ADVERTISEMENT

Well, we still have basketball!

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Oh God how we brought satisfaction back to our sick minds come fall just a few short years ago knowing UTEP basketball made things better.

giphy.gif

I wonder who our next BB coach will be now after seeing who our FB coach is. I’m sure Senter is hard at work scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to find someone.

Reactions: El Paso 777
And lost in all the football craziness, the basketball team has already lost their recruit, Lamar Norman Jr. He signed in the early period.

And lost in all the football craziness, the basketball team has already lost their recruit, Lamar Norman Jr. He signed in the early period.

No surprise, really. I'll be surprised if we keep any of our early signees.

An older assistant who had a middling run at a mediocre school a couple of decades ago? Sounds about right.
Mediocre? Since he was at KSU as OC, 8 straight bowl games, Big 12 Championship, 5-0 vs Texas top schools last year, 10-5 vs UT during Big 12 era, and a beat down of UTEP'S more better teams just 3 or 4 years ago. But you really have not had any good teams. Now that sounds about right...

Last edited:
Mediocre? 8 straight bowl games, Big 12 Championship, 5-0 vs Texas top schools last year, 10-5 vs UT during Big 12 era, and a beat down of UTEP'S more better teams just 3 or 4 years ago. But you really have not had any good teams. Now that sounds about right...

He was talking about phil Johnson's tenure as head coach of sjsu basketball. He was not talking about k-state football.

Mediocre? Since he was at KSU as OC, 8 straight bowl games, Big 12 Championship, 5-0 vs Texas top schools last year, 10-5 vs UT during Big 12 era, and a beat down of UTEP'S more better teams just 3 or 4 years ago. But you really have not had any good teams. Now that sounds about right...

Huh?

Dimel has had a good run as OC, aside from his bad stint at UH, he's had a decent career. Give him a chance. My point was UTEP has not much football success especially for a Texas school, and whether you were referring to UH, Wyoming or K-State as mediocre, all of them have been more successful than UTEP.

Ok...yes, we as K-State fans were growing tired of Dana's play calling. Most are glad to see him move on, but the move may be good for everyone. Dimel can use his past experiences to his advantage at UTEP, and KSU can begin shaping it's future.

Expect JUCO recruiting for fillers, implementation of a strong redshirt , and walk-on program. Be patient and I'm sure results will follow. Of course after that time you may turn into whiners like most K-State fans and find other things to complain about...but winning and a lack of post season appearances won't be among those things...hopefully.

Good luck UTEP...Go Miners!!

I’ll take him.

I think 80% of our fan base wanted him gone last year. His trajectory at KSU is just like it was at Illinois (minus the champ. game appearance). If he, by some miracle, makes the NCAA tournament with this year's roster, I think most of our fans would agree he deserves to stick around. I wouldn't bet a penny that he makes it though.

Hey @UTEPAthletics, here is something that can be explored for both men's and women's basketball next year at Memorial Gym. This is something that Texas Tech is doing a throwback game(s) at their old building Lubbock Municipal Coliseum:

Maybe you could swing a women's game there, but the venue is now too small for men's attendance. Overall it's impossible though. The backboards are gone and the court was long ago painted over for volleyball

Maybe you could swing a women's game there, but the venue is now too small for men's attendance. Overall it's impossible though. The backboards are gone and the court was long ago painted over for volleyball

Yeah, it would be impossible to get the removable goals at the DHC and bring them over. It would also be impossible to paint the court too I guess? Paint is expensive.

They could do this for mens bball. Here's a random idea. UTEP could announce the game and say only the first 4000 season ticket holders get seats to the game. That would give people an incentive to buy season tickets.

If you don't reach that amount, then you can sell the remaining tickets at a higher than normal price. Is that so hard?

UTEP can steal that idea from me.

Yeah, it would be impossible to get the removable goals at the DHC and bring them over. It would also be impossible to paint the court too I guess? Paint is expensive.

They could do this for mens bball. Here's a random idea. UTEP could announce the game and say only the first 4000 season ticket holders get seats to the game. That would give people an incentive to buy season tickets.

If you don't reach that amount, then you can sell the remaining tickets at a higher than normal price. Is that so hard?

here's a random idea...you could stop posting

Reactions: unihorn
Don’t like it. The walls are to close for today’s athletes. No need to have anybody hurt just to do something cool. If there was more floor space I would be all for it.

What the athletic department would have to replace are the backstops if they really want to go old school Memorial Gym:

https://www.spaldingequipment.com/gymnasium.aspx?id=54&Ceiling-Suspended+Backstops
Don’t like it. The walls are to close for today’s athletes. No need to have anybody hurt just to do something cool. If there was more floor space I would be all for it.
What about the exposed iron behind the backstops at the Haskins Center, a tradition since 1977. Absolutely no padding. I believe that Gallagher Iba Arena have brick wall not far from the court.
I do not want to see a repeat of this:
http://krod.com/memorial-gym-transformed-for-c-usa-womens-basketball-tournament/
If Memorial Gym cannot get worked out, there is always plan B: El Paso County Coliseum.

RestroomS and security would be a nightmare. No media room or floor space. Concessions would only have one window. Capacity is 5200, but that's counting the wooden bleachers which have been adjusted to volleyball dimensions. Advertising space would be limited. No high Def scoreboard means zero ads. To top it off I talked to the manager of the facilities today just to see how feasible this was and his response was a word i wont repeat followed by a "no"

RestroomS and security would be a nightmare. No media room or floor space. Concessions would only have one window. Capacity is 5200, but that's counting the wooden bleachers which have been adjusted to volleyball dimensions. Advertising space would be limited. No high Def scoreboard means zero ads. To top it off I talked to the manager of the facilities today just to see how feasible this was and his response was a word i wont repeat followed by a "no"

So Stull could not add HD/ LED video board like this:

https://www.daktronics.com/en-us/photos/details?pn=WP-17927&cid=CSU003 or
https://www.daktronics.com/news/Pages/St-Johns-University-Gets-Big-Video-Upgrade.aspx

I guess Steve is just taking a local pic of Coach Baker after the Women's team won. Nothing more or less. I think In n Out is overrated myself, but hey... glad the program is improving after last year's rebuilding season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT