ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP NMSU Preview

I believe Martin will have the kinks worked out after the lack luster spring games. Wadley has done solid work against NMSU but Dimel's hair pulling play calling are expected to continue no matter which O.C. in the booth. Dimel has final say.

This is a must and should win game. He let Hardison call his own plays in the spring game and Hardison aired it out. NMSU will stack it, they have too.

I don’t think this game will be close. The Aggies have a new QB to break in and the Aggie defense returns only ONE starter. The Miner offense should be able to control this game. Miners by 17.
Agree. UTEP has a ton of experience and NMSU has very little. UTEP should have a dominating performance. 38 - 17.

Reactions: EMA884
I believe Martin will have the kinks worked out after the lack luster spring games. Wadley has done solid work against NMSU but Dimel's hair pulling play calling are expected to continue no matter which O.C. in the booth. Dimel has final say.

This is a must and should win game. He let Hardison call his own plays in the spring game and Hardison aired it out. NMSU will stack it, they have too.
Good analysis

The Miners need to beat the aggies to start the season on a winning note. This is a must win for the Miners. A strong performance will carry over to the next games. The aggies looked terrible against TSU, and struggled against a mediocre FCS team. Having said that, Martin will have the aggies ready to play UTEP. The aggies take this game very seriously and always play their best against UTEP. I’d like to see a balance attack on offense with Hardison airing the ball to our talented receivers and Hankins and co. pounding the ball. I’m also excited about seeing Praise and the rest of our defense put pressure on the aggies. Miners 34 aggies 10.

I hope you all are right but the last totally dominating performance was a 45-0 win Price's first year (NMSU led by Samuels option offense) and the following year at NMSU when Mumme the dummy was hired and that is now almost twenty years ago.

Reactions: shyminer81
I hope you all are right but the last totally dominating performance was a 45-0 win Price's first year (NMSU led by Samuels option offense) and the following year at NMSU when Mumme the dummy was hired and that is now almost twenty years ago.
31-6 is dominating. Especially, when you factor in the 512 to 193 yards and 7.1 to 4.3 yards per play advantage.

Yes but it stands for all. Not an advantage.
Did not say there was an advantage. I said if this team is good this year then they should be even better in 2022. That would apply any year when a good team returns a lot of starters and depth. We still don't know if we have a good team this year but I'm expecting them to be improved.

Did not say there was an advantage. I said if this team is good this year then they should be even better in 2022. That would apply any year when a good team returns a lot of starters and depth. We still don't know if we have a good team this year but I'm expecting them to be improved.
Fair enough. Just pointing out (CUSA-centric) all teams have built-in depth because of the extra year.

Fair enough. Just pointing out (CUSA-centric) all teams have built-in depth because of the extra year.
Apparently it has it's challenges up and down the world of college football.

"2. How has the new Super Senior rule made it more difficult to manage your rosters?
The Super Senior rule is in place for 2021, which allows players who were seniors in 2021 to come back because of the season impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. A total of 60 percent of the coaches who responded said the rule will make it much more difficult to manage rosters and recruiting classes after this season:

"An emphatic yes," one FBS coach said. "Not for 2021, but for the next three years not knowing who's going to come back, who's going to leave. It puts us in a real management bind of how we handle incoming recruiting classes.""

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...-expansion-and-more/1eylk6zzw2wiczlmglskf309o

I really don’t think 5,000 UTEP fans will be at the NMSU game. What excitement is there for the game? I think the majority of the fanbase doesn’t believe in a 5-1 start.

Apparently it has it's challenges up and down the world of college football.

"2. How has the new Super Senior rule made it more difficult to manage your rosters?
The Super Senior rule is in place for 2021, which allows players who were seniors in 2021 to come back because of the season impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. A total of 60 percent of the coaches who responded said the rule will make it much more difficult to manage rosters and recruiting classes after this season:

"An emphatic yes," one FBS coach said. "Not for 2021, but for the next three years not knowing who's going to come back, who's going to leave. It puts us in a real management bind of how we handle incoming recruiting classes.""

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...-expansion-and-more/1eylk6zzw2wiczlmglskf309o
These next 3-4 years are going to be interesting in college football. Guys that were freshmen last year could be at a school for six years and maybe 7 if they have an injury. That's going to be just crazy!

Hey Taco,
Any camp updates worth mentioning?
Nothing much. The team is looking a lot better this week. Couple of players we'll be counting on have been dinged up. One thing that I have noticed this week is Gavin has started throwing the ball to more people than just Jacob and Justin. Tyrin Smith is our best slot receiver. Dennis Barnes is the fastest player on the team, but can really only run a few routes effectively. Jakolby has started throwing some deep balls. This kids looks really good with our 3rd and 4th string guys going against the 2nd team defense. Don't know how much of a drop off is between the 1st and 2nd, but they simply cant stop him. Been seeing a lot of 4 wide. The running game looks pretty good out of it actually. They've been throwing the ball to the backs a little bit out of it as well. I'm not sold on the defense. The pass rush is taking too long to apply pressure and the secondary is having a hard time holding up. Linebackers look ok when they're kept clean, but that seems to be an issue as well. Could be by design though because the tackles seem to be playing a one gap scheme and only one of our DTs (Kelton Moss) looks to be big enough to hold up in a two gap. Overall, the team looks to be faster. Practices are more competitive this year, with more guys getting on teammates who seem to not be focused.

Nothing much. The team is looking a lot better this week. Couple of players we'll be counting on have been dinged up. One thing that I have noticed this week is Gavin has started throwing the ball to more people than just Jacob and Justin. Tyrin Smith is our best slot receiver. Dennis Barnes is the fastest player on the team, but can really only run a few routes effectively. Jakolby has started throwing some deep balls. This kids looks really good with our 3rd and 4th string guys going against the 2nd team defense. Don't know how much of a drop off is between the 1st and 2nd, but they simply cant stop him. Been seeing a lot of 4 wide. The running game looks pretty good out of it actually. They've been throwing the ball to the backs a little bit out of it as well. I'm not sold on the defense. The pass rush is taking too long to apply pressure and the secondary is having a hard time holding up. Linebackers look ok when they're kept clean, but that seems to be an issue as well. Could be by design though because the tackles seem to be playing a one gap scheme and only one of our DTs (Kelton Moss) looks to be big enough to hold up in a two gap. Overall, the team looks to be faster. Practices are more competitive this year, with more guys getting on teammates who seem to not be focused.
I would like to think our offense line and wide receivers are so talented that they are making the defensive line and secondary look average.

Last edited:

Early Forecast for Las Cruces: High of 92 degrees, 0% of rain. Game Time temperature for the 7:30 PM start around 87 degrees. 🏈
(Sources: weather.com and weatherbug.com.)
going for 4 straight. The last time UTEP football beat Las Cruces the current 4th year seniors were in high school. Frustrating. If the streak isn't broken I say we're in for a really terrible season overall.

Worst case scenario: UTEP loses to NMSU and Bethune Cookman... does Dimel make the trip to Boise?

On paper the Miners seem to have the Aggies in most columns. Aggies have two Quarterbacks with no major experience, new backfield and no real go to receiver. Have not seen many offenses overcome those odds, but then again I have seen us shredded by offenses just like theirs. Miners have to get the best of them early, come out swinging and put them out of their misery by half-time. If we screw around and give them breaks, let them find themselves might be a long night.

On paper the Miners seem to have the Aggies in most columns. Aggies have two Quarterbacks with no major experience, new backfield and no real go to receiver. Have not seen many offenses overcome those odds, but then again I have seen us shredded by offenses just like theirs. Miners have to get the best of them early, come out swinging and put them out of their misery by half-time. If we screw around and give them breaks, let them find themselves might be a long night.
So you're saying there's a chance....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT