ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

A freshman forward who doesnt rebound and shot 5% from 3 (1-20) at the JC level. Decent shot blocker. Im pretty sure Jones is waaaaay better than this dude. What is Golding even thinking at this point?? I guess he needs a replacement for Dos Anjos.

Golding should have been let go already. It's shaping up to be another below average to poor recruiting cycle

Last edited:
Missed out on this guy!
Was Golding even going after him? Golding is talking a Big game and so far the main guys at UTEP haven't left which is encouraging. If Golding can't get 3 to 4 quality guys to come in and add to this team to get UTEP to the top 4 of the league next year and make a run at the NCAA he really should be let go!

Was Golding even going after him? Golding is talking a Big game and so far the main guys at UTEP haven't left which is encouraging. If Golding can't get 3 to 4 quality guys to come in and add to this team to get UTEP to the top 4 of the league next year and make a run at the NCAA he really should be let go!
Agreed. It's still early but it's welcomed to have continuity and surprising, so far. Golding still needs to add some impact players from the portal.

Don't we have a good freshman guard coming in? I mean, I agree it would be best to get an experienced guard/scorer, but keeping most of the kids we have now is a plus.

Questions, when is the last day to enter the portal? When is last day to sign a kid? I've been a little busy being audited.... ugh...

Reactions: jdubb66
This is just how Golding recruits. I can't imagine a good scorer will ever come to UTEP. What's goldings pitch? "Hey man. I know you can score but how about playing defense and getting steals? We play the same defense over and over and over. Half court offense? What's that? Can you just jack up 3s?"

This is just how Golding recruits. I can't imagine a good scorer will ever come to UTEP. What's goldings pitch? "Hey man. I know you can score but how about playing defense and getting steals? We play the same defense over and over and over. Half court offense? What's that? Can you just jack up 3s?"
Exactly 😜

Golding is all-in like Jerry Jones.

UTEP was in Brown-Jones' top three a couple of years back (he had an OV to El Paso), when he ended up going to UNC-Greensboro. Realistically, any chance for Golding to get Brown-Jones was missed at that time.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
He was a consensus 4 star (rivals, ESPN, 24/7) out of HS. Didn't do so hot at DePaul though. Hopefully he regained the mojo while at Trinity Valley and will bring something to the table for the Miners.
He scored 3 points in 11 minutes against the Miners two years ago!

He scored 3 points in 11 minutes against the Miners two years ago!
I'm aware. Like I said, he didn't do too hot at DP. Obviously he's got some game...or had game. One may be over rated by 1 recruiting service but it is rare for all 3 of the major ones to miss on a guy. We shall see though. Guys have a tendency of bringing out their "best" worst at UTEP.

Reactions: KaneFan29
So 18ppg and 38% 3P is not good enough for you? Juco All American also not enough? Maybe you are expecting too much
It might be. However, at best, he could replace Hardy or Powell. Is he going to be an upgrade? I don’t think so.

What other schools offered him? I can’t find any others. That tells me more than the stats he put up.

Maybe you don’t expect enough and are content with the losing program UTEP has become under Terry and Bronzeing.

I guess good pick up idk anymore. Asking for a d1 transfer that averages 8+ppg is too much obviously. Glad we got that big budget nil deal. Don’t know what kind of players we would be getting without it.

Reactions: KaneFan29
I guess good pick up idk anymore. Asking for a d1 transfer that averages 8+ppg is too much obviously. Glad we got that big budget nil deal. Don’t know what kind of players we would be getting without it.
You should enjoy the mediocre product and hope for another CUSA tournament run! Hey, we almost made the NCAAs!

FWIW, I did hear some positive things regarding Bynum from his visit. I believe another JC Forward also visited (may have been Dickerson). There are still some very solid JC guys available that could contribute right away. I think bringing in 2 JCs and 2 D1 transfers would be a solid strategy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT