ADVERTISEMENT

vila gets more minutes than Efe

Omg...can you let it lie. So a poster or two said Terry was going to be the next Texas coach and you have to bring it up in every thread. I’m all about an intelligent debate and to hear different opinions, but you are here to just ruffle feathers all of the time. Don’t you have something better in your life than to just piss off faceless people morning, noon and night? And that dear sir, is the definition of a troll....

Omg...can you let it lie. So a poster or two said Terry was going to be the next Texas coach and you have to bring it up in every thread. I’m all about an intelligent debate and to hear different opinions, but you are here to just ruffle feathers all of the time. Don’t you have something better in your life than to just piss off faceless people morning, noon and night? And that dear sir, is the definition of a troll....

How I see some trolls, here and on twitter. The mute/ignore option is a life saver
giphy.gif

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL

Much better to call them queer and make tamale jokes about their mom right?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Why are so many guys seemingly falling flat on their faces? A bunch of them have either regressed or have not come to fruition. Overrated, misuse, bad offense, poor rebounding? It seems to be a nice mixture.

I thought this team coming in was deep and athletic. Why are athletic guys crushing us then? Why are we not adjusting to it in game by changing sets or personnel?

Only Williams has been the one consistent. What happens when he leaves? I dont see a big plan in place. I dont see any big time recruits. I dont see any big time coaching prowess.

Something is wrong with Lathon. He pounds the ball on the court like he's ready to do something, and then just waves everybody off on offense like they dont know the play. He has shown zero control over the past few weeks. He literally gave the game away last night and Terry stuck with him.

These last couple of games have been bad. I don’t doubt this team has talent but this team has to play tougher.

From what I’ve seen, I cannot be convinced Tarke doesn’t belong on the court at least 20 minutes a game.

His defense was more than adequate as he guarded the 2-4 last night. He rebounds with intent and as far as I can tell is maybe our most explosive player.

It’s not a talent issue that has him riding pine.

Did we all really think it was going to be that easy? We pluck a coach away, we steal their recruits, we get a bunch of transfers and everything just falls into place.

I knew it was going to take more than one off season of playing against each other for this team to gel. These guys have to play live games together. That cannot be duplicated in the summer scrimmages.

The good thing is we still have 20 games to figure it out before the season starts.

I don't think it's a matter of gelling, Corona. We have no point guard. The guy who's playing point can't dribble it within 20ft of the basket without falling on his ass, losing the ball, getting an offensive charge, or just throwing it away.

We also don't play the right personnel. That part is clear. Tarke and Efe riding the bench, while verhoeven and Vila get bulk minutes.

This team is a mess from a player a standpoint, as well as a coaching standpoint.

Did we all really think it was going to be that easy? We pluck a coach away, we steal their recruits, we get a bunch of transfers and everything just falls into place.

I knew it was going to take more than one off season of playing against each other for this team to gel. These guys have to play live games together. That cannot be duplicated in the summer scrimmages.
BTW. Terry said in the post game that "it's difficult to work Tarke into the game". May I inquire by asking why? You don't find it difficult to give Lathon and Vila enough time to screw up the outcome. Where were Hawkins, Efe and Stroud?

The good thing is we still have 20 games to figure it out before the season starts.
I suddenly don't see a game on our remaining schedule that I would put in the win column. We are capable of losing everything from now on. Realistically I doubt that we are about middle of the pack in a conference that's less than mediocre.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxRdKiller
I don't think it's a matter of gelling, Corona. We have no point guard. The guy who's playing point can't dribble it within 20ft of the basket without falling on his ass, losing the ball, getting an offensive charge, or just throwing it away.

We also don't play the right personnel. That part is clear. Tarke and Efe riding the bench, while verhoeven and Vila get bulk minutes.

This team is a mess from a player a standpoint, as well as a coaching standpoint.

With such a deep stable of highly rated guards and not one of them can step up and fill the role is baffling.

As far as the personal that’s something that takes more than 10 games to figure out. We don’t know how the bench looks in practice. What if Villa and Tydus eat Tarke and Efe during practice? Terry is starting to give minutes to the bench. I think by pod play the starters will have earned their role on a live court and not in a closed practice.

Despite the shit show, I think we’re still top half of CUSA and even top 4. Obviously some things will have to iron out, but all is not lost...yet. Hopefully Terry is not Floyd level bad and will adjust.
I think he’s the opposite of Floyd. He can bring in the 4 star kids but can he coach them? Floyd couldn’t recruit his own son here but was a master at X’s and O’s

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
With such a deep stable of highly rated guards and not one of them can step up and fill the role is baffling.

As far as the personal that’s something that takes more than 10 games to figure out. We don’t know how the bench looks in practice. What if Villa and Tydus eat Tarke and Efe during practice? Terry is starting to give minutes to the bench. I think by pod play the starters will have earned their role on a live court and not in a closed practice.

I think he’s the opposite of Floyd. He can bring in the 4 star kids but can he coach them? Floyd couldn’t recruit his own son here but was a master at X’s and O’s

I thought Floyd was a helluva defensive coach. I was never impressed with how he coached a half court offense. If he didn’t have an OJ Mayo or a Marcus Fizer, his offenses struggled everywhere he was.

I guess what I meant by Floyd level bad is how kids would get in his doghouse and never come out again...at least without shackles and chains.

I have a feeling Terry is being hard on some guys who could really help out, which reminds me of Floyd. This team is not playing with chemistry. That’s more often than not a coaching issue.

Terry can change this around, but he needs to 1) play guys as the game warrants (no favorites) and 2) make in game adjustments.

Last night our perimeter D was really good. We shut down their best player. We got steals and scored in transition. Hawaii adjusted by rolling their 6'9" freshman to the rack for easy buckets. 2and half they shut off our drive and we had no answers. Despite all of this we still had Williams to save the day. Sadly Vila and Lathon were allowed to play down the stretch when EVERYBODY can see they were struggling.

Agree big time on the first point of course. On Lathon, I'm hoping some of the issues are due to inexperience, but realistically it looks more like he lacks some fundamentals to be effective at the position. Just looking at his stats the past few games, it is difficult to justify him being out there for that many minutes. However, Terry essentially handed over the reigns to the young guy with no realistic options on the roster to sub him out.

On Vila, I have already made my opinions known on him based on the player I saw in JC. In my opinion, he would be a role player (8/9 man) off the bench, or perhaps a specific defensive matchup. He brings little to nothing on offense, and now teams have been attacking him specifically on defense.

On Efe, I am not as big a fan as some, but I do think he should be playing more minutes. I think he could pair up with Williams if Terry uses his talents from midrange. Efe has a nice game from out to 15 feet. His main problems are on the defensive end. However, at this point, can he be any less effective than Vila?

I think we may start seeing more of Tarke finally, based on the limitations mentioned above on Vila/Efe. Again, can the results be any worse?

On Terry as a bench coach, I think that is still a big question mark. Obviously, the offensive sets have been a big issue up to now. The offense consists of trying to get Williams the ball at all costs, and if not, the guards often jack up a bad shot with the clock running down. He needs to do more to help the players. It hasn't been good so far, and last night was particularly brutal down the stretch. Again, there is a huge difference between winning at home versus the road. Plus, you have to give Hawaii credit for their comeback. In a best case scenario, lasts night's game is simply part of the growing pains for a team that is still very inexperienced at this level.

I thought Floyd was a helluva defensive coach. I was never impressed with how he coached a half court offense. If he didn’t have an OJ Mayo or a Marcus Fizer, his offenses struggled everywhere he was.

I guess what I meant by Floyd level bad is how kids would get in his doghouse and never come out again...at least without shackles and chains.

I have a feeling Terry is being hard on some guys who could really help out, which reminds me of Floyd. This team is not playing with chemistry. That’s more often than not a coaching issue.
I see what you’re saying. My memories of Floyd are a little nicer. For some reason I remember Floyd coaching depleted teams, mostly because of his own fault, to top four in the conference.

Speaking of minutes; did anyone notice whether or not Stroud was even there last night?

I do like the point though that with all this doom and gloom and not getting players in we feel should be and the team not having play from the guard position we need to win — if we can get these next two games which are winnable we are still 10-3... which ain’t bad....

I do like the point though that with all this doom and gloom and not getting players in we feel should be and the team not having play from the guard position we need to win — if we can get these next two games which are winnable we are still 10-3... which ain’t bad....
We are 2 pt dogs tonight

Anyone listen to what terry said after? Was there a post game ?
Yes?
Teich mentioned Tarke and Terry said it was"difficult" to find playing time for him. Guess that also applied to Stroud, Efe and Hawkins.
Said they had opportunities, but didn't capitalize.
Said Williams had a nice game.
No comments about the production of Lathon and Vila and Teich didn't ask.
Kind of a lackluster interview just like the game itself.
Ohh...also said Ball State is well coached.

Yes?
Teich mentioned Tarke and Terry said it was"difficult" to find playing time for him. Guess that also applied to Stroud, Efe and Hawkins.
Said they had opportunities, but didn't capitalize.
Said Williams had a nice game.
No comments about the production of Lathon and Vila and Teich didn't ask.
Kind of a lackluster interview just like the game itself.
Ohh...also said Ball State is well coached.
Lathon didn't lose last night's game necessarily, however he definitely didn't help us win the game with the ball in his hands at the end. The other PG Buggs was the difference down the stretch. Woulda been nice to have a real PG like that.

Without Williams going absolutely nuts every night, we would be getting demolished

Don't think we win any of the remaining games. Honestly, if we can't even beat Hawaii, I'm not sure it matters at this point.

We've struggled mightily against d2 teams, essentially being in a battle up until the final moments of the games. As we're seeing, the decent D1 teams are going to take advantage of our sloppy play. I haven't seen any improvement in this area. In fact, it's gotten worse, probably due to opposing team's ability to scout and gameplan against our players.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that we'll be a roughly .500 team this year. At least that's my guess. Even if we do start playing the bench more, they're already behind the curve in terms of minutes played and establishing a connection with the team.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Is it really that bad? Do I need to watch the games sober? .500?, can’t find another W to pencil in the schedule?

The honeymoon really is over.

All three of our losses would probably be on the record of any other CUSA team.

@ a top 50 UH and @ two top 120 teams.

I really thought we could sneak one out against Hawaii. I was wrong but my 10-3 ooc prediction is still on the table. If we lose tonight it’s going to raise my right eyebrow.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Is it really that bad? Do I need to watch the games sober? .500?, can’t find another W to pencil in the schedule?

The honeymoon really is over.

All three of our losses would probably be on the record of any other CUSA team.

@ a top 50 UH and @ two top 120 teams.

I really thought we could sneak one out against Hawaii. I was wrong but my 10-3 ooc prediction is still on the table. If we lose tonight it’s going to raise my right eyebrow.
Balls St is 110 on KenPom and we are 2 point dogs. This is another tough matchup for us

Reactions: Lil_Train
Gilyard would have been the difference maker, to make THIS years team special... It's a tragedy he got run off. Wasn't it supposed to be for an asst. coach and player?

I suddenly don't see a game on our remaining schedule that I would put in the win column. We are capable of losing everything from now on. Realistically I doubt that we are about middle of the pack in a conference that's less than mediocre.
As always, the eternal optimist
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT