ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP's football newcomers really so talented?

It's funny because UH fans would give a similar description of Dimel's offense. That's what's remarkable we replaced an 0-12 coach with a coach who went 0-12 almost UAB'd Houston's program. Only at UTEP.

So, I’m guessing after two years you want him gone, like Houston?

UAB was a totally different situation in regards to them disbanding their football program. More political than product on the field some of their fans might say.

How did Art Briles do with Dimels two consecutive #1 recruiting classes in CUSA?

Briles could win with anyone he proved that at Baylor. He saved Houston football. Houston's success had absolutely nothing do to with Dimel.

Before he went to Stephenville High School they were always scheduled as the homecoming game. They were terrible. They became a state power won four state championships and developed as passionate a following as any in Texas high school football.

Houston was terrible and was mired in financial problems. Briles turned revived the program and created a perennial winner.

Baylor was an absolute F****** joke. Briles turned them into the best program in Texas and a national power. Which was completely unfathomable.

Last edited:
Briles could win with anyone he proved that at Baylor. He saved Houston football. Houston's success had absolutely nothing do to with Dimel
I get it. You aren't a Dimel fan. You seem to be negative towards him. What say you hold back and watch, eh?

So, I’m guessing after two years you want him gone, like Houston?

UAB was a totally different situation in regards to them disbanding their football program. More political than product on the field some of their fans might say.

We dont have the luxury to wait for Dimel to win. He has to win now. If he doesn't win immediately he wont win. That UH debacle is like an albatross around his neck. He loses all that comes up. The bigger problem is our current situationAs a result of years of poor decisions and management, we are in a very precarious situation. If UTSA and TX State get their shit together which they inevitably will, they are much more attractive to the MWC than UTEP. At that point welcome to Southland 2.0. It doesn't matter what Terry does. If we dont get football on track ASAP both revenue sports are f*****. I dont want to think about losing. I hope like hell this ends up being the greatest hire in UTEP history, because the alternative is unbearable.

I get it. You aren't a Dimel fan. You seem to be negative towards him. What say you hold back and watch, eh?

I'm a UTEP fan and I like to talk about UTEP football. I follow recruiting. In the fall I plan my life around the games. I follow the Miners all over the country. I like to talk Miner football. I like to analyze it and read others opinions. I hope like hell Dimel wins. I want nothing more than yo say this was greatest hire in UTEP history.

I don’t know how the Dimel hire will ultimately work out, but thus far I have been impressed with 3 things regarding him:

1.) When Dimel is not just doing his public coaches speak and when you hear him talk actual football, he appears to be a guy who is highly organized and has a really good understanding of how to run a program. I like hearing him talk about what he looks for when he puts the opponents film on and also hearing him talk about his recruiting evaluation philosophy. It’s all very detailed and structured. It has been 16 years since he was last a head coach at Houston. It is extremely likely that he has learned A LOT in the past 16 years. I know that I do my job better today than I did it 16 years ago(that’s the point of hiring experience), I am sure that you do your job better today than you did it 16 years ago, so why wouldn’t the same apply to Dimel. I also have comfort in the fact that Dimel has spent most of the past 16 years learning and working with a high quality coach like Snyder.

2.) This is Dimel’s first year and he has likely already produced UTEP’s best ever recruiting performance at this point in the season. Before this season, has UTEP ever had two 3 star prospects committed before we even played our first game? The fact is that Dimel beat out an SEC school(Arkansas) for a recruit before he even coached his first game at UTEP.

3.) Dimel has put together a really good and experienced staff. I am a bit cautious of the Canales hire, but outside of that, I really like all of the other experience that he put together with this staff and I really interested in seeing how Cox’s defense looks.

Last edited:
We dont have the luxury to wait for Dimel to win. He has to win now. If he doesn't win immediately he wont win.
So considering how low UTEP can pay for a HC, who could UTEP have hired that would have come on here and would win IMMEDIATELY??

The Houston situation was like 15 years ago. You make it seem like it was barely last season. He has learned under a good HC at K State that competes in the BIG 12 with less to work with than most schools in the Big 12. Dimel has also proven he can win as well....he never had a losing season at Wyoming.

Reactions: HeWore62
So considering how low UTEP can pay for a HC, who could UTEP have hired that would have come on here and would win IMMEDIATELY??

The Houston situation was like 15 years ago. You make it seem like it was barely last season. He has learned under a good HC at K State that competes in the BIG 12 with less to work with than most schools in the Big 12. Dimel has also proven he can win as well....he never had a losing season at Wyoming.

Low Pay? We're paying 700k that's not great but better than we had. Also if our priorities were in order. We wouldn't be throwing money into a basketball program in a one bid league. If we cut the bball salary to 400k cut a coaching position., cut the bball budget we could easily pay a football coach 1.2 to 1.5 million a year that will get you a decent coach.

As it was there were alot of young up and coming coaches interested. We could have had Sterling Gilbert or Kendall Briles. There were plenty of people who were interested. We're not a poor school.

The whole thing about about Dimel was in the context of replying to 2Step's comment about Kugler's which is absolutely correct. My only point is that UH fans feel the exact same way about Dimel's teams.Dimel is probably the most reviled ex coach in UH history. When ESPN used to run all those top ten list shows. They ranked the 2001 Cougars as the third worst team in the history of college football.

Even though initially I was not in support of the Dimel hire, I must say that many of the most die hard of UH fans acknowledge that had Dimel been given one more year, he’d have produced a pretty damn good team.

Sterling Gilbert???? He aint going to come in here and win immediately. He doesn't put us in any better position to win right away that Dimel.
Kendall Briles would have been good but no way in hell Natalicio would ok that hire.

While 700k is a raise from the salary of Kugler it’s still low. Only Lambert and Hopkins make less money than Dimel in CUSA. I expect Charlotte to spend big next year on their coaching hire. Which would make Dimel 13/14.

I’ve been saying this for years but we need to be paying a minimum of one million a year to show that we are serious about football. By now due to inflation it should be around 1.2-1.5 but I’ll still take 1 million.

With the exception of Bloomgren and Sanford none of the other million dollar coaches in CUSA started at one million. They had to prove themselves in the field first before getting a nice raise.

Littrell started at around 820k now he’s the highest paid coach in the conference at 1.4. Clarke started at 600k now he’s at 1. Wilson started at 650k and is scheduled to make 1.2 this season. Kiffin started at 950k he received a contract extension that puts him at 1.2. Davis started at 900k he’s at 1 now. Stockhill is the only other million dollar man in CUSA but he didn’t start at that 11 years ago.

If Dimel can win in the next few years then he’ll probably get a raise to around a million dollars. While that will seem like a lot of money compared to previous coaches we’ve had he’ll still be a middle of the pack in conference at best.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Guys, guys ... Miners one and all ... am really enjoying this vibrant exchange, but this thread was started with the newcomers and whether they are "really so talented?"

How did we veer into Dimel's resume, 18 years back?

Cam somebody get this thread back on topic? Or, better, start a new one?

Reactions: minerfan_14
Guys, guys ... Miners one and all ... am really enjoying this vibrant exchange, but this thread was started with the newcomers and whether they are "really so talented?"

How did we veer into Dimel's resume, 18 years back?

Cam somebody get this thread back on topic? Or, better, start a new one?

It's my fault, I apologize.

Read and tuck is pretty much the pistol/wildcat. Kugler ran it with the efficiency of a toddler making a fruit smoothie with mom's Ninja blender. I expect waaaaaaaaay better results from Dimel, but it's a new offense so expect mistakes.
You get a Freeman type qb under center for this kind of offense like K State had in 08 and 09, the head coach and OC get the love of a lotto winner in the hood. When you don't have one, it's getting love from only your mother.

Will see about Locksley. Metz for sure in the hell can't run and when doing the wildcat formation I hope Opie doesn't keep it and try to run. He'll be knocked out by the first quarter. Just give it to Wadley or Dimel and let them ground and pound.

Low Pay? We're paying 700k that's not great but better than we had. Also if our priorities were in order. We wouldn't be throwing money into a basketball program in a one bid league. If we cut the bball salary to 400k cut a coaching position., cut the bball budget we could easily pay a football coach 1.2 to 1.5 million a year that will get you a decent coach.

As it was there were alot of young up and coming coaches interested. We could have had Sterling Gilbert or Kendall Briles. There were plenty of people who were interested. We're not a poor school.

The whole thing about about Dimel was in the context of replying to 2Step's comment about Kugler's which is absolutely correct. My only point is that UH fans feel the exact same way about Dimel's teams.Dimel is probably the most reviled ex coach in UH history. When ESPN used to run all those top ten list shows. They ranked the 2001 Cougars as the third worst team in the history of college football.

You'd want to cut funding to a historically good program, and funnel it to a historically and consistent national bottom dweller program?

No offense, but I'm glad you're not running the show.

We're going to need more than just a 1.5mill coach to get this fb program going. And no matter what, we'll never so much as sniff at the chance for an NC or prestigious bowl. Just seems like a whole lot of money and effort to throw at a program who's destined for mediocrity at best.

As for bball:
- we've already proven we can recruit and win here.
- we don't need to throw unattainable amounts of money at it to win
- we only have to convince 13 good players to come here, instead of 50+
- we have the chance to play for an NC any year we make it to the tourney

The money should always go to the program that has the best chance of success

Everybody's calling our offense a 'wildcat' offense. It is not. It is a run/pas option (RPO) offense. The difference being that in the wildcat you use a running threat as your "quarterback". In the RPO or run/pass option, you're quaterback IS the running threat but with the option to handoff, throw or run of course. Quarterbacks in the rpo are true quaterbacks in the full sense of the word, not wild cats. Wildcat offenses don't throw often but rely on misdirection and novelty for success. We may run some wildcat during the season but our offense is much more modern and sophisticated than the 'wildcat'.

You'd want to cut funding to a historically good program, and funnel it to a historically and consistent national bottom dweller program?

No offense, but I'm glad you're not running the show.

We're going to need more than just a 1.5mill coach to get this fb program going. And no matter what, we'll never so much as sniff at the chance for an NC or prestigious bowl. Just seems like a whole lot of money and effort to throw at a program who's destined for mediocrity at best.

As for bball:
- we've already proven we can recruit and win here.
- we don't need to throw unattainable amounts of money at it to win
- we only have to convince 13 good players to come here, instead of 50+
- we have the chance to play for an NC any year we make it to the tourney

The money should always go to the program that has the best chance of success

At best with the hoops program you end up being NMSU. A perennial thorny team with a seed in the teens. That hasn't worked out so well for them.

We haven't proven we can compete. Our basketball tradition is highly inflated. Basketball is more stacked against non powers than football.

While we're chasing that 13 seed every year. UNT, UTSA and TXST will build football. They already have better markets. They put together a few winning season they go the MWC. We then get to play in a conference with Lamar,SHSU and SFA. Then we have a new group of fans to try to sell our inflated basketball tradition. As it is we're in a one bid league 27 or 28 wins only guaranteed you a four seed in the NIT. The only way to improve basketball is to improve football.

Throwing as much money as we do at hoops is the stupidest mismanagement of money I've ever seen. All that money has gotten us three tourney appearances in 25 years. Our basketball pedigree is currently less than that of SFA. That's a hell of return on investment.

Before anybody brings up the stupid idea of dropping football. If you drop football there are two conferences that would take us The WAC and maybe The Southland. Tell me how joining either of those leagues helps hoops.

Reactions: El Paso Is Great
Throwing as much money as we do at hoops is the stupidest mismanagement of money I've ever seen. All that money has gotten us three tourney appearances in 25 years. Our basketball pedigree is currently less than that of SFA. That's a hell of return on investment
I think we’ll see a better return on investment in a year or two

I think we’ll see a better return on investment in a year or two

That very well may be true. However, if football doesn't improve we continue to fall farther down the conference rung. In the end that hurts hoops as well. We can't take our programs to the next level until we have a successful football program.

At best with the hoops program you end up being NMSU. A perennial thorny team with a seed in the teens. That hasn't worked out so well for them.

We haven't proven we can compete. Our basketball tradition is highly inflated. Basketball is more stacked against non powers than football.

While we're chasing that 13 seed every year. UNT, UTSA and TXST will build football. They already have better markets. They put together a few winning season they go the MWC. We then get to play in a conference with Lamar,SHSU and SFA. Then we have a new group of fans to try to sell our inflated basketball tradition. As it is we're in a one bid league 27 or 28 wins only guaranteed you a four seed in the NIT. The only way to improve basketball is to improve football.

Throwing as much money as we do at hoops is the stupidest mismanagement of money I've ever seen. All that money has gotten us three tourney appearances in 25 years. Our basketball pedigree is currently less than that of SFA. That's a hell of return on investment.

Before anybody brings up the stupid idea of dropping football. If you drop football there are two conferences that would take us The WAC and maybe The Southland. Tell me how joining either of those leagues helps hoops.
I am now a believer that you are the biggest dumbass on this board. You continue to post stupid crap that has no merit. I guess you were friends with old staffers and hate the change.
Keep your idiotic comments to yourself. It's obvious to anyone with ANY knowledge of college sports we are headed in a better direction than before AND can compete quickly on a national stage in hoops IF recruits pan out. Comparing us the NMSU as the top we can go is flat out stupid. You know jackshit dude.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I am now a believer that you are the biggest dumbass on this board. You continue to post stupid crap that has no merit. I guess you were friends with old staffers and hate the change.
Keep your idiotic comments to yourself. It's obvious to anyone with ANY knowledge of college sports we are headed in a better direction than before AND can compete quickly on a national stage in hoops IF recruits pan out. Comparing us the NMSU as the top we can go is flat out stupid. You know jackshit dude.
He wanted Park as AD. Since Senter landed the job, everything Senter does is stupid/wrong according to Minerforlife.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point. You're the one who's happy with the status quo. What I would like to see is radical change. In C-USA you are never going to become a national power in basketball. It's a one bid league like the WAC. NMSU has become a perennial tourney team. It hasn't helped them find a conference home. If we could move into the MWC then we can talk about becoming nationally relevant in basketball. To move up in the conference packing we have to become a consistently winning program. For hoops to flourish football has to flourish first or at best you do become NMSU. Through years of mismanagement and poor decisions we've gotten to a critical point. We cant let our football program fall behind UTSA. UNT and Tx State. If that happens they will pass us by in conference affiliation. They already beat us on markets. If we dont invest and build a consistent winning football program, both revenue sports are f*****. We have to go all in on football which has never been done at UTEP. We went all in on hoops and it didnt work.

For the record I don't hate Senter. I fully support him. I'm glad we didnt hire Campos that would've been a disaster.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point. You're the one who's happy with the status quo. What I would like to see is radical change. In C-USA you are never going to become a national power in basketball. It's a one bid league like the WAC. NMSU has become a perennial tourney team. It hasn't helped them find a conference home. If we could move into the MWC then we can talk about becoming nationally relevant in basketball. To move up in the conference packing we have to become a consistently winning program. For hoops to flourish football has to flourish first or at best you do become NMSU. Through years of mismanagement and poor decisions we've gotten to a critical point. We cant let our football program fall behind UTSA. UNT and Tx State. If that happens they will pass us by in conference affiliation. They already beat us on markets. If we dont invest and build a consistent winning football program, both revenue sports are f*****. We have to go all in on football which has never been done at UTEP. We went all in on hoops and it didnt work.

For the record I don't hate Senter. I fully support him. I'm glad we didnt hire Campos that would've been a disaster.
Hopefully Campos f**ks shit up for UTSA. They were trendy upwards before her hire.

Reactions: Minerforlife
I would like to say that "every player matters" its a team sport where the offense line must block and defense must hold ...
from Hollywood ... got my UTEP season tickets and just bought 14 tickets to see the UNLV game ... see ya there for a big victory...
Driving up to Vegas too. Taking 4 or 6 guys. Miners, Vegas and Poker!

Reactions: UTEPfan1966

Winning cures many ills. I have hope. I actually like your posts. They're brutal and with no sugar coating and that is exactly what UTEP needs to hear, read and be made aware of and you have the bar high, where it should be. UTEP fans have the bar very high for basketball and rightly so and were ready to tar and feather Floyd in Cleveland Square. The same should be for football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT