ADVERTISEMENT

WestStar Bank Sun Bowl Invitational

It's amazing that rumors were circling that he was our best player. He's our worst player. Everything he does is detrimental. Tarke should be getting his minutes.

And speaking of minutes, why is Efe rarely on the floor? Seriously, wtf is up with Terry's thought process on playing guys? Efe is our second or third best player. He needs to be getting minutes.

I know it's early in the season, but I'm really losing patience with what I consider sloppy basketball, coupled with questionable player rotation decisions...

Not 100% positive but I think it was just stanman who said he was our best player or heard he was our best player, or something to that effect. Could be wrong on that, though. I had heard Archie was really good too. From someone most would recognize as being a somewhat knowledgeable source. Just not sure how there could be so much disparity between practice and game time situations. From what I’ve seen so far, I’m not sure if there is anything Archie can bring to the table.

As far as Efe goes, he’s still forcing everything he gets down low. Rarely pushes the ball back out. Maybe if he could get more than 4 inches off the floor he wouldn’t take so many facials. He’s eating damn near everything he throws up. I don’t think he’s earned much pt lately either.

Not 100% positive but I think it was just stanman who said he was our best player or heard he was our best player, or something to that effect. Could be wrong on that, though. I had heard Archie was really good too. From someone most would recognize as being a somewhat knowledgeable source. Just not sure how there could be so much disparity between practice and game time situations. From what I’ve seen so far, I’m not sure if there is anything Archie can bring to the table.

As far as Efe goes, he’s still forcing everything he gets down low. Rarely pushes the ball back out. Maybe if he could get more than 4 inches off the floor he wouldn’t take so many facials. He’s eating damn near everything he throws up. I don’t think he’s earned much pt lately either.
Efe was more effective before he shed the lbs.

Reactions: tbleslieDELETE
No, not really. Think I’ll go with Vegas’ take over your’s on this one. But go ahead and argue about how right you are.

If you want to settle for mediocrity that's ok. Bradley beat North Carolina A&T by 31 and UNCG by 33.

I would be more confident in this team if they were winning by those margins. That's all I'm saying.

I like Tydus playing with Williams. I think with a little more time together they will be pretty good. I may be alone here, but I like centers that can defend. He provides more protection for Bryson and our guards. Tydus actually had 3 blocked shots tonight, but 2 were negated by dumb floor fouls on the drive. Once the guys start trusting each other his blocks will start accumulating.

Boum had a good night. He was in rhythm. Great free throw shooter. Hope he keeps it up.

Edwards needs to return to being a "shot maker", not just a "shot taker". He's still on the verge of 40%.

Lathon looks bored and is too worried about the fans cheering IMO. He likes big games better. I'd like to see he and Hawkins play together.

Williams already has one of the nation's top shooting percentages. Now he is doing it from 3. Amazing!

I gave up on Vila tonight when he missed 3 straight free throws. Terry keeps saying he is smart, but at this point I would have preferred Eze.

Efe is forcing a lot and needs to just accept his role. The guy is ALWAYS double teamed so it's hard for him to get off shots. We need him though.

Archie looks lost. He seems to just want to get rid of the ball as fast as he can . Maybe he needs to focus on his athleticm and get to the rim while defending at a high level until more game comes to him. Personally I'd rather see Stroud out there getting those minutes.

Miners Play a UC Irvine team that will probably be in the Big Dance. Let's get a win, even if it's by 3 points, and maybe people can stop whining and bitching about being 7-1 on the young season. Miner Basketball is stronger then in years past and people have the nerve to complain we are not winning by 30 LOL

I like Tydus playing with Williams. I think with a little more time together they will be pretty good. I may be alone here, but I like centers that can defend. He provides more protection for Bryson and our guards. Tydus actually had 3 blocked shots tonight, but 2 were negated by dumb floor fouls on the drive. Once the guys start trusting each other his blocks will start accumulating.

Boum had a good night. He was in rhythm. Great free throw shooter. Hope he keeps it up.

Edwards needs to return to being a "shot maker", not just a "shot taker". He's still on the verge of 40%.

Lathon looks bored and is too worried about the fans cheering IMO. He likes big games better. I'd like to see he and Hawkins play together.

Williams already has one of the nation's top shooting percentages. Now he is doing it from 3. Amazing!

I gave up on Vila tonight when he missed 3 straight free throws. Terry keeps saying he is smart, but at this point I would have preferred Eze.

Efe is forcing a lot and needs to just accept his role. The guy is ALWAYS double teamed so it's hard for him to get off shots. We need him though.

Archie looks lost. He seems to just want to get rid of the ball as fast as he can . Maybe he needs to focus on his athleticm and get to the rim while defending at a high level until more game comes to him. Personally I'd rather see Stroud out there getting those minutes.
Agree. On Efe, I think it is a combination of things. First, teams have obviously adjusted to his offensive game. Like you mentioned, he is getting doubled often, and has still not learned how to handle the pressure. He is not athletic enough to shoot over the double; and he will never be. I disagree that the weight loss has made him less effective. Being able move better is never a bad thing in basketball; he is simply not an explosive athlete. Also, I think he is a guy that needs to play to find his rhythm. Very few guys can jump right into the middle of action and be effective. He will get better.

I thought Hawkins came in and provided a defensive spark in the first half, and that was great to see. Overall, the drop in play from our starters to the bench guys is pretty significant. I think Terry wants to use more of those guys, but right now, they can't maintain a lead. On Archie, he is definitely not a shooter, so in a half court game, he is easy to defend. In a run and gun practice, I can see how his athleticism could wow observers. Right now, he needs to try to drive the ball with big body.

Fans need to adopt a loud cheer of "BOOOOOOOOUM" after each three. It'll be an exciting event for the crowd in the seasons ahead. Boum could become a real fan favorite.
I agree and have been saying that since before the season started. Looks like Ray Adauto (tonight’s announcer) was trying to begin that with a loud “Boum” after each three pointer. Before the season began I received a phone call from Boum thanking me for being a season ticket holder. I told him we were going to begin a “Boum” cheer after each three pointer, and he laughed at that.

Efe is jacking up ball's because he's getting almost no opportunities to play. The guy is having to wait until the second half to get more than 3min playing time. It makes no sense to me. Nobody can get in rhythm with the team like that.

Archie needs to take a back seat to Hawkins and tarke. I literally felt uneasy about the guy after the second time I saw him with the ball in his hands. Hasn't shown me any different in any moment since.

Don't know what to make of lathon. The kid's ball handling skills just aren't there for a pg. He's also turning the ball over every time he drives to the basket.

We're going to be in real trouble when we play against teams who can take advantage of our regular scoring droughts. Even the D2 competition is hanging with us because if it

Efe is jacking up ball's because he's getting almost no opportunities to play. The guy is having to wait until the second half to get more than 3min playing time. It makes no sense to me. Nobody can get in rhythm with the team like that.

Archie needs to take a back seat to Hawkins and tarke. I literally felt uneasy about the guy after the second time I saw him with the ball in his hands. Hasn't shown me any different in any moment since.

Don't know what to make of lathon. The kid's ball handling skills just aren't there for a pg. He's also turning the ball over every time he drives to the basket.

We're going to be in real trouble when we play against teams who can take advantage of our regular scoring droughts. Even the D2 competition is hanging with us because if it
The guard play overall has been very spotty. Some of that is due to inexperience. On Lathon, I haven't seen the big jump I was hoping for as a sophomore. He is almost guaranteed to be in foul trouble in the first half, which gets him a seat on the bench. We knew coming in that he is not a true point, but there really aren't any better options on the roster. At his size, you would think he would be a better finisher, but that is not the case. Our offense against the zone especially in the first half yesterday was not good, and our transition defense was poor. Like you said, these things will catch up to us versus better teams. The good thing was that Boum had what is hopefully his breakout game. I thought he was very good, including on the defensive boards.

EFE !!!?
It's obvious that Efe is not the Efe we know. He's either lacking motivation or extremely frustrated or both. I think it might be worth a try to put him on the floor with Williams instead of his backup. Maybe playing alongside each other would open things up for him because defenses have to key on Williams and can't triple team him

I don’t know what to make of this team. I’m thrilled that we’re 7-1 but I don’t think we’ve played well since the UNM game, and at that point I didn’t think we played all that well that game.

UH is a little down from where they’ve been the last couple of years, but I do feel like that is where we’ll get a realistic pulse on where this UTEP team really is and can be. I don’t know what to expect. The game could go so many different ways. I’m just hoping we somehow grind out a win in h-town.

UC Irvine is a Team that will be dancing in March. We need that DHC crowd going tonight. This would be a great win..I cant see it being easy. If everyone puts this young season into perspective how much better should we be right now?? A 20-25 win season a real possibility. Coach Terry should be getting every ounce of support.

If he turns this ship around this quickly and is able to get us into the Dance, it's scary at how fast his name is going to make noise nationally. We need to support him and this roster while they have their feet down in El Paso. This team is special. I wish I was there to support live at every game.

EFE !!!?
It's obvious that Efe is not the Efe we know. He's either lacking motivation or extremely frustrated or both. I think it might be worth a try to put him on the floor with Williams instead of his backup. Maybe playing alongside each other would open things up for him because defenses have to key on Williams and can't triple team him

He's not getting the playing time he needs, plain and simple. He's forcing things because he knows his minutes are limited.

When he's allowed to play regularly, he's our second most consistent player.

I'm amazed that a player who averaged a double double as a freshman isn't being utilized more. Yes, he had more minutes last year due to depth, but the kid played great almost every game.

IMO Terry doesn’t start Efe cuz we could get into big trouble if him and Williams both get into foul trouble early. Our depth at bigs is very limited.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
He's not getting the playing time he needs, plain and simple. He's forcing things because he knows his minutes are limited.

When he's allowed to play regularly, he's our second most consistent player.

I'm amazed that a player who averaged a double double as a freshman isn't being utilized more. Yes, he had more minutes last year due to depth, but the kid played great almost every game.
Efe is a good an important player for this team, but in my opinion Efe's numbers were inflated last year because he was the primary front court player (despite Terry saying his intention was to redshirt him as Fresno St). This year that title goes to Williams. That being said, the 5 needs to be a rim protector and rebounder. Vila can rebound some, but he is no rim protector and his shot has not been falling. He was benched. Efe is much more mobile and can actually finish in space, but he is not quick and explosive. Tydus fits the bill so he is starting. The idea is to protect the rim and the players in front of you while keeping down the fouls.

Efe was 2nd off the bench yesterday, but it was a bad matchup for him because of the zone D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT