ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP to AAC?

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Why are we assuming that UTEP is looking at expanding to the MWC? With Big 12 expansion looming, and the two most favored candidates presumably from the AAC (Cincinnati and Houston, Memphis, UCONN), the AAC is not standing pat. They are actively looking for candidates to replace the departing members and UTEP would certainly be asked to provide at least a portfolio of what they bring to the conference.

Now, since CUSA's television revenue has taken a severe hit, there is little choice in UTEP staying if it gets a better offer from a bigger conference. I know everyone wants to go to the MWC but what's changed there recently...nothing?

The problem with the AAC is we are being blocked by Houston. Right now Houston is the big dog in that conference and they earned it. Houston doesnt want to UTEP.

The MWC is actively looking to expand. They have put out feelers to a few schools. The rumors of Rice and UTEP now wichita State dont come out of nowhere. There are alot of things happening behind the scenes. On another board a poster claimed an invitation to the MWC was on Natalicio's desk. I havent heard that but have heard there are serious ongoing discussions with the MWC. I wish the MWC wouldnt have been made public that makes me nervous. I dont think the move is 100% like others do, but I think its very likely 80%. Im holding my breath until there is an signed agreement .

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
The problem with the AAC is we are being blocked by Houston. Right now Houston is the big dog in that conference and they earned it. Houston doesnt want to UTEP.

The MWC is actively looking to expand. They have put out feelers to a few schools. The rumors of Rice and UTEP now wichita State dont come out of nowhere. There are alot of things happening behind the scenes. On another board a poster claimed an invitation to the MWC was on Natalicio's desk. I havent heard that but have heard there are serious ongoing discussions with the MWC. I wish the MWC wouldnt have been made public that makes me nervous. I dont think the move is 100% like others do, but I think its very likely 80%. Im holding my breath until there is an signed agreement .
Didn't Jdubb just say if Houston left Utep would be a viable option? So it wouldn't matter at that point if Houston didn't want Utep!

Didn't Jdubb just say if Houston left Utep would be a viable option? So it wouldn't matter at that point if Houston didn't want Utep!

Schools are leaving Houston isnt part of the first wave. UCONN and Cincy will leave.

I think you're right, "if" Houston were to leave.

However, there is very little to suggest Houston is going anywhere, anytime soon.

The narrative from some of Houston's big dawgs seems to have shifted from certainty of getting a P5 invite soon to questionably getting an invite down the road.

I think it's more likely that the AAC will look to poach the best from the MWC in an attempt to be that hybrid conference that somewhat straddles the P5 and G5. Just my opinion, though.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
I think you're right, "if" Houston were to leave.

However, there is very little to suggest Houston is going anywhere, anytime soon.

The narrative from some of Houston's big dawgs seems to have shifted from certainty of getting a P5 invite soon to questionably getting an invite down the road.

I think it's more likely that the AAC will look to poach the best from the MWC in an attempt to be that hybrid conference that somewhat straddles the P5 and G5. Just my opinion, though.

They've tried to poach Boise State and Colorado State but neither are interested. The instability of the big 12 will get the MWC schools from entertaining a move to the AAC.

They've tried to poach Boise State and Colorado State but neither are interested. The instability of the big 12 will get the MWC schools from entertaining a move to the AAC.

I try to refrain from coming off as certain about anything in regards to conference realignment. We have no idea what the interests of the university in our own backyard are, let alone what the interests are of schools that are hundreds of miles away and in another conference.

I believe the Big 12 will stabilize soon. I doubt they will expand this go around, despite the findings of the analysis committee that said a 12 team conference would be optimal. Money talks and the AAC made almost twice as much from the bowl season as the closest G5 competitor. Again, just my guess, but in the end, the financial incentive will be too much for G5 schools to turn down. I think Mike Aresco, from the AAC, is looking to make some big moves to solidify that conference as the "next best thing" to being in a P5 conference.

I try to refrain from coming off as certain about anything in regards to conference realignment. We have no idea what the interests of the university in our own backyard are, let alone what the interests are of schools that are hundreds of miles away and in another conference.

I believe the Big 12 will stabilize soon. I doubt they will expand this go around, despite the findings of the analysis committee that said a 12 team conference would be optimal. Money talks and the AAC made almost twice as much from the bowl season as the closest G5 competitor. Again, just my guess, but in the end, the financial incentive will be too much for G5 schools to turn down. I think Mike Aresco, from the AAC, is looking to make some big moves to solidify that conference as the "next best thing" to being in a P5 conference.

The part about Colorado State and Boise wasnt conjecture on my part or "insider information" they were public overtures. The problem right now is the fear the aac will be waterdowned. Boise gets 1st tier money in the MWC, thats hard to turn down for another g5 conference. I completely agree Mike Aresco hands down the best commissioner in the AAC.

I think Houston eventually will end up in the Pac 12. I think the issue will be travel parter. It looked liked like Texas, but now it looks like they are more likely to join the ACC. The Pac 12 has had representatives visit UH. The biggest city in Texas is too tempting for the Pac 12 to pass up. The following is conjecture on my part. I think Rice may end up in the pac 12 with Houston. Their academics are world class on par with PAC 12 schools. They dont have a religous affiliation which would be a no go in the pac 12. Their athletics arent there but would improve quickly in the PAC 12.

The part about Colorado State and Boise wasnt conjecture on my part or "insider information" they were public overtures. The problem right now is the fear the aac will be waterdowned. Boise gets 1st tier money in the MWC, thats hard to turn down for another g5 conference. I completely agree Mike Aresco hands down the best commissioner in the AAC.

I think Houston eventually will end up in the Pac 12. I think the issue will be travel parter. It looked liked like Texas, but now it looks like they are more likely to join the ACC. The Pac 12 has had representatives visit UH. The biggest city in Texas is too tempting for the Pac 12 to pass up. The following is conjecture on my part. I think Rice may end up in the pac 12 with Houston. Their academics are world class on par with PAC 12 schools. They dont have a religous affiliation which would be a no go in the pac 12. Their athletics arent there but would improve quickly in the PAC 12.

I don't want to go back and forth on BSU and CSU and what their interests are too much longer, but didn't they turn down the AAC a couple years ago? As the landscape takes shape, I think interests will shift. Besides, I'm not so sure that's who the AAC would be solely interested in. Boise is kind of a given but there is SDSU, AFA, UNLV and Fresno St as options also. I could be way off base, but it seems to me there are universities that are going to want to position themselves most optimally come the next major realignment. And I think the AAC has demonstrated that it will lead the way as far as G5 conferences are concerned. Again, just a hunch.

Your take on Houston and Rice is interesting to me. I've heard rumblings about UH to the PAC12, but I've heard that it's about 5-7 years away. I'm not sold on it because a lot can change in that amount of time. However your take in regards to Rice as a travel partner piqued my interest. I haven't heard of that as a possible scenario but it makes sense the way you frame it. I have heard of TT as being a possible travel partner with Houston, though, as well as Oklahoma. Personally I don't see OK and OSU splitting up though. It'll be interesting to see how it all goes down over the next few years.

There are alot of things happening behind the scenes. On another board a poster claimed an invitation to the MWC was on Natalicio's desk. .

Is that how it works? Like a letter of intent. Dr. Natalicio received a fax and is pondering whether or not the University can make several extra million dollars while decreasing their budget at the same time. And she is struggling with it.

Is that how it works? Like a letter of intent. Dr. Natalicio received a fax and is pondering whether or not the University can make several extra million dollars while decreasing their budget at the same time. And she is struggling with it.

IF she really has an invitation. She has alerted the UT board of regents. They will rubber stamp it. Then wait for a meeting of the MWC presidents to publicly announce it. The money isnt an issue they already have donors ready to step in and pay for it.

The thing is Houston isn't even the main College team that people care about in Houston, Its A&M. SEC has the Houston Market. Adding Houston to the PAC 12 wouldn't change that!

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The thing is Houston isn't even the main College team that people care about in Houston, Its A&M. SEC has the Houston Market. Adding Houston to the PAC 12 wouldn't change that!

Houston is an Aggie stronghold, but UH's brand and popularity are on the rise. The Cougar's brand has never been as big in Houston as it is now. The Cougars are more popular now than they were in the 80's with phi slamma jamma and Bill Yeoman's powerhouse football teams. From the Pac 12's perspective they get a top 10 tv market and a presence in the biggest city in Texas. That would add millions to the pac 12's tv contracts and boost the sagging pac 12 network. It also gives the Pac 12 a presence in the best football and basketball recruiting grounds in the country.

The thing about the Pac 12 is that academics and cultural fit matter more than any other conference. They also wont take schools with religous affiliations. That eliminates BYU, TCU, Baylor and SMU. Academics rule out UNLV and Boise State. Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are two schools always rumored to be in play. However, Tech's academics aren't up to pac 12 standards. OSU's are a little better but not quite pac 12 good. The bigger problem is cultural fit. I cant imagine pac 12 presidents bringing schools from small conservative towns into the fold. Stillwater and Lubbock are the polar opposites of all Pac 12 cities. Athletically, academically,monetarily and culturally Houston brings more than any of the available expansion targets.

And I guess I missed the article that said the PAC 12 was expanding to 14 and looking at Houston?

The Pac 12 wanted a foothold in Texas. Who wouldn't? They approached UT, who balked at the end because of their insistence on having their own Longhorn network and revenue sharing. If the P12 was interested in expanding, which Larry Scott has indicated they're not, then the State of Texas is target number one. Although Scott has gone on record saying the P12 has no plans to expand, the market has a way of forcing your hand. They have a contingency plan should the football universe start shifting again and that'll start with the Big 12. Once the Big 12 announces the two additions or who they're serious about, the shifting will start. Does that mean Houston to the Big 12? Who knows! Houston would a nice addition for the P12, but I don't think Rice is. The P12 are snobs (in a good way) and although Houston isn't considered a profile school, on par with Texas, etc., you can't bypass the largeness of the City itself. I'm not sure Rice is a viable second. As for Texas Tech, I agree with Lubbock being uber conservative, but so is Palo Alto and Pullman Washington. The good thing for UH is they're going to have options. The only potential loser here will be the AAC. They need to pull in more higher profile programs and UH would be nice. But UH is the pretty girl at the dance. She has her choice of dance partners and she's just waiting for Mr. Right to ask. lol.

I totally agree on the religious issue with BYU, TCU, etc. The P12 won't touch them. Besides, I don't think TCU is ready to bail the Big 12 and I don't think BYU would want to give up the control they currently have by joining the P12. Money has a way of changing that, but from my experience, BYU isn't that easy to sway.

Obviously, all of this is conjecture until the Big 12 makes their move. Once they do, then the domino's will start falling.

The thing about the Pac 12 is that academics and cultural fit matter more than any other conference. They also wont take schools with religous affiliations. That eliminates BYU, TCU, Baylor and SMU. Academics rule out UNLV and Boise State. Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are two schools always rumored to be in play. However, Tech's academics aren't up to pac 12 standards. OSU's are a little better but not quite pac 12 good. The bigger problem is cultural fit. I cant imagine pac 12 presidents bringing schools from small conservative towns into the fold. Stillwater and Lubbock are the polar opposites of all Pac 12 cities. Athletically, academically,monetarily and culturally Houston brings more than any of the available expansion targets.

Tech to the PAC 12 is like Donald Trump asking to become a card carrying member in La Raza Unida. Not going to happen. This Lubbock people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT