ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs La Tech

I like the Onyema/Sibley combo with our guards. Onyema just needs to work on positioning. Implement some pick and role and Onyema could destroy the paint.

I think Onyema has earned a little more playing time. He's looked better than in the past and held his own against Lofton.

It’s really difficult to judge whether we’ve gotten better or not as a team at this point. Not enough continuity with all the injuries and illness.

When was the last time we saw our true 8-9 deep? I hope everybody is healthy by mid conference and they peak right at the end of the season.

I think we were lucky to get that Middle Tennessee game cancelled or we would be 0-3 in conference. We really need Kennedy back. Boum looked nonchalant tonight. Tydus was bad most of the game, played tough for 5 minutes, then went back to being bad. Play. Onyema. More.
Kennedy out for awhile. Hope go see others step up.

Reactions: picks up
Not good when 1 player scores half your total points. Why does it seem every school we play has set up outside shooters and we can't throw it in the ocean?

Last edited:
Not good when 1 player scores half your total points. Why does it seem every school we play has set up outside shooters and we can't trow it in an ocean?
I have been saying that forever but everyone kept telling me I was wrong we had great talent on the team 🙄

That was some of the best defense I have seen by a UTEP squad. That was some of the worst offense I have ever seen by a UTEP squad, period.

"They came out and whipped our butt in the first half, I was embarrassed by our first-half effort," coach Joe Golding said."-EPTimes.com

Coach G, start the Big O! He is way, way too strong to keep him on the bench. TD and Kalu are just foul machines every damn game so why not start him instead so you don't have to play you best poker hand by the ten minute point in the first half due to big man foul trouble? Lofton shoves around a lot of people, Oneyma was shoving him around and made him mad (Oneyma was at the wrong end of a crucial foul call as Lofton, Jr shoved him first during a fast break for example). Kalu and Tydus were horrid last night. Bienemy had every right to rip those two a new one for not being ready for the entry passes in the first half.

In the end give La Tech credit, they shut down Boum and UTEP shut Lofton, Jr.. Lofton only had five earned points, the remainder were scrap points in the end. Kennedy and Agnew would have made no difference at all, the outcome would have been the same.

I missed it. What was Golding’s comment?
“They came out and whipped our butts in the first half. I was embarrassed by our first half effort,” Golding said. “We just had some guys that didn’t compete and we had a lot entitlement.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesarabia
“They came out and whipped our butts in the first half. I was embarrassed by our first half effort,” Golding said. “We just had some guys that didn’t compete and we had a lot entitlement.
Who’s up for taking a stab at who “some guys” were that didn’t compete and are entitled?

Boum? Saterfield? Maring?

Question for the younger crowd here. Do they still teach tic-tac-toe in elementary school? Seems like no one knows how to play that game anymore. 😂

I have had serious discussions with elementary PE teachers about conditioning and coordination. Teaching that to little kids is a lost art. It's either the kid gets it or they don't. If they don't, too bad, keep trying until you get it or give up. You can usually tell which kids go to which elementary because they have a good grasp of the basics, from their PE coach or parent/guardian that works with them. I spend a lot of time working on foot/leg coordination with my CYO kids (soccer and basketball), because they don't do stuff like that in PE. When I break out the agility ladder most kids don't know what to do.
Also, basketball has changed, the number one option to score is the corner 3 now, even on a fast break. You don't need fancy footwork to score from there.

Who’s up for taking a stab at who “some guys” were that didn’t compete and are entitled?

Boum? Saterfield? Maring?
Ummmm Boum?

I dont want to judge a book by its cover, but Boum has always looked like he plays lackadaisical to me. It just seems like there is so much there if he would only progress his game and play like he has a purpose within the team concept.

I have had serious discussions with elementary PE teachers about conditioning and coordination. Teaching that to little kids is a lost art. It's either the kid gets it or they don't. If they don't, too bad, keep trying until you get it or give up. You can usually tell which kids go to which elementary because they have a good grasp of the basics, from their PE coach or parent/guardian that works with them. I spend a lot of time working on foot/leg coordination with my CYO kids (soccer and basketball), because they don't do stuff like that in PE. When I break out the agility ladder most kids don't know what to do.
Also, basketball has changed, the number one option to score is the corner 3 now, even on a fast break. You don't need fancy footwork to score from there.
For those wondering why I asked this question, during a timeout at the game, UTEP runs a contest between two people where they must first make a layup, then run to center court and lay either their X or O on the mat, until someone wins. It amazes me that: 1. Hardly anyone lays their first piece in the center square. 2. Most don't recognize how to block their opponent from winning. 3. Most don't recognize they're one move away from winning the game. Such a simple game that today's youth no longer seem able to play. :rolleyes:

For those wondering why I asked this question, during a timeout at the game, UTEP runs a contest between two people where they must first make a layup, then run to center court and lay either their X or O on the mat, until someone wins. It amazes me that: 1. Hardly anyone lays their first piece in the center square. 2. Most don't recognize how to block their opponent from winning. 3. Most don't recognize they're one move away from winning the game. Such a simple game that today's youth no longer seem able to play. :rolleyes:
What % of people can even point out where they live on a map, let alone take 5 minutes to learn the idiosyncrasies of TTT 🤣?

Reactions: Dmanminer
Ummmm Boum?

I dont want to judge a book by its cover, but Boum has always looked like he plays lackadaisical to me. It just seems like there is so much there if he would only progress his game and play like he has a purpose within the team concept.
He all so often gets a pass because he can score, but I agree, Boum seems like a me guy before he’s a team guy.

I think CRT was fine with it, but it doesn’t work for Golding. Entitlement seems accurate. It’ll probably be a hard habit to break at this point in his career. Actually more of a mindset than a habit.

Ummmm Boum?

I don't think Golding was referring to Boum. If so, I don't think he would have played him 39 minutes. I think the injuries and illness have had an impact on Boum; but probably more importantly, opposing coaches have keyed on Boum defensively. Looking at the roster, if you can limit Boum, who else can score? Last night, Bieniemy was hot, but how often will that happen?

If I were to speculate, I would say Golding was referring to Kalu. I saw Golding get into him pretty good on the sideline, and I don't think Kalu played another minute. There are other candidates, but that is who I would go with for starters. My next candidate would be Maring.

Last edited:
He all so often gets a pass because he can score, but I agree, Boum seems like a me guy before he’s a team guy.

I think CRT was fine with it, but it doesn’t work for Golding. Entitlement seems accurate. It’ll probably be a hard habit to break at this point in his career. Actually more of a mindset than a habit.
The new era of college athletics. One and dones, transfer portal, NILs. Glory Road is all but extinct.

Whatever got into JB last night please give us some more. We are seeing explosive games from JB and Kennedy. Throw in a more confident Satterfield in there with Boum and our backcourt has really good potential if they can just come together and be more consistent. Throw in Agnew and maybe eventually Evans and we should be good. Golding and staff just need to secure the PG of the future (Lewis??) and we are staggered well.

We are young up front. We know what Tydus brings, but I think we can all agree that he needs to play next to a scoring forward so he can rebound and focus on D. I say play the young guys now and let them get experience for the conference tourney and next year. Play Onyema and Sibley. They have the highest ceiling. Get some pick and roll going with JB and Kennedy and let these guys rim run a bit. Hollins has been a dud and Maring is big bodied but needs more time. Kalu needs a kick in the rear. He IS very athletic, but for some reason is scared to use it. Power up or step aside.

I don't think Golding was referring to Boum. If so, I don't think he would have played him 39 minutes. I think the injuries and illness have had an impact on Boum; but probably more importantly, opposing coaches have keyed on Boum defensively. Looking at the roster, if you can limit Boum, who else can score? Last night, Bieniemy was hot, but how often will that happen?

If I were to speculate, I would say Golding was referring to Kalu. I saw Golding get into him pretty good on the sideline, and I don't think Kalu played another minute. There are other candidates, but that is who I would go with for starters.
Good points.

Golding did say guys, plural. Who else do you think he was referring to?

Also, did Kalu attempt another shot going up weak early in the game? Effort might an issue with him but can’t see the entitlement part.

You don’t think he was referring to Boum with the entitlement part?

Golding did say guys, plural. Who else do you think he was referring to?

Also, did Kalu attempt another shot going up weak early in the game? Effort might an issue with him but can’t see the entitlement part.

You don’t think he was referring to Boum with the entitlement part?
I would guess Maring as well. He mentioned guys taking shots, but not getting back defensively. Perhaps the entitlement comment was meant for Kalu, who was a starter. Golding specifically mentioned Boum and JB for their defensive effort, so I don't think he was displeased with those guys. Again, I think Boum playing so many minutes is an issue, because he generally gives a solid effort defensively, and he wears down. That's one of the areas we really miss Kennedy.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

If I were to speculate, I would say Golding was referring to Kalu. I saw Golding get into him pretty good on the sideline, and I don't think Kalu played another minute. There are other candidates, but that is who I would go with for starters. My next candidate would be Maring.
Fair enough, but Boum missed PLENTY of open shots and passed up many opportunities for entry passes...again. I have felt this way about Boum for along while. Yes he is our leading scorer and gets the most minutes, but I have never seen him as a leader or go to guy in winning time. It is what it is. He is what we have and it's Golding's first year so he will go with it.

Boum missed 2 free throws and never got back to the line yesterday. He just kept shooting even though he was having a bad night. This is the epitome of Boum (even if not entitled).

If it was Kalu or Maring that Golding was referring too then I hope it leads to more Onyema.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT