ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP just lost El Paso’s top 2 Senior HS players to UNM.

Former Miner Troy Reffet, who’s on UNM’s staff, has done a good job recruiting top players from El Paso.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Dumas and Marenco both committed to UNM this week. I liked both of those guys. Not a good look for UTEP.

I dunno, man. Of course, I would love to see the city's best stay home and play for UTEP. But I myself left El Paso as fast as I could by joining the U.S. Air Force. I needed to get out of the city to experience life.

So, ok. Is Albuquerque all that different? Well, probably not. But, it's still not EP. It's still an opportunity to live elsewhere and get a taste of life outside of EP.

And with that in mind, it's not all that big of a loss for UTEP. Some people just want to see what it's like somewhere else.

IMO this is more of reflection on Dimel than on UTEP.

There isn’t much difference between a team that finished 2-10 and a 1-11 team. The only thing that separates us is that they sneaked out a win vs nmsu.

Danny must be a very like able guy and convinced them they’re going to change the culture in Albuquerque.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
IMO this is more of reflection on Dimel than on UTEP.

There isn’t much difference between a team that finished 2-10 and a 1-11 team. The only thing that separates us is that they sneaked out a win vs nmsu.

Danny must be a very like able guy and convinced them they’re going to change the culture in Albuquerque.
I agree and while Dimel may be likeable his teams didn't improve from one year to the next and recruits might be thinking about that as well.

I dunno, man. Of course, I would love to see the city's best stay home and play for UTEP. But I myself left El Paso as fast as I could by joining the U.S. Air Force. I needed to get out of the city to experience life.

So, ok. Is Albuquerque all that different? Well, probably not. But, it's still not EP. It's still an opportunity to live elsewhere and get a taste of life outside of EP.

And with that in mind, it's not all that big of a loss for UTEP. Some people just want to see what it's like somewhere else.

I agree with this. Most kids want to leave home for college or career opportunities. I think that's very healthy and needed. I dont know many people who want to stay at home and go to college. I dont fault them for wanting to spread their wings.

I agree with this. Most kids want to leave home for college or career opportunities. I think that's very healthy and needed. I dont know many people who want to stay at home and go to college. I dont fault them for wanting to spread their wings.
I would say most kids in El Paso

For most people spending over 100k on a college education isn't possible.

Commuter schools hardly capture the college experience. I'm a proud UTEP grad but if I had do-overs.....

If you’re talking about kids with D1 FBS football talent, I agree.

Why on God’s green earth would a high school kid choose to play for UTEP if he has received scholarship offers from other schools? There are very few reasons to choose UTEP given their total lack of success.

To be fair, UNM isn’t that much better than UTEP. Slightly better overall history, worse stadium, fan attendance is about the same, ABQ is overall a “better” city than El Paso.

The MWC is better than CUSA. Games versus Boise St, road trips to Hawaii, San Diego, and Las Vegas. MWC isn’t filled with football programs that didn’t exist 10 years ago and rural dump towns like CUSA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Autograph Boy
To be fair, UNM isn’t that much better than UTEP. Slightly better overall history, worse stadium, fan attendance is about the same, ABQ is overall a “better” city than El Paso.

The MWC is better than. Games versus Boise St, road trips to Hawaii, San Diego, and Las Vegas. MWC isn’t filled with football programs that didn’t exist 10 years ago and rural dump towns like CUSA.

I prefer El Paso over Albuquerque. Other than that, I agree with you.

If he wanted to go to a real football school he had way better offers than UNM. IMO he wanted to stay as local as possible and Danny is building a solid roster. Everything he’s done on paper shows the culture might be about to change at UNM.

UTEP would have landed him if Dimel had shown real signs of changing the culture.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Why only go after Utep when they lose a kid from El Paso?? Why not also hate on the other Texas Schools?? Where is UTSA ,North Texas and SMU?? Texas Tech has no excuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT