ADVERTISEMENT

Vuk Vulikic New Basketball commitment

What is the definition of a player who is "the most fundamentally sound player" on the team?

European players tend to have better understanding of basketball fundamentals. We’ve lost that a bit in the US. The NBA has influenced a generation of youngsters who travel, carry the ball, don’t have the correct hand in the passing lane, don’t go up with the correct arm to block a shot, etc. Two handed bounce pass or chest pass isn’t sexy and flashy, which is what youngsters tend to try and do nowadays. Look at Jokic playing PG the other night. Euro players make up for lack of athleticism with basketball IQ and fundamentals.

Last edited:
Well, ok, but less excitement for you and more for everyone else. You gotta get a little excited now and then AB or life is too dull.

I'm excited by a lot of things. I won't get excited about a player who MIGHT play for UTEP who MIGHT be a "stud".

European players tend to have better understanding of basketball fundamentals. We’ve lost that a bit in the US. The NBA has influenced a generation of youngsters who travel, carry the ball, don’t have the correct hand in the passing lane, don’t go up with the correct arm to block a shot, etc. Two handed bounce pass or chest pass isn’t sexy and flashy, which is what youngsters tend to try and do nowadays. Look at Jokic, playing PG the other night. Euro players make up for lack of athleticism with basketball IQ and fundamentals.

I will get excited when I see him play for UTEP.

People said Luka looked slow and was unathletic.. People can be wrong...

I like Luka’s game but he is a whiny brat. He needs to just shut up and play sometimes. He’s always taking plays off cause he’s whining to the refs bout a non call.

European players tend to have better understanding of basketball fundamentals. We’ve lost that a bit in the US. The NBA has influenced a generation of youngsters who travel, carry the ball, don’t have the correct hand in the passing lane, don’t go up with the correct arm to block a shot, etc. Two handed bounce pass or chest pass isn’t sexy and flashy, which is what youngsters tend to try and do nowadays. Look at Jokic, playing PG the other night. Euro players make up for lack of athleticism with basketball IQ and fundamentals.
Bingo. Totally agree.

I like Luka’s game but he is a whiny brat. He needs to just shut up and play sometimes. He’s always taking plays off cause he’s whining to the refs bout a non call.
If you are so determined, you can find fault with anyone. Luka is a super star! Yes he does whine, but look around at the other whiners; Harden, Labron, Westbrook. I'll happily take his triple doubles in exchange for making The Mavs winners again.

Reactions: axingfools1
I'm excited by a lot of things. I won't get excited about a player who MIGHT play for UTEP who MIGHT be a "stud".
I will get excited when I see him play for UTEP.

And that’s cool. I’m not here to call you a troll or fight with you on an internet message board, but jebus man stop being cynical. Yeah I’m waiting for UTEP to break my heart again this year in football and b-ball, but ya know what I still have hope and excitement that things will change. I’m excited that this kid will be a good get and fill a need we are desperate for. Take what I said however you like. You can tell me to shut up and go to hell, which is cool if that’s how you feel, but damn man don’t be so cynical.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Cuz you got dumped one time?

Nope, many recruits have not played a single minute for football and basketball teams. He’s just the one that everybody remembers. He chose to lose a year of eligibility and sit out than play here. He backed out at the last possible minute. I can’t name a football player that did, but I follow football recruiting even less.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
And that’s cool. I’m not here to call you a troll or fight with you on an internet message board, but jebus man stop being cynical. Yeah I’m waiting for UTEP to break my heart again this year in football and b-ball, but ya know what I still have hope and excitement that things will change. I’m excited that this kid will be a good get and fill a need we are desperate for. Take what I said however you like. You can tell me to shut up and go to hell, which is cool if that’s how you feel, but damn man don’t be so cynical.

I agree with your opinion, but I'm not being cynical, just being realistic.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Jq...Are you talking to me or someone else?

Maybe he can rub off on our other European player then. I think he fell from the tree and rolled down a ditch.

Reactions: miner1liner
is Vuk the starter at PG then?
Between him and White. I know you’re not too happy with this signing but I am. Last year our biggest weakness was a lack of a true floor General. We brought in some pg’s in the offseason to offset the loss of Hawkins and Lathon but honestly I don’t think any of them will be any better than what we lost. This team needs a true pg to step up this season and the more on the roster the better our chances of that happening. Plus Terry loves a heavy guard lineup. If they can ball they’ll be on the court.

Between him and White. I know you’re not too happy with this signing but I am. Last year our biggest weakness was a lack of a true floor General. We brought in some pg’s in the offseason to offset the loss of Hawkins and Lathon but honestly I don’t think any of them will be any better than what we lost. This team needs a true pg to step up this season and the more on the roster the better our chances of that happening. Plus Terry loves a heavy guard lineup. If they can ball they’ll be on the court.
At this point, based on the roster (assuming no Bieniemy), it looks like it is Vuk's job to lose at the point by default. I don't see White or Kennedy as optimal options to run the team; both are natural shooting guards and to ask them to attempt to move over to the lead guard is a recipe for disaster. We saw this with Lathon last year, and that is with him having a year of D1 experience. It may be better to move Boum over to the point as a stop gap; at least he did play some there last year. With that in mind, Vuk is going to have major challenges to have a chance at any impact - New country, new teammates, different style of game and athleticism, etc. Not to mention the whole pandemic deal. Until we can see what he can do on the court, it is tough to imagine being any more effective than what we were last year.

At this point, based on the roster (assuming no Bieniemy), it looks like it is Vuk's job to lose at the point by default. I don't see White or Kennedy as optimal options to run the team; both are natural shooting guards and to ask them to attempt to move over to the lead guard is a recipe for disaster. We saw this with Lathon last year, and that is with him having a year of D1 experience. It may be better to move Boum over to the point as a stop gap; at least he did play some there last year. With that in mind, Vuk is going to have major challenges to have a chance at any impact - New country, new teammates, different style of game and athleticism, etc. Not to mention the whole pandemic deal. Until we can see what he can do on the court, it is tough to imagine being any more effective than what we were last year.
Tech's European import Moretti (sp?) worked out damn well for them. Hopefully we'll see something like that with Vuk.

I think Vuk looks good. He is mature and he has a lot of experience. Nothing against him. Like Train said, its gonna be difficult due to all the circumstances and the big transition.

My only problem is Terry's recruiting to his needs regarding position and class. It seems all out of whack. He still hasn't recovered from losing Likekele. Also I really don't like the overrecruiting, but as many of you have said I guess this is the new normal. My thing is, if you are going to overrecruit, then you better win now.

I think Vuk looks good. He is mature and he has a lot of experience. Nothing against him. Like Train said, its gonna be difficult due to all the circumstances and the big transition.

My only problem is Terry's recruiting to his needs regarding position and class. It seems all out of whack. He still hasn't recovered from losing Likekele. Also I really don't like the overrecruiting, but as many of you have said I guess this is the new normal. My thing is, if you are going to overrecruit, then you better win now.
Perfect scenario would have been a P5 grad transfer. I’m sure that’s what Terry wanted too. Given between a hs kid or Jc transfer this looks like a better gamble.

It’s the way the entire world is. Win now! What have you done for me lately? If the NCAA allows one time waivers it’s going to be even worse. Players and coaches alike want to win fast and move up. Very little of them are interested in building.

I don’t blame them either. Fans and AD’s tend to forget about past success after a couple of bad years.

Don’t you know it’s a white mans game. Walk up the court, set you feet, and use two hands to throw the ball towards the hoop. Jeez, Ran get with the times.

Imagine how awful we would have been with Vuk as our starting point.

I am interested to see what he does from here on out. I dont trust in the coaching of Terry to judge if he is any good or not.

Maybe if he played at Loyola Chicago where and actual offense is being taught, he would be All Conference.

Reactions: miner1liner

I want to know the hell did CRT miss out on La Tech's Ken Lofton, Jr? Not like the kid was under recruited.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT