ADVERTISEMENT

Wellp ..

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
Chalk up another loss. this season can't end soon enough. What the heck are we gonna talk about between now and football season? Seriously. Maybe the softball team will be decent this year.

I'm being very extreme but this FFDP song pretty much sums up how many in UTEPlandia are feeling.

Wasn’t able to watch the game last night. Noticed a couple things on the stat sheet this morning, though. Most glaring to me was Osborne logging only 5 minutes. Guy goes from 40 minutes a week ago, down to 5 last night. Anyone have any insight as to why?

Also, anyone care to give mini-breakdown of the flow of last night’s game? Would be appreciated.

Wasn’t able to watch the game last night. Noticed a couple things on the stat sheet this morning, though. Most glaring to me was Osborne logging only 5 minutes. Guy goes from 40 minutes a week ago, down to 5 last night. Anyone have any insight as to why?

Also, anyone care to give mini-breakdown of the flow of last night’s game? Would be appreciated.

A lot of missed shots and a lot of turnovers pretty much sums up the game.

You'll just have to check with your elite coaching staff to reveal their unique game winning techniques. You might investigate their loving relationship with Flaggart who had considerable more court time than Osborne, although he did contribute another one his successful taking of a charge. The mysterious saga continues.

You might investigate their loving relationship with Flaggart who had considerable more court time than Osborne, although he did contribute another one his successful taking of a charge. The mysterious saga continues.

Isn't Flaggart's family rich? Maybe instead of the coach paying the family for a recruit the family is paying the coach for more playing time?

My view of the game went like this: in the first half nobody was playing well. The offense was struggling but the defense was keeping them in the game considering how many points Marshall can put up. The big thing I noticed in the second half was Wilms was finally put in the game and it did make a huge difference. The Miners would cut into the lead but then Johnson would take him out. Not sure if that was because he was tired, wanting to avoid further injury, or what. Then Marshall would pull away again. I noticed this several times. In my opinion if Wilms is suited out to play and has been cleared to play, he needs to tough it out. Gilyard plays with a lot of heart and isn’t afraid of anything. He displayed that in the second half. Thomas had an awful game. Omega played decent defense against Elmore but was MIA on offense. Frazier was jacking up threes but this time made a few but is still careless with the ball. Osborne to me is inconsistent. He wasn’t playing well, missing shots, and to me wasn’t into the game. I think Magee needs to play more even if it means playing alongside Gilyard. Wade seems to play better on the road than at home.

I feel like there are problems with the chemistry of the team and it didn’t help that Floyd left them high and dry. Most of the team seems to plays with a “who cares” attitude. Some of the players seem like they don’t get along. We need to recruit team players who are winners and play with heart. It is indeed very sad times in Miner basketball!

The first half was similar to the MTSU game where we played defense for about 5 total minutes; on offense, jacking up bad shots from outside. Frazier started the game, and was mostly ineffective other than making his first three point shot. Again Flaggert got plenty of minutes; presumably for his defense, and his "smart" play on offense. Osborne was in for very limited minutes. I guess Johnson's thinking is that Flaggert and Touchet are somehow less detrimental to the team than other options. It really is that ludicrous. In the second half, Willms made a mysterious start, and the team actually looked better working through the post. You have to ask why Johnson felt it was best to wait on playing Willms only in the second half; even for brief minutes in the first half. UTEP could not make up the difference in the second half again due to shaky defense and multiple turnovers. Gilyard did make several threes that kept the Miners close, but it was far from enough. Again, Harris was pretty much MIA, although he did do a decent job on defense. Just too many holes to overcome. Having Willms available for more minutes would make a difference, but that doesn't look very likely health wise. Tough season that really can't end soon enough.

Last edited:
Thanks mike and train. Appreciate the breakdown. Sounds all too familiar.

Also, no doubt this is a better team with Willms in the line-up. Hopefully the staff is looking forward to tourney time and saving him up, without letting him get too rusty. He’s got limited mileage left on those feet, and that body.

Thanks mike and train. Appreciate the breakdown. Sounds all too familiar.

Also, no doubt this is a better team with Willms in the line-up. Hopefully the staff is looking forward to tourney time and saving him up, without letting him get too rusty. He’s got limited mileage left on those feet, and that body.

This team definitely has a tourney run in them. We beat UNM and Washington St so a CUSA tournament run is in the cards! Solid post!
latest

Reactions: El Paso 777
This team definitely has a tourney run in them. We beat UNM and Washington St so a CUSA tournament run is in the cards! Solid post!
latest

Somebody’s reading a bit too far into things, eh?

As much of a disaster as the last however many # of years this program has been, I still root for the Miners. No illusions, just a glimmer of hope...unlike a few of the pseudo fans on here.

Nothing wrong with rooting, but saving anyone for tourney time is a bit much. UTEP wouldn't even make the damn thing right now.

Not if you are aware mileage is limited. Willms has proven time after time that his vehicle could break down at any time. Our record sucks already, so aside from being in the top 12, there is not much of the season to salvage. Although not especially common, there is usually at least a team every year, with a losing record who puts it altogether for their conference tourney and makes it to the big tourney. Might as well limit Willms’ court time until it matters. I do realize they’ve got to win some games just to make the cusa tourney, though.

Again, that’s how I envision an ideal situation for this team. Do I think it’ll go down that way? Not likely, but that’s why they play the games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Johnson mentioned in his post game press conference that Willms requested to be inserted into the game after the first half because he stiffens up when he sits after playing. Tough spot for the coach on that one. It's been a tough snakebitten season. Like Fanaticoog mentioned, if we are able to somehow sneak our way into the tournament with a healthier Willms, we may just surprise a team or two. The talent level from top to bottom in CUSA is pretty even. I thought WKU looked pretty vulnerable on the road this week; and they may now need to win out, plus make it to the conference championship game versus MTSU, to even have a chance at an at large bid.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
One of the silliest things I have seen written on here.
Yeah, that might have been a bit of a stretch. Overall, the league is better up to the top 8 - 10 teams, which hasn't really been the case previously. I do think getting a couple of teams into the tournament would be a huge plus this year, and if that can happen on a consistent basis moving forward, that would be a boost for the league as a whole. At this point, I am just hoping Senter makes a hire to get us back into the conversation.

Yeah, that might have been a bit of a stretch. Overall, the league is better up to the top 8 - 10 teams, which hasn't really been the case previously. I do think getting a couple of teams into the tournament would be a huge plus this year, and if that can happen on a consistent basis moving forward, that would be a boost for the league as a whole. At this point, I am just hoping Senter makes a hire to get us back into the conversation.

There will just be one team getting into the NCAA Tournament this year. Getting a couple of teams into the tournament on a consistent basis is a pipedream.

Can't say I disagree with you; the chances are highly unlikely to get two teams in. This year, if MTSU were to win out, but lose in the conference championship, I think they may still get in based on their recent history; but that is still far from a guarantee as we know.

Can't say I disagree with you; the chances are highly unlikely to get two teams in. This year, if MTSU were to win out, but lose in the conference championship, I think they may still get in based on their recent history; but that is still far from a guarantee as we know.

If they win out and lose in the championship they will have 6 losses. I don't see it happening.

I have the ultimate confidence in Jim Senter. I would love to go have coffee with him somewhere and just pick his brain about his coach search and where it stands at this moment. I'll bet there's lots of great stuff going on.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT