ADVERTISEMENT

Well, all the Miners can do now is make some lemonade.

Speaking of which, maybe some miners with twitter pages can make some lemonade here. Tech and other schools have been dominant

Being picked last has some benefits. Our opponents are going to overlook us and that leads to some wins.

Being picked last has some benefits. Our opponents are going to overlook us and that leads to some wins.

Reading some posts and responses on NAU's Facebook and Twitter. Their fans seem really confident that their team is going to win. The writers and radio shows that follow the program also sound pretty convinced of a win. They're bringing their band, cheerleaders, dancers and a bunch of fans so they're looking to celebrate a win over an FBS program. I've never been more fired up to see UTEP play a lower division school so I hope the team shows up huge

Reactions: HeWore62
Reading some posts and responses on NAU's Facebook and Twitter. Their fans seem really confident that their team is going to win. The writers and radio shows that follow the program also sound pretty convinced of a win. They're bringing their band, cheerleaders, dancers and a bunch of fans so they're looking to celebrate a win over an FBS program. I've never been more fired up to see UTEP play a lower division school so I hope the team shows up huge

Having the Northern Arizona band on hand will be big plus, adding to the Sun Bowl game-day atmosphere. Our visitors will be impressed with the facility and the setting. They always are.

I once asked the dearly-departed Chris Park if his boss, Bob Stull, in the athletic department had ever considered sending the band on UTEP road games.

Oh yes, it had been considered.

Was cost a drawback?

Yes.

How much would it cost to send, say, half the band, as University of Texas does to Longhorn roadies?

$10,000-$12,000, depending on the travel.

What if I circulated among UTEP alums and, somehow, got the money donated for 2-3 selected trips a season? (I was thinking ... at Rice, at North Texas, at La Tech ...)

No, Mark, we need that money in other areas.

{next topic of discussion}

NAU runs an air raid and have 2 to 3 very able qb's with one transfer from Washington and a WR with NFL draft potential. They got into FCS playoffs but bounced in an ugly loss. Their coach is new but OC has good experience. The flip side is their defense which is eh, so maybe UTEP can exploit it. If UTEP does not show improvement in getting behind the line this could be a basketball score type game. If fans show up in good numbers the sound created within the SB could hopefully create problems for them because the mountain echo's sound so loudly. Who knows?

Having the Northern Arizona band on hand will be big plus, adding to the Sun Bowl game-day atmosphere. Our visitors will be impressed with the facility and the setting. They always are.

I once asked the dearly-departed Chris Park if his boss, Bob Stull, in the athletic department had ever considered sending the band on UTEP road games.

Oh yes, it had been considered.

Was cost a drawback?

Yes.

How much would it cost to send, say, half the band, as University of Texas does to Longhorn roadies?

$10,000-$12,000, depending on the travel.

What if I circulated among UTEP alums and, somehow, got the money donated for 2-3 selected trips a season? (I was thinking ... at Rice, at North Texas, at La Tech ...)

No, Mark, we need that money in other areas.

{next topic of discussion}

Up until about 4 years ago UTEP's band always had the one out of town trip annually. Last year it wasn't considered. The year before that they were supposed to go to UTSA but were told they wouldn't be able to perform since it was UTSA's homecoming. The year prior to that was the UNT game where it rained so much that the band missed the game despite being in DFW. ... oh well... I miss those days and would love to see them back. The band did a great job in Frisco for Conference USA basketball and with our new band director I see it getting better this season

Reactions: MinerE
NAU runs an air raid and have 2 to 3 very able qb's with one transfer from Washington and a WR with NFL draft potential. They got into FCS playoffs but bounced in an ugly loss. Their coach is new but OC has good experience. The flip side is their defense which is eh, so maybe UTEP can exploit it. If UTEP does not show improvement in getting behind the line this could be a basketball score type game. If fans show up in good numbers the sound created within the SB could hopefully create problems for them because the mountain echo's sound so loudly. Who knows?
Their coach is new? He starts his 20th season as HC at NAU this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT