ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP's Defensive Coordinator(Tom Mason) has now given up 124 points against last 2 Option Teams.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
UTEP's Defensive Coordinator(Tom Mason) has played against 2 Option Teams in the past 11 months and those 2 Option Teams have scored a combined 124 points! Air Force scored 58 points against Mason's Hawaii team at the end of last season. Then tonight, Army scored 66 points and they did not punt during the entire game. 124 points in only 2 games. I am going to go out on a limb and say that Mason has not been the most effective Coach at getting his teams ready for the Option recently. Kugler might want to find him some help for when we have to prepare again for Army next season.

Speaking of next season, with Road Games at Oklahoma, Army, and NMSU, and then only one Home Game against Arizona, it is entirely possible that UTEP could go 0-4 in our non-conference next season.

Last edited:
I've noticed a certain pattern with UH coaches that I never hear about with UTEP coaches.

UH coaches are not shy about consulting with other coaches to prepare for an upcoming game or specific scheme. Nor are they overly protective about sharing information that led to their previous successes either.

Herman regularly consults with Urban Meyer and vice versa. Herman was actually the consultant to Saban after Ohio state rocked Bama a couple years ago. Herman looks for ways to improve as a coach and will learn from anyone who is willing to teach.

Seems to me Mason should've gotten together with Orlando, UH's defensive coordinator before the Army game. Orlando is a wizard on that side of the ball. He drew up a defensive plan that held that Navy triple option team that averaged over 300 yards rushing a game to just under 150 last year. He had plenty of previous run ins with that style of offense when he coached at Utah St and regularly played the AFA.

For whatever reason, I hear about the sharing UH takes part in within the coaching fraternity. I never hear about it with UTEP coaches. Or am I just missing it?

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Maybe coordinators should switch jobs!!! Pease knows how to hold an offense from moving the ball and scoring!!! Conversely Mason knows how to gain so many yards and points!!! \m/:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPfan1966
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT