ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP v UNT

I don’t care what they think, they obviously don’t know basketball- were you at the damn game?? Took friend of mine from NC (Tar Heel fan) - he didn’t have a dog in the fight and agreed that first half was the worst he’s ever seen...

I listened to it and watched parts of it. I remember Teicher one time said UTEP traveled and it wasn't called.

Every game when we lose somebody says that the refs are terrible. It's nothing new.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Nice win by UNT. I like their game. I don't think they win a game in the NCAA yet, but they are getting better and their seniors are not huge contributors. Too bad Smart has not been the same since his injury.

UTEP has the talent. They play good defense (except being spotty at the rim based on the lineup). If we could just pick up the pace and use our athleticism more to score or get fouled, we could be so much better. It's been a trusting middle 3rd of the season because of the big start and now the "what ifs?".

If Terry is stuck in his ways, we will need guards that can really shoot and hope that Williams returns. Otherwise I dont see UTEP having much of a future with Terry.

I listened to it and watched parts of it. I remember Teicher one time said UTEP traveled and it wasn't called.

Every game when we lose somebody says that the refs are terrible. It's nothing new.
Ok, really, that’s all you got?? You’re an idiot, go have someone sign something for you, boy, I’m done with you.

Did anyone listen to the pregame show with Teicher and Terry? Teicher asked Terry point blank if Efe would play. Terry said that he didn't know and that the game would dictate the answer to that question.

I thought that that was such a BS answer. Efe was clearly in the dog house and if he's going to be punished why not just say so? I wouldn't have had a problem with Terry just saying that Efe broke team rules and is being taught a lesson.

I don't like the way he handles the media and seems to hide a lot of stuff (even petty, unnecessary stuff like this). I understand, as fans, we will never get the entire truth in any program but why not be a little more transparent?

I don't know maybe I'm frustrated and letting a little thing bother me, anyone feel the same way or disagree?

UTEP played good enough defense to win today against a pretty good offensive team that had won 7 in a row. It was an uphill battle, but finally getting to see them in person gave me a better picture. Lathon nor Hawkins are PG's nor Leaders. Williams and Boum are by far our strongest scoring options. Edwards is great sometimes, but then disappears in some games like today. A lot of talent, but no direction on this team unfortunately. With that said I think we'll go 4-2 over the next 6 and be 17-10 and 7-7 in conference going in to POD Play. This team reminds me of Barbees CBI team. There are some good parts, but they're not assembled yet, so they appear very mediocre.

Reactions: MinerJo and Pony10
Did anyone listen to the pregame show with Teicher and Terry? Teicher asked Terry point blank if Efe would play. Terry said that he didn't know and that the game would dictate the answer to that question.

I thought that that was such a BS answer. Efe was clearly in the dog house and if he's going to be punished why not just say so? I wouldn't have had a problem with Terry just saying that Efe broke team rules and is being taught a lesson.

I don't like the way he handles the media and seems to hide a lot of stuff (even petty, unnecessary stuff like this). I understand, as fans, we will never get the entire truth in any program but why not be a little more transparent?

I don't know maybe I'm frustrated and letting a little thing bother me, anyone feel the same way or disagree?

100% agree

Reactions: picks up
UTEP played good enough defense to win today against a pretty good offensive team that had won 7 in a row. It was an uphill battle, but finally getting to see them in person gave me a better picture. Lathon nor Hawkins are PG's nor Leaders. Williams and Boum are by far our strongest scoring options. Edwards is great sometimes, but then disappears in some games like today. A lot of talent, but no direction on this team unfortunately. With that said I think we'll go 4-2 over the next 6 and be 17-10 and 7-7 in conference going in to POD Play. This team reminds me of Barbees CBI team. There are some good parts, but they're not assembled yet, so they appear very mediocre.

Which 4 teams are UTEP beating?

The 08-09 team would beat this team by over 20 points. There is no comparison. They were 4th place in a better CUSA,

Which 4 teams are UTEP beating?

The 08-09 team would beat this team by over 20 points. There is no comparison. They were 4th place in a better CUSA,
That team was talented, but had some puzzling losses and wasn't a complete team yet. I believe they had 13 losses before going to CBI. I may be wrong, but I think this team will play in the CBI and do ok and build for next year. Depending of course who stays. Hopefully Williams remains. And 3 or 4 home games and maybe ODU.

Last edited:
That team was talented, but had some puzzling losses and wasn't a complete team yet. I believe they had 13 losses before going to CBI. I may be wrong, but I think this team will play in the CBI and do ok and build for next year. Depending of course who stays. Hopefully Williams remains. And 3 or 4 home games and maybe ODU.

But that team is still a lot better than this year's team.

No way will UTEP win 3/4 or 4/4 home games.

But that team is still a lot better than this year's team.

No way will UTEP win 3/4 or 4/4 home games.
That team definitely got better as the season went on and you're right this team doesn't look to be improving. However I'm sticking with 4 out of next six at least. We'll see how it goes. If I'm wrong and you're right, I'll admit I was putting to much hope in this team.

That team definitely got better as the season went on and you're right this team doesn't look to be improving. However I'm sticking with 4 out of next six at least. We'll see how it goes. If I'm wrong and you're right, I'll admit I was putting to much hope in this team.

I really hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Four out of six is realistic. We’ve been good at home. Could be undefeated if it wasn’t for the choke job against the highest rated team in the conference. That goes to show we can beat anyone in conference at home.

Reactions: nattybry
Four out of six is realistic. We’ve been good at home. Could be undefeated if it wasn’t for the choke job against the highest rated team in the conference. That goes to show we can beat anyone in conference at home.
We've choked away 3 games in conference so far. How much better would it be to be sitting at 6-2 in conference and 16-6. Only if they knew how to close out games. A split was good on this past toad trip. Now take care of home and split the two road games and it just might not end up doom and gloom.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Did you ever find out?
No. I was going to ask the guy after the game but forgot about it.

I was sitting next to two couples who drove in from El Paso. They’re big basketball fans and attend every radio show. All four said that was unusual behavior from Terry. That’s he’s one of the nicest coach they’ve interacted with. I told them I felt he was prideful and arrogant but they said they’ve never gotten that vibe from him while interacting with him or him with other fans. Whatever the guy said must have been really disrespectful to get Terry to snap like that.

UNT had their second biggest crowd of the season last night. Second to the 5k they sold vs Oklahoma. They’ve been averaging around 2,200 but last night was almost double.

I think it’s so interesting that instead of focusing on how to squeeze extra dollars for what they consider a “name” opponent they go the opposite way. They have a great promotion that leads to a big crowd. They might of lost money in the revenue department but they made sure the crowd helped them win the game.

UNT had their second biggest crowd of the season last night. Second to the 5k they sold vs Oklahoma. They’ve been averaging around 2,200 but last night was almost double.

I think it’s so interesting that instead of focusing on how to squeeze extra dollars for what they consider a “name” opponent they go the opposite way. They have a great promotion that leads to a big crowd. They might of lost money in the revenue department but they made sure the crowd helped them win the game.

Helps they played UTEP too. How would have that promo done versus Middle Tennessee?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Your missing the point. How would a promo have done vs UNM? I’m sure a lot more than the 6k we drew.

Maybe. Apples to Oranges. UNM was on a Tuesday. UNT was on Saturday in a place with a huge UTEP alumni base. I doubt there’s many Lobo alums here in EP.

UNT, UTSA, and Rice need promos for almost any game. UTEP is a game they don’t need promos for.

Maybe. Apples to Oranges. UNM was on a Tuesday. UNT was on Saturday in a place with a huge UTEP alumni base. I doubt there’s many Lobo alums here in EP.

UNT, UTSA, and Rice need promos for almost any game. UTEP is a game they don’t need promos for.
I doubt the 60-80 fans we took is the reason why the attendance almost doubled from what they’re used to.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I doubt the 60-80 fans we took is the reason why the attendance almost doubled from what they’re used to.

Well my bad then. If I were UNT I wouldn’t run promos for UTEP games. Just like it would be dumb for UTEP to run promos for NMSU games.

Well my bad then. If I were UNT I wouldn’t run promos for UTEP games. Just like it would be dumb for UTEP to run promos for NMSU games.
You’re smart guy. The UTEP/UNT series is not the same as UTEP/NMSU.

I guess you have the same philosophy as Senter. If a “name” opponent is in town let’s raise prices and let the opponents brand sell tickets. How has that worked out?

If I were UNT, UTSA, and RICE I would run promotions for every time UTEP comes into town. I wouldn’t want the UT- El Paso fans out voicing our fans in our own arena.

maybe I am the only one that was encouraged by that second half? it looks to me as the team is starting to put the pieces together and each player is finally starting to understand their roles a bit better.... maybe I am way off base.... the second half of the past three games has shown flashes

maybe I am the only one that was encouraged by that second half? it looks to me as the team is starting to put the pieces together and each player is finally starting to understand their roles a bit better.... maybe I am way off base.... the second half of the past three games has shown flashes
I agree.

You’re smart guy. The UTEP/UNT series is not the same as UTEP/NMSU.

I guess you have the same philosophy as Senter. If a “name” opponent is in town let’s raise prices and let the opponents brand sell tickets. How has that worked out?

If I were UNT, UTSA, and RICE I would run promotions for every time UTEP comes into town. I wouldn’t want the UT- El Paso fans out voicing our fans in our own arena.

Just saying you will get a bump when playing UTEP, you won’t get a bump playing a crappy MTSU team. Need a gimmick to get some extra fans for days like that.

You’re right, I do believe in charging more for “name” opponents for single game buyers. Season ticket holders should be charged the same price for every game.

However, Senter’s idea of a “name” opponent is NMSU, UNM, and LaTech. If North Carolina visited the DHC I would expect to see higher priced tickets and deservedly so. Not for regional rivals and CUSA foes.

Of course, UNT doesn't get called for the charge! Williams was just standing his ground! BS REFS, COME ON!
I haven't read all the comments but there were two of these calls by an inept ref who doesn't know the difference between a block and offensive foul, player control, charge whatever. CRT should have taken a chunk out of that refs but. He should have at least gotten a technical or been run because you can't allow an inept ref to continue reffing in any league. He should call the league office and have them review those two calls.

I haven't read all the comments but there were two of these calls by an inept ref who doesn't know the difference between a block and offensive foul, player control, charge whatever. CRT should have taken a chunk out of that refs but. He should have at least gotten a technical or been run because you can't allow an inept ref to continue reffing in any league. He should call the league office and have them review those two calls.

"During the game, what determines where you are on the court?
You have a referee, umpire one and umpire two. So the referee, usually before the game, initiates discussion and is usually the more experienced of the three. But once the game starts, everybody’s on an equal footing as far as responsibilities go. If there’s any final decisions, the referee, with the information from his partners, might address that situation with the coaches. But once you’re on the court, all three guys are fully as important."

And if it is UTEP, hit the T a few times and shut him up. I would bet UTEP basketball coaches have more T's than any other coaches within the past few years.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/whats-it-being-ncaa-basketball-referee

I remember there was one ref in particular who would never toss coach Haskins. He knew the Bear chose his spots carefully to get run. Not a lot of coaches have that ability these days. Of course Haskins would get tossed to light a fire under his team and to manipulate the officials. But this one guy got wise and wouldn't toss the Bear almost to no end. If the Bear every started to growl, the guy would just walk away and leave Haskins yelling insults at him until he was red in the face.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT