing very well at his job.

Nor is it "hating" to point out that Vince Hunter has several deficiencies in his game. There are, undoubtedly, several positives to his game, the most obvious being his NBA caliber athleticism and a motor that just won't quit. Having these attributes will make you successful at the college level. Unfortunately for Vince, you need more in order to make it in the NBA.

If he makes it to the NBA, he will be facing players with similar size and athleticism to his own. When this happens, he will need to rely on basketball skills to separate himself from the other players. It is in these skills that he lacks.

As has been pointed out, Vince became less effective as the season wore on, his "bull in a China shop" drives to the hoop becoming better defended as teams knew exactly what was coming. Now how effective is he going to be when his defender is as strong and as quick as he is, and there a very good rim protector clogging the lane as well?

He needs to develop a jump shot to at least mid-range. This should be completely obvious to everyone. Additionally, he needs to develop some moves in the post: a drop step, a jump hook, and a turnaround jumper would serve him extremely well. If he had these we might have won the conference, which would have resulted in a CUSA POY award for Vince.

Now, do the above critiques mean that I hate Vince? Not if you understand the meaning of the word. I desperately want him not only to make the NBA, but to also make a big impact on the league. I would absolutely love it if he made a ton of money, made multiple All-Star appearances, and won several NBA titles (all the better if those titles were with the Rockets). If he doesn't improve his game, however, he will have to make his money playing basketball overseas. He simply doesn't have the skills to make it in the NBA.

Originally posted by MinerManiac:

Once there was a language known as English, one where words had actual meanings. In this language, the word "hate" meant a complete loathing, a very strong dislike for someone or something. It certainly did not mean "to critique". Unfortunately this language has changed, and not for the better.

A case in point: I really like Mike Price. I believe him to be a very nice person and a gentlemen, and desperately wanted him to succeed as the coach of the UTEP Football Team. However, sometime during the course of what would eventually become seven straight losing seasons, it became apparent to me that Price was not going to be able to turn Miner Football into a winning program. Like several other Miner fans, I voiced my opinion that he should be replaced, and, like those other fans, I became known as a "Mike Price hater". This despite the fact that I genuinely liked the man, and wished him no ill will. It is not "hating" to point out that he just wasn't doing very well at his job.

Nor is it "hating" to point out that Vince Hunter has several deficiencies in his game. There are, undoubtedly, several positives to his game, the most obvious being his NBA caliber athleticism and a motor that just won't quit. Having these attributes will make you successful at the college level. Unfortunately for Vince, you need more in order to make it in the NBA.

If he makes it to the NBA, he will be facing players with similar size and athleticism to his own. When this happens, he will need to rely on basketball skills to separate himself from the other players. It is in these skills that he lacks.

As has been pointed out, Vince became less effective as the season wore on, his "bull in a China shop" drives to the hoop becoming better defended as teams knew exactly what was coming. Now how effective is he going to be when his defender is as strong and as quick as he is, and there a very good rim protector clogging the lane as well?

He needs to develop a jump shot to at least mid-range. This should be completely obvious to everyone. Additionally, he needs to develop some moves in the post: a drop step, a jump hook, and a turnaround jumper would serve him extremely well. If he had these we might have won the conference, which would have resulted in a CUSA POY award for Vince.

Now, do the above critiques mean that I hate Vince? Not if you understand the meaning of the word. I desperately want him not only to make the NBA, but to also make a big impact on the league. I would absolutely love it if he made a ton of money, made multiple All-Star appearances, and won several NBA titles (all the better if those titles were with the Rockets). If he doesn't improve his game, however, he will have to make his money playing basketball overseas. He simply doesn't have the skills to make it in the NBA.
Drops mic...
Walks off stage...

I hope he stays but if he thinks he can make it then he should . His stock is pretty high right now even if its only a 2nd round. He could have a down year next year and his stock drops . Then he doesn't get drafted at all. In the NBA he is going to have 24hrs a day to work on his craft.

Darby was a dumbass but what he indicated was frustration and obviously he spoke with some agent or another so he also passed along hearsay...What he typed was what I was thinking--Frustration and another disappointing end to yet another year. Maybe some folks need to go to the old dictionary and look up the definition of hate. You're misusing the word kinda llike music misusing the word " homophobic".

This post was edited on 3/31 10:00 PM by Miner Dawgma

Please take a look at the draft position analysis at the link. It shows that only 5% of the players drafted at the number 50 spot, where you said the mock draft had Vince, have made any type of impact on a team, that 20% may have made it on a team but are stuck deep on the bench, and 75% either never made it on a roster or soon found themselves out of a job. Vince needs to come back to school and work extremely hard on his game in order to improve his draft prospects.

NBA Draft Analysis

A lot of speculation and no proof of Vince Hunter going away.
Just let time take its course. I just hope Vince makes the right decision.
He has a bright future if he does the right thing. In my opinion he should
stay at least one more year.

Go Miners....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT