ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP @ Boise St Official Game Thread (somebody has to do it)

6 turnovers?!? Did y'all somehow steal the Aggie curse from us???? Seriously that's hard to deal with.

You know it's bad when the other teams HC takes the foot off the pedal with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Gotta thank Boise for easing up on the pedal. Hope we didn't blow this game more with the injury report.
One game won't make or break a season...well except maybe the next one.
Bottom line: Same old Miners... Dimel's days are numbered.

Gotta thank Boise for easing up on the pedal. Hope we didn't blow this game more with the injury report.

With Senter in charge, not so sure Dismel won't instead get an extension and pay raise.

Dimel said on his radio show that UTEP agreed to play this game on a Friday instead of tomorrow so we could be on national TV. Seemingly anticipating a loss, he called suck a conservative game. Why did he choose to embarrass us on national TV if he wasn't playing to win? No, we probably weren't going to win anyway but why set us up for this if he didn't even plan to try to play to win?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Missed the game tonight, just scrolling through the comments.

UTEP seemingly lost the game mentally before it even kicked off.

Reactions: axingfools1
I don’t know if we should be thanking Boise for easing up. They did go for it on 4th and goal in the third when the game was decided.

Reactions: utep2step
Dimel said on his radio show that UTEP agreed to play this game on a Friday instead of tomorrow so we could be on national TV. Seemingly anticipating a loss, he called suck a conservative game. Why did he choose to embarrass us on national TV if he wasn't playing to win? No, we probably weren't going to win anyway but why set us up for this if he didn't even plan to try to play to win?
That’s not how it works. They don’t ask UTEPs permission to move it to Friday. They tell UTEP it’s going to be on Friday.

Reactions: kickballpro
The 1st half stats were pretty even but giving up a punt return td and the last minute pick when UTEP was at the 6 killed any chance of being competitive. Should have been no worse than 34-20 at the half. Horrible game by the Miners. They have to shake it off and come back and play well vs UNM in 2 weeks.

Reactions: unihorn
I don’t know if we should be thanking Boise for easing up. They did go for it on 4th and goal in the third when the game was decided.
Give Dimel the full Darren Hunt experience (if they let him in) for the Monday Morning Presser after that humiliating performance on national TV Friday night. That was embarrassing.

No one expected a UTEP win but then again this was Boise, not Alabama. Make Dimel squirm in his chair from Hunt's questions. Make him feel so uncomfortable that Dimel feels like belting him one like Kugler wanted to do a few short years back. Darren's relationship with UTEP goes back years. It has been very, very contentious for over twenty years and sometimes Hunt did take it too far, but then again when it comes to UTEP football and games like we witnessed last night UTEP deserved every negative press coverage.

Give Dimel the full Darren Hunt experience (if they let him in) for the Monday Morning Presser after that humiliating performance on national TV Friday night. That was embarrassing.

No one expected a UTEP win but then again this was Boise, not Alabama. Make Dimel squirm in his chair from Hunt's questions. Make him feel so uncomfortable that Dimel feels like belting him one like Kugler wanted to do a few short years back. Darren's relationship with UTEP goes back years. It has been very, very contentious for over twenty years and sometimes Hunt did take it too far, but then again when it comes to UTEP football and games like we witnessed last night UTEP deserved every negative press coverage.
Is Darren back in the biz?

That’s not how it works. They don’t ask UTEPs permission to move it to Friday. They tell UTEP it’s going to be on Friday.
I don't think so. If the contract is written so that the home team can change the date to accommodate their media partner then UTEP had no choice. But otherwise Boise St could not force their opponent to change dates. This was a disadvantage for UTEP having 6 days to prepare and travel while BSU had 8 but i doubt it affected the game much at all.

UTEP could have had two weeks, a Novena to St. Bum Phillips, no college homework and a body massage by nfl cheerleaders and Dimel would still have not been prepared for BSU.

Dimel touted our 22 minute time of possession in 1H. It’s about scoring, not time of possession.

Reactions: picks up
We’re there enough good things in the BSU game to make you guys think they can beat UNM, and make a run for 5-6 wins?

I like the fact that Cowing is a legit baller, and the run game has shown they can move the ball when they get going. But penalties, penalties, penalties. So many of them were just boneheaded plays that either killed drives, or let the opposing offense off the hook. At this point I’ve accepted that UTEP won’t magically squeeze more talent out of these players because it’s not there but they can play more disciplined and cut down the mistakes.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
We’re there enough good things in the BSU game to make you guys think they can beat UNM, and make a run for 5-6 wins?

I like the fact that Cowing is a legit baller, and the run game has shown they can move the ball when they get going. But penalties, penalties, penalties. So many of them were just boneheaded plays that either killed drives, or let the opposing offense off the hook. At this point I’ve accepted that UTEP won’t magically squeeze more talent out of these players because it’s not there but they can play more disciplined and cut down the mistakes.
Let’s see what UNM does vs. aggy tonight.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin

Only because we already have two wins and the team has looked competent at times; do I think 5 or 6 wins is possible.

And also because we play UNM, Old Dominion, and Rice at home. They UNM game is HUGE. Lose that and I don’t see the Miners getting 5 or 6. Will be downhill from there. Lose the following weekend to ODU and the season is over.

The one thing Miner fans should know by now is the etiquette around getting blown out. Going for it on 4th and goal isn't running up the score. On the other hand, kicking a field goal with 5 minutes left...

Only because we already have two wins and the team has looked competent at times; do I think 5 or 6 wins is possible.

And also because we play UNM, Old Dominion, and Rice at home. They UNM game is HUGE. Lose that and I don’t see the Miners getting 5 or 6. Will be downhill from there. Lose the following weekend to ODU and the season is over.
This. We have 3 winnable games coming up. Granted "winnable game" is an oxymoron with UTEP football. If we don't come out of week 6 4-2 or better, the season's done. I don't know if I see more than 1 win in the second half of our schedule.

And, honestly, I don't see where all the consternation is coming. If, when the schedule came out, someone told you wins against NMSU and Bethune and blown out in Boise, you should have known that was the likely outcome of the first three games.

This. We have 3 winnable games coming up. Granted "winnable game" is an oxymoron with UTEP football. If we don't come out of week 6 4-2 or better, the season's done. I don't know if I see more than 1 win in the second half of our schedule.

And, honestly, I don't see where all the consternation is coming. If, when the schedule came out, someone told you wins against NMSU and Bethune and blown out in Boise, you should have known that was the likely outcome of the first three games.
Consternation comes from last night’s shit show.

Consternation comes from last night’s shit show.
Even though that was predicted by most too, considering Dimel’s statement about slowing the game down…which was translated by many as, “playing this one out not to win”. Judging from comments, most seemed to think that it was a forgone conclusion that the ass whooping was about to commence.

Indee it was a shit show nonetheless.

You’re right to an extent. On paper and without context, yes 2-1 is where we were “expected” to be at. However, we’re still seeing dumb penalties and the same poor play calling as the previous 3 seasons.

The NMSU game wasn’t as dominant as it could have been and the Bethune game, was closer than it should have been. Last night, we saw the same junk we usually see when the team is overmatched. We didn’t play Texas or Purdue, we played un ranked Boise St.

We’re all tired of losing and looking like shit.

So my score prediction was 51-13 BSU wins. I was 3 points off. That said, I can predict the we will get blown out *and* hope that we don't *and* not like it when we actually get blown out. It's just human nature, I suppose.

Anyway, I also said we'd go 1-11. I expected a win vs NMSU and losses from there out. So we beat B-CU. Meh. I don't expect another win this season.

FYI, I'll bitch and moan and complain after the season when Senter extends Dismel and raises his pay. And I won't be alone in doing so.

So my score prediction was 51-13 BSU wins. I was 3 points off. That said, I can predict the we will get blown out *and* hope that we don't *and* not like it when we actually get blown out. It's just human nature, I suppose.

Anyway, I also said we'd go 1-11. I expected a win vs NMSU and losses from there out. So we beat B-CU. Meh. I don't expect another win this season.

FYI, I'll bitch and moan and complain after the season when Senter extends Dismel and raises his pay. And I won't be alone in doing so.
We would hope, Dimel would get fired, if they don’t win another game. He sucks, I like how Mike Perez questioned the stupid wildcat plays… I swear Dimel probably runs it’s to pay homeage to KSU lol

So Bloomquist writes that Caldwell and Prince, both starters in the defensive backfield, did not play. Neither did Wadley or Hankins on offense. Starting center Meyer went out of the game early. Dimel expects most back for UNM.

Reactions: Lil_Train
So Bloomquist writes that Caldwell and Prince, both starters in the defensive backfield, did not play. Neither did Wadley or Hankins on offense. Starting center Meyer went out of the game early. Dimel expects most back for UNM.
My question is, will Dimel play to win or play timid to protect his player thinking he doesn't have a chance?
I guess that answers my question. He played timid to protect his players thinking he had no chance to win.

Was he right?

Reactions: kickballpro
Three games into the season and this team already looks like a M*A*S*H unit? What does that say about their strength and conditioning?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT