ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs La Tech

For those wondering why I asked this question, during a timeout at the game, UTEP runs a contest between two people where they must first make a layup, then run to center court and lay either their X or O on the mat, until someone wins. It amazes me that: 1. Hardly anyone lays their first piece in the center square. 2. Most don't recognize how to block their opponent from winning. 3. Most don't recognize they're one move away from winning the game. Such a simple game that today's youth no longer seem able to play. :rolleyes:
I was streaming a game last month and saw something similar. The girl playing 'X' was one square away from winning. 'O' made a shot, came to the center court, and did not block her! 'X' won on the next shot. I couldn't believe the stupidity.

As far as the center square goes, it's actually a much better strategy to start in one of the corners. You're opponent will usually then take the center square, at which point you should take the opposite corner. Most times your opponent will take one of the two open corners (unless they're smart). Place your 'X' in the remaining corner to block and you've won, as you have two ways to win and your opponent can only block one of them.

Of course winning at tic-tic-toe requires your opponent to be either stupid or to make a mistake. A game of tic-tac-toe between two careful, intelligent players will always end in a draw.

It's a sad state of affairs when discussing tic-tac-toe is more interesting than writing about Miner Basketball. :-(

• Haha
Reactions: TxRdKiller
Fair enough, but Boum missed PLENTY of open shots and passed up many opportunities for entry passes...again. I have felt this way about Boum for along while. Yes he is our leading scorer and gets the most minutes, but I have never seen him as a leader or go to guy in winning time. It is what it is. He is what we have and it's Golding's first year so he will go with it.

Boum missed 2 free throws and never got back to the line yesterday. He just kept shooting even though he was having a bad night. This is the epitome of Boum (even if not entitled).

If it was Kalu or Maring that Golding was referring too then I hope it leads to more Onyema.
Yep. Boum's first, second, and third instinct is to score. He is not a guy who is going to look and find the open man. He did miss open shots, but good defense can do that (sounds odd). La Tech has good athletes that guard well without fouling, and they come at you in waves on the perimeter. Without ANY inside presence, it really makes it tough. We shot 5 free-throws the whole game. Five. At home no less. Honestly, I was surprised we were able to make the run to cut it to seven, but I do give the team credit for continuing to fight.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Fair enough, but Boum missed PLENTY of open shots and passed up many opportunities for entry passes...again. I have felt this way about Boum for along while. Yes he is our leading scorer and gets the most minutes, but I have never seen him as a leader or go to guy in winning time. It is what it is. He is what we have and it's Golding's first year so he will go with it.

Boum missed 2 free throws and never got back to the line yesterday. He just kept shooting even though he was having a bad night. This is the epitome of Boum (even if not entitled).

If it was Kalu or Maring that Golding was referring too then I hope it leads to more Onyema.

I too think it was more Kalu and Maring. Kalu is playing way too soft. How many times every game do we see this shot blocked? And Maring? There's a reason he was at Blinn despite being 6'10", 240. He plays lazily on defense and is still throwing up 3s and I'll never understand why. He's no Dirk Nowitski who can shoot from anywhere on the court.

Z played well and I hope we see more of him and less of Maring and Kalu. I actually think Kalu will develop. He's young and playing like it. But there's something in his play that makes me believe he will become a stronger player in the next year or two. Of course, he may be elsewhere by then. Maring may be playing at his peak already. I don't see much development potential there.

How much are the cheapest to the expensive tickets? How do you pay for parking? (not the private lots).

Dude, you have the most active local sports forum in all of El Paso and argumentatively one of the most active sports forum sites in CUSA. Fans, boosters, ticket holders, local coaches, local sports, music celebrities, politicians are on here, national sports pod casts read the stuff on here. They don't post on here like they did during the Price and Billy days but they do read the stuff on here, as does UTEP sports staff and players and you tweet that crapola?!

Dude, you have the most active local sports forum in all of El Paso and argumentatively one of the most active sports forum sites in CUSA. Fans, boosters, ticket holders, local coaches, local sports, music celebrities, politicians are on here, national sports pod casts read the stuff on here. They don't post on here like they did during the Price and Billy days but they do read the stuff on here, as does UTEP sports staff and players and you tweet that crapola?!
Took myself and 4 other people to a game earlier this year. Spend like $260 for gold seats. I think over the length of a season it would add up to more than season tickets. How does that make sense?

Reactions: Lil_Train
Took myself and 4 other people to a game earlier this year. Spend like $260 for gold seats. I think over the length of a season it would add up to more than season tickets. How does that make sense?
I think that's the incentive to buy season tickets instead of individual tickets. The cheapest tickets are like $18. That's probably the difference between the crowds we're getting now of 3-4k as opposed to the regular crowds we used to get of 6k+. Imo they are a bit overpriced.

Reactions: Dmanminer

Stop blaming fans!

I'm worried that Tydus has a back injury. Would love to see him put some mojo on Junior. This game should be telling by how many minutes he plays.
I was noticing yesterday during the game that he seemed to be wincing quite a bit and a couple of times when he got on the floor, he looked like me trying to get up. IMHO, he definitely looks to be dealing with a back injury.

Stop blaming fans!
Where are the students? I know the semester hasn’t started yet, but UTEP is a commuter school. You can’t say all of them went home for the holidays. They pay a student activity fee in their tuition, but don’t use their privilege for free tickets.

Where are the students? I know the semester hasn’t started yet, but UTEP is a commuter school. You can’t say all of them went home for the holidays. They pay a student activity fee in their tuition, but don’t use their privilege for free tickets.
aside from the die hards who are at every game less students between semesters is a common thing.
Splitting the student section also didn't have a good effect

Reactions: picks up
I know these games have been so frustrating for us but I haven’t given up on the season…yet. Golding is dealing with the realities that many of us are going through right now. I can’t remember the last time that I had my entire staff together at work and I know that my team isn’t performing the way that we can but are doing the best that we can. With that said, I have seen a lot of upside with his coaching and have seen the improvement in Kennedy and Bienemey this season to make a believer out of me. It is very evident that the loss of Williams was significant but we all knew that going into the season. Call me an eternal optimist, but I am willing to bet, if we can get our guys healthy and back playing together with some consistency, we can do something shocking in the conference tournament. We have seen what Boum, Kennedy and Bienemy can do…now all we need is for them to do that together and who knows…

How much are season tix these days? That seems a bit high at slightly more than $50 per ticket but I say that cautiously as I'd pay that depending on, well, several factors.

Hope you all had fun.

How much are season tix these days? That seems a bit high at slightly more than $50 per ticket but I say that cautiously as I'd pay that depending on, well, several factors.

Hope you all had fun.
I would say about $800 each. Comes to more for season tickets, but not too far off.

aside from the die hards who are at every game less students between semesters is a common thing.
Splitting the student section also didn't have a good effect
I agree splitting the student section was an idiotic decision (Senter?) But the lack of student participation over the years has been evident.

Reactions: MinerFan79

THIS! Well said Axing!

It's the 1st season and he's been snake bitten by injuries and illness. I doubt it. Stop overreacting! It's the 1st year this was expected besides the sickness and injuries!
And I think he is realizing the untapped ability of Oneyma. I see a budding star rising on Glory Road and this young man has all the potential to be our next legendary big man UTEP fans have not seen in years, not just good or warrior style attributes like Tofi, Bo or Cedric Lang, but legendary like a Caracter, Dave "The Cheese" Feitl or Antonio Davis who just didn't contribute stats but delivered the game. I don't know if he can be another "Bad News" because he was in another stratosphere.

Last edited:
And I think he is realizing the untapped ability of Oneyma. I see a budding star rising on Glory Road and this young man has all the potential to our be next legendary big man UTEP fans have not seen in years, not just good or warrior style attributes like Tofi, Bo or Cedric Lang, but legendary like a Caracter, Dave "The Cheese" Feitl or Antonio Davis who just didn't contribute stats but delivered the game. I don't know if he can be another "Bad News" because he was in another stratosphere.

Onyema's potential is sky high. I don't think we really know just how amazing he can be. His flashes on the court certainly leaves us all wanting more and I hope Golding is the right coach to help Z reach his potential.

Onyema's potential is sky high. I don't think we really know just how amazing he can be. His flashes on the court certainly leaves us all wanting more and I hope Golding is the right coach to help Z reach his potential.
Bingo!

Think Tchatchoua from Baylor

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT