ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP's football newcomers really so talented?

HeWore62

All Star
Apr 18, 2018
Head Football Coach Dana Dimel on his radio show mentioned he was impressed with the talent level and game-readiness of the newcomers to UTEP roster. He clicked off the names of seven kids who could contribute early this season. It is a familiar theme.

Remembered Dimel quote as he was leaving the field after the final Camp Ruidoso scrimmage: "This is the best group of incoming players I have ever been around."

Ever been around.

Tumble that over in your head. This from a guy who has coached Power 5 outfits to bowl victories, so we're not talking about a brash young pop-off.

He was pointing, of course, to QB Locksley et al, but the most proven quantity among the newcomers is his own son, the all-Big 12 fullback Winston Dimel, who transferred from Kansas State. Look across the nation. Name one other "recruit" with more proven capabilities and more portfolio who could make a bigger impact, right away.

True, no coach is going to say "man, I had no idea we made so recruiting mistakes. What a bunch of rag knots." Flip side: Dimel the elder has been around coaching long enough to know that raising expectations can be risky. Bragging on your bird dogs before the end of the hunt could lead to a trap door.

The more you brag on your roster, the deeper the public disappointment if those kids fail. I got the sense, however, Dimel and staff have been surprised -- pleasantly so -- by the many of the new roster additions.

Jolly good, I say. After a 0-12 finish last season, different is more gooder.

Reactions: paydirtpetetatt7
Can Locksley be his Josh Freeman? Perhaps. But he will not garner the pub Freeman got at K State. Freeman gave defenses absolute fits and Colin Kaepernick did as well running a similar offense at Nevada. Dimel's son has NFL blocking back all over him and is one of the best in college football. UTEP has some good blocking backs but Dimel is load to bring down for short yardage or goal line. Dimel had Tyler Lockett (who had a good NFL career). Let's be honest, there's no one on this UTEP WR roster who can compare to Lockett. KState had some good linebackers during his stint in Manhattan, so he was around that too. All in all, he is putting some sugar on the situation but with Trace,A.J. Hotchkins who brings a higher motor, Locksley/Metz QB combo, Dimel at FB and a plethora of stable RB's, a good, not great, but good O line and a killer secondary, I think he is not full of it either.

As fans we saw from out seats that if UTEP got two touchdowns behind middle in the third, it was over. The offense was limp, the defense would be tired from being on the field so long after doing 17 hour shifts and the assistant coaches called the same play, over and over and over, and over; It became a mental grind.

Can Locksley be his Josh Freeman? Perhaps. But he will not garner the pub Freeman got at K State. Freeman gave defenses absolute fits and Colin Kaepernick did as well running a similar offense at Nevada. Dimel's son has NFL blocking back all over him and is one of the best in college football. UTEP has some good blocking backs but Dimel is load to bring down for short yardage or goal line. Dimel had Tyler Lockett (who had a good NFL career). Let's be honest, there's no one on this UTEP WR roster who can compare to Lockett. KState had some good linebackers during his stint in Manhattan, so he was around that too. All in all, he is putting some sugar on the situation but with Trace,A.J. Hotchkins who brings a higher motor, Locksley/Metz QB combo, Dimel at FB and a plethora of stable RB's, a good, not great, but good O line and a killer secondary, I think he is not full of it either.

As fans we saw from out seats that if UTEP got two touchdowns behind middle in the third, it was over. The offense was limp, the defense would be tired from being on the field so long after doing 17 hour shifts and the assistant coaches called the same play, over and over and over, and over; It became a mental grind.

Locksley has a long way to go. The same issues he had at UT-Austin have reappeared at UTEP. He doesn't have a command of the offense. He struggles making progressions. His footwork needs work. He could be a good but he has to make that decision. He certainly hasn't taken the job from Metz at this point.

Locksley has a long way to go. The same issues he had at UT-Austin have reappeared at UTEP. He doesn't have a command of the offense. He struggles making progressions. His footwork needs work. He could be a good but he has to make that decision. He certainly hasn't taken the job from Metz at this point.

Dimel pretty much said he was going with a two headed monster and it's nothing new to him since he did at K State.

But his footwork needs work? That is concerning for an athlete like him.

But his footwork needs work? That is concerning for an athlete like him.[/QUOTE]

His mechanics are a mess. Fernandes is the most fundamentally sound qb on the roster.

It looks like we might have lost our first player from Dimel’s first recruiting class. Cameron Cooper is no longer listed on the roster. He was a true freshman o-lineman from Colorado.

I find it hard to believe that Locksley a former 4 star recruit that had the blue bloods of college football fighting for him is behind two qbs that had no other FBS offers out of HS.

I don’t understand how a guy that threw for 1,500 yards and 11 tds his senior year is ahead of the NJCAA offensive player of the year. Kai passed for 2,238 yards and 20 touchdowns. He also rushed for 705 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Is the competition really that much better in Texas high school football over junior college?

I find it hard to believe that Locksley a former 4 star recruit that had the blue bloods of college football fighting for him is behind two qbs that had no other FBS offers out of HS.

I don’t understand how a guy that threw for 1,500 yards and 11 tds his senior year is ahead of the NJCAA offensive player of the year. Kai passed for 2,238 yards and 20 touchdowns. He also rushed for 705 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Is the competition really that much better in Texas high school football over junior college?
There are a lot of guys that can get it done in practice and then shrink when the lights come on. I hope that Locksley is the kind of guy that rises to the occasion.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I could be totally wrong and hope I am but I really think everyone is going to be disappointed in our offense ..

Wasn’t Lamaison NJCAA POY also? Doesn’t mean anything. Locksley is blessed with a big arm and is a great athlete but the job should be Metzs’. Metz has better mechanics, is more accurate with a good arm of his own, is athletic in his own right, and has command of the offense. I’ve said this in the past but I think his mental toughness kept him in a sort of doghouse with Kugler. He’s game tested, and grown into the position. and If the coaching staff let him air it out I think he can lead us to a winning season. And when I say air it out, I don’t mean a bubble screen or hitch route. If I never hear Teicher utter the words, “throws a hitch route” ever again, I can die a happy man.

We’ll see when the season starts and whoever gets majority of the snaps will predicate our offense. Metz = more balanced offense, Locksley = run dominant.

Dimel needs to stop pussyfooting around and name a starter. If he promised the job to Locksley in recruiting...well that was stupid. He has not done anything to stand out and win the job. Metz has been the clear cut choice since spring.

Reactions: HeWore62
Part of me hopes they just name a starting QB this week, just so they can get a full week of practices before the season starts. The Miners need to go into the NAU game and win, and win convincingly if possible. Personally I don’t want to see a situation where two ineffective Quarterbacks are rotating in and out and neither can gain any momentum. And meanwhile NAU is either keeping the game really close or pulling away.

Head Football Coach Dana Dimel on his radio show mentioned he was impressed with the talent level and game-readiness of the newcomers to UTEP roster. He clicked off the names of seven kids who could contribute early this season. It is a familiar theme.

Remembered Dimel quote as he was leaving the field after the final Camp Ruidoso scrimmage: "This is the best group of incoming players I have ever been around."

Ever been around.

Tumble that over in your head. This from a guy who has coached Power 5 outfits to bowl victories, so we're not talking about a brash young pop-off.

He was pointing, of course, to QB Locksley et al, but the most proven quantity among the newcomers is his own son, the all-Big 12 fullback Winston Dimel, who transferred from Kansas State. Look across the nation. Name one other "recruit" with more proven capabilities and more portfolio who could make a bigger impact, right away.

True, no coach is going to say "man, I had no idea we made so recruiting mistakes. What a bunch of rag knots." Flip side: Dimel the elder has been around coaching long enough to know that raising expectations can be risky. Bragging on your bird dogs before the end of the hunt could lead to a trap door.

The more you brag on your roster, the deeper the public disappointment if those kids fail. I got the sense, however, Dimel and staff have been surprised -- pleasantly so -- by the many of the new roster additions.

Jolly good, I say. After a 0-12 finish last season, different is more gooder.
I think he's trying to be upbeat and get the player's confidence up. Sometimes that's all you can do. Pump them up, have them play above themselves, and maybe you can get a 3 win season you could build on.

I just don't believe Lockley isn't the starter next Saturday. It's total bs that his mechanics and footwork are bad. To suggest that Metz has a "command" of the offense is ridiculous. This offense is new to all the QBs, but more familiar to Locksley. Coaches have to keep everyone interested and believing they will still have a shot at starting to keep up morale going into a brand new season where everything is different.
Laimason was a very good QB in juco. Our coaches sucked and it didn't help him at all. Not the same. Locksley played in a similar offense and will do well here.

Wasn’t Lamaison NJCAA POY also? Doesn’t mean anything. Locksley is blessed with a big arm and is a great athlete but the job should be Metzs’. Metz has better mechanics, is more accurate with a good arm of his own, is athletic in his own right, and has command of the offense. I’ve said this in the past but I think his mental toughness kept him in a sort of doghouse with Kugler. He’s game tested, and grown into the position. and If the coaching staff let him air it out I think he can lead us to a winning season. And when I say air it out, I don’t mean a bubble screen or hitch route. If I never hear Teicher utter the words, “throws a hitch route” ever again, I can die a happy man.

We’ll see when the season starts and whoever gets majority of the snaps will predicate our offense. Metz = more balanced offense, Locksley = run dominant.

Dimel needs to stop pussyfooting around and name a starter. If he promised the job to Locksley in recruiting...well that was stupid. He has not done anything to stand out and win the job. Metz has been the clear cut choice since spring.
Metz had a less than 50% completion percentage last season and more INT's than TD's. He was great in the game in 2015 vs NMSU and if he could play like that all the time he would do fine. I expect Locksley to be the QB with Brandon Jones eventually taking the number 2 spot.

No Lamaison wasn’t the NJCAA offensive player of the year. He was the California Community College Region 3 Offensive Player of the Year. I have no idea what that means but I’m guessing he was the best player in a certain region of California.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_community_college_football_programs

I think it does mean something since Lamaison sits just outside the top 10 in the UTEP football history books for most passing yards. He’s at #10 in overall TD’s. While he didn’t win a lot of games he did move the ball and put up points which is something we haven’t seen from a qb well since Lamaison.

I don’t see either one being able to air it out. We don’t have the talent at WR to create the separation needed. That’s not the type of offense Canales is known for. He prefers quick horizontal passes which is exactly what helped Kai complete at 66% in junior college last season.

I’m with you name Metz or Kai the starter already. Whoever CDD thinks will wins us more games. For one reason or another they’ll both see playing time and have to opportunity to take over the job.

My comment wasn’t in regard as to who should be the starter. It’s in response to @Minerforlife who claims the Fernandes kid is the best qb on the roster. Given that he didn’t have that great of a hs season compared to the collegiate experience Metz and Kai bring.

My comment wasn’t in regard as to who should be the starter. It’s in response to @Minerforlife who claims the Fernandes kid is the best qb on the roster. Given that he didn’t have that great of a hs season compared to the collegiate experience Metz and Kai bring.[/QUOTE]

My comment was that Fernandes has the best fundamentals. If you want a qb to stretch the defense and air it out, Fernandes is the best option. I dont know if he fits into Dimels ground and pound offense.

Having watched Locksley in 10 practices, I remain agnostic. Is he missing something in his game? Or, am I?
I feel the same way about Metz. Why does everyone love his game. He seems like a really good high school quarterback to me. I know where the ball is going every time he steps back.

I feel the same way about Metz. Why does everyone love his game. He seems like a really good high school quarterback to me. I know where the ball is going every time he steps back.

It's not about loving his game. I dont judge anything from last year that was a no win situation. He has a much better understanding and grasp of the offense than Locksley does. Metz is a good leader. After his freshman year I thought he was done as a qb. After the NMSU game he cracked under the pressure. Every game it got worse he just couldn't handle it when the lights came on. Alot of kids would have transferred Metz stayed and fought and made huge strides his Sophmore season. Last year it wouldn't have mattered who was QB.

You guys are enamored with Locksley because of JUCO numbers. He played on a very good jc team he rarely came off his first read and if that wasnt open he tucked it and ran.He had superior talent around him. His mechanics have never been great. At UT Austin he failed to put in the time in the film room to understand the offense. Metz clearly has a much better grasp of the offense than Locksley at this point. Last year half the CBS teams were QB poor. If Locksley was fundamentally sound he would have had alot more offers than just UTEP and NMSU. Hopefully he grasped the offense and learns to read defenses better. Just like anybody else I'm rooting the guy. However, at this point theres no doubt he's behind Metz. You could make an argument based on practices Locksley is number four right now.

NAU is about as close to must win opening games as a school will ever. When you hire Dimel, who no one ever thought would get a head coaching job in FBS again, you have no leash. Lose to NAU all good will goes down the drain.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I’m no QB coach, but if you watch at 1:50 you see his head moving back and forth as if he’s going through reads. And on top of it he avoided the pressure kept his eyes down field and made the play.

Reactions: OBRULE
It's not about loving his game. I dont judge anything from last year that was a no win situation. He has a much better understanding and grasp of the offense than Locksley does. Metz is a good leader. After his freshman year I thought he was done as a qb. After the NMSU game he cracked under the pressure. Every game it got worse he just couldn't handle it when the lights came on. Alot of kids would have transferred Metz stayed and fought and made huge strides his Sophmore season. Last year it wouldn't have mattered who was QB.

You guys are enamored with Locksley because of JUCO numbers. He played on a very good jc team he rarely came off his first read and if that wasnt open he tucked it and ran.He had superior talent around him. His mechanics have never been great. At UT Austin he failed to put in the time in the film room to understand the offense. Metz clearly has a much better grasp of the offense than Locksley at this point. Last year half the CBS teams were QB poor. If Locksley was fundamentally sound he would have had alot more offers than just UTEP and NMSU. Hopefully he grasped the offense and learns to read defenses better. Just like anybody else I'm rooting the guy. However, at this point theres no doubt he's behind Metz. You could make an argument based on practices Locksley is number four right now.

NAU is about as close to must win opening games as a school will ever. When you hire Dimel, who no one ever thought would get a head coaching job in FBS again, you have no leash. Lose to NAU all good will goes down the drain.

You may be insane!

Metz had a less than 50% completion percentage last season and more INT's than TD's. He was great in the game in 2015 vs NMSU and if he could play like that all the time he would do fine. I expect Locksley to be the QB with Brandon Jones eventually taking the number 2 spot.

He also had to deal with almost every time he went to throw the defense knowing he had to throw... that makes things tough!!

You are absolutely right about the NAU game being a must win. UTEP has never had a more important FCS game. Lot's of hype has raised expectations and if the team bombs in this game, attendance will suffer greatly.

A couple of months ago NAU was said to be favored by 8 points. Now, one odds site has UTEP by 9. I would gladly take that but hoping for a more lopsided win by the Miners to get things going.

My comment wasn’t in regard as to who should be the starter. It’s in response to @Minerforlife who claims the Fernandes kid is the best qb on the roster. Given that he didn’t have that great of a hs season compared to the collegiate experience Metz and Kai bring.

My comment was that Fernandes has the best fundamentals. If you want a qb to stretch the defense and air it out, Fernandes is the best option. I dont know if he fits into Dimels ground and pound offense.[/QUOTE]
I don't know why you insist on calling Dimel's offense "ground and pound" when a cursory look at KSU's offense for Dimel's 9 years as OC shows a very balanced offense. Out of the 9 years there were 4 when there were more passing yards and 5 had more running yards but never really far from being balanced.

I haven't seen Locksley practice or play. I have seen his numbers from JC last year and I know he was the offensive POY for a reason. I understand that he is not pro-style and will likely never play QB above the D1 level, but that doesn't necessarily matter when trying to win at UTEP. That being said, Locksley didn't start at his JC initially, but once they put him in the game his talent was clear. I understand the competition talent level was less, but I'm hoping he will do the same at UTEP. Locksley is smart in hearing him speak. It seems that he has turned his mentality around, but he is still trying to catch up. Metz will help him.

I've always rooted for Metz. Its been tough for him in Kuglers offense. Some could even say we have never seen what Metz can do since taking over against NMSU (when the rumor was he called his own plays?). He is smart too. He always gives 100% effort, even at times to his detriment. He is also hard on himself and second guesses a lot. He may be playing to not make mistakes. Most coaches want guys that don't make mistakes, but they also want playmakers. It may just come down to that.

I'm sure both will play (and either could get hurt), but the first time Locksley starts to light things up then Metz can start looking forward to his coaching career.

I’m fine with who ever produces wins.
Metz cause of his roots and putting up with the past coaches.
Locksley cause he choose to come and right this ship.
JUST A FEW MIRE DAYS TILL KICKOFF.
GO MINERS!!!!

It’s kind of cliche, but some guys are just game time players. I think Locksley is that kind of guy. As was pointed out, he wasn’t even the starter on his JC team until his brother died and his teammate, in kind gesture, handed KL the start. Locksley never looked back after that, and proceeded to put up some impressive numbers. It may not always be pretty, but Locksley knows how to win. I do think Metz and KL will see the field, and maybe even another QB or two will also, but I think we find most of our success with Locksley under center.

And this is not to diminish Metz’s ability because I do think he’ll play a crucial role as well.

It’s kind of cliche, but some guys are just game time players. I think Locksley is that kind of guy. As was pointed out, he wasn’t even the starter on his JC team until his brother died and his teammate, in kind gesture, handed KL the start. Locksley never looked back after that, and proceeded to put up some impressive numbers. It may not always be pretty, but Locksley knows how to win. I do think Metz and KL will see the field, and maybe even another QB or two will also, but I think we find most of our success with Locksley under center.

And this is not to diminish Metz’s ability because I do think he’ll play a crucial role as well.

I would like to say that "every player matters" its a team sport where the offense line must block and defense must hold ...
from Hollywood ... got my UTEP season tickets and just bought 14 tickets to see the UNLV game ... see ya there for a big victory...

I would like to say that "every player matters" its a team sport where the offense line must block and defense must hold ...
from Hollywood ... got my UTEP season tickets and just bought 14 tickets to see the UNLV game ... see ya there for a big victory...

I completely agree. However, I was talking specifically about the QB situation, where roles will differ and degree of on-field contribution will vary.

Wish I COULD go to Vegas. Enjoy and consider yourself fortunate to be able to represent.

Looks like true freshman Zuri Henry 6'5" 280lbs is rotating in with the first team O-line at LT. I wonder if Long is being pushed or maybe moved to RT? Also Misaalefua is rotating in with the #1s at NT. He is listed at 6'2" 335 lbs, but may be more like 360+. IMO he will play a lot on early downs and goal line.

My comment was that Fernandes has the best fundamentals. If you want a qb to stretch the defense and air it out, Fernandes is the best option. I dont know if he fits into Dimels ground and pound offense.
I don't know why you insist on calling Dimel's offense "ground and pound" when a cursory look at KSU's offense for Dimel's 9 years as OC shows a very balanced offense. Out of the 9 years there were 4 when there were more passing yards and 5 had more running yards but never really far from being balanced.[/QUOTE]

It's a run based. It's got alot of similarities to what we saw the last five years. On paper Kugler's offenses seemed very balanced. I couldnt care less what kind of offense we run as long as we win.

Also Misaalefua is rotating in with the #1s at NT. He is listed at 6'2" 335 lbs, but may be more like 360+. IMO he will play a lot on early downs and goal line.
I can not recall a time when UTEP had a DL that was that big. I hope this kid works on keeping his stamina up to compliment that size, because this may be someone to watch down the road.

Read and tuck is pretty much the pistol/wildcat. Kugler ran it with the efficiency of a toddler making a fruit smoothie with mom's Ninja blender. I expect waaaaaaaaay better results from Dimel, but it's a new offense so expect mistakes.

Reactions: OBRULE and HeWore62
Read and tuck is pretty much the pistol/wildcat. Kugler ran it with the efficiency of a toddler making a fruit smoothie with mom's Ninja blender. I expect waaaaaaaaay better results from Dimel, but it's a new offense so expect mistakes.

It's funny because UH fans would give a similar description of Dimel's offense. That's what's remarkable we replaced an 0-12 coach with a coach who went 0-12 almost UAB'd Houston's program. Only at UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT