ADVERTISEMENT

What are y’all doing to help?

I gave blood/plasma today, and am giving platelets next week. Have volunteered a little in a food bank, too. Not much, but something.

How about you guys?
Convalescent plasma transfusions from those that have recovered from COVID-19 to those that are critical are being performed. Purpose is to pass antibodies to the sick. So far it is showing decent results in limited studies.

I am a teacher and maybe it’s not the same down there as it is here... but it pisses me off when people say we are getting paid for nothing... I am up every morning calling and on the phone with parents, have set up lesson plans for the kids to push their work out on google classroom, have setup lessons for them online that have been recorded, we are having one on one sessions going over homework.... we are having daily professional development work with our school .... I almost have a plate that’s more full than before.... I am sick and tired of teachers not getting the respect they deserve.... and down here all students who have needed one are being provided laptops and internet.... teachers miss their students and want this even less than you do... but to say we are doing nothing during this time is absolute and utter nonsense... you don’t have a clue!

My respect to you guys because it seems like teachers are having to do a major change of course in a short time especially with the school year winding down. I’m sure your guys are going to be screwed especially when it comes to kids saying they don’t have computers/internet access, and inevitably someone will say “I didn’t even know we were supposed to do work”. But is it reasonable to say this situation is going to force a lot of schools/teachers to give students work just so they can put grades down? Aren’t they going to have to make the work easier because you’re not there to teach kids in person or all day and they probably don’t want to fail kids in the midst of this unreal situation?
I kind of wish this happened when I was at UTEP because I’m sure they’re going to have some online tests during Finals and I would be licking my chops knowing I’d be cheating my ass off for that easy A.

I think a benefit of this will be pushing school districts and teachers to truly embrace and prepare for elearning.

The power of e-learning is you can have truly elite teachers giving the lessons.

I gave blood/plasma today, and am giving platelets next week. Have volunteered a little in a food bank, too. Not much, but something.

How about you guys?
I take my essential ass to work everyday to ensure people on public/medical government assistance get what they need to survive this pandemic. Shits crazy on the frontlines people are really hurting finically out there.

Isn't most school online now anyways?? I wouldn't be shocked if this is the future of school. Close down schools and let kids learn at home.

Yeah, good idea! Lots of ancillary workers will be without jobs, buildings will be useless and left to rot, while students of all ages will not have real life human interaction!

Online is the future. Schools will just have adapt. Walmart and grocery stores got rid of its cashiers with self-check out. Fastfood places are using self-check out. Schools area a business. If they can save money they will do it. There will be other jobs that will open up.

Maybe they are doing “their best”, but they’re having their students work being supervised by a computer and someone who is not a teacher. Teachers have to go to school and get certified. Even though I am probably smarter than a lot of teachers, I am not certified to be a teacher. Maybe I can be one of your family members fill in nurse or medical professional if they run of them. How does that sound?

I am supposed to raise them. However, I pay taxes and expect them to be taught by someone who is certified to teach them Monday thru Friday from 730 to 330 during school weeks. I am supposed to help them with their homework, not entire lesson plans. Not only that, the school district has not provided computers/tablets for them to use, so again, I have to provide that. Meanwhile, all the teachers are getting paid while someone else does their job for them. That is not fair to the parents or the kids. If you feel differently, then you’re probably a teacher or involved with one.
I've conversed enough with you to know, you are not smarter than most teachers.

So, if you're upset about online learning, what's better? To expose the kids and everyone. To spread this virus out more? To have more people unemployed? Considering the circumstances, meetings are still happening. Lessons are being assigned. And you know, most kids would rather be in school.

You're a jerk for attacking teachers at this time. It's a hard profession.

Schools area a business. If they can save money they will do it. There will be other jobs that will open up.

Oh really? What job are the thousands of cafeteria workers going to have? The janitors? Librarians? Bus drivers?

You going to have students get to sports tryouts themselves after “school”? You can eliminate a teacher or two by stuffing more kids in each class. You can have a really awkward car salesmen the next time you pick out your new car. You know, since they didn’t learn social skills. When you go buy your new pickup basketball, the worker will tell you to look it online when you ask them a question.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
So, if you're upset about online learning, what's better? To expose the kids and everyone. To spread this virus out more? To have more people unemployed? Considering the circumstances, meetings are still happening. Lessons are being assigned. And you know, most kids would rather be in school.

You're a jerk for attacking teachers at this time. It's a hard profession.

I am not against online learning at this time nor in the future. If it’s a choice you make for your kids; I would venture to say, an online only school would have a hard time getting students to enroll. Of course I am only talking about K-12.

I was just frustrated at the situation, as I am doing someone else’s job for them, for free. Do you like doing someone’s else’s job for free? Maybe some are working hard, I just don’t like it. Unfortunately, it is the online option right now, as I would not suggest schools of any kind being open right now.

Is the school district going to give me a break on property taxes? Nope. Reimburse me for supplies? Nope. Pitch in for my Internet service? Nope. Parents enrolled their kids in their schools to be taught by teachers, not their own parents. Maybe I should have been more clear about my frustration with the situation.

I am not against online learning at this time nor in the future. If it’s a choice you make for your kids; I would venture to say, an online only school would have a hard time getting students to enroll. Of course I am only talking about K-12.

I was just frustrated at the situation, as I am doing someone else’s job for them, for free. Do you like doing someone’s else’s job for free? Maybe some are working hard, I just don’t like it. Unfortunately, it is the online option right now, as I would not suggest schools of any kind being open right now.

Is the school district going to give me a break on property taxes? Nope. Reimburse me for supplies? Nope. Pitch in for my Internet service? Nope. Parents enrolled their kids in their schools to be taught by teachers, not their own parents. Maybe I should have been more clear about my frustration with the situation.
Okay, so don't pay the teachers for this time? Reimburse you and take money away from teachers who are already working 60 hour weeks? Not getting paid a ton as it is. Is that what you want? You want to furlough the teachers?

Okay, so don't pay the teachers for this time? Reimburse you and take money away from teachers who are already working 60 hour weeks? Not getting paid a ton as it is. Is that what you want? You want to furlough the teachers?

Where did I state that?

Not getting paid a ton? They do okay for themselves, especially since they have summers off, 2 week breaks during Christmas, etc. Stop acting like they’re working 60 hour weeks 52 weeks a year.

Oh really? What job are the thousands of cafeteria workers going to have? The janitors? Librarians? Bus drivers?

You going to have students get to sports tryouts themselves after “school”? You can eliminate a teacher or two by stuffing more kids in each class. You can have a really awkward car salesmen the next time you pick out your new car. You know, since they didn’t learn social skills. When you go buy your new pickup basketball, the worker will tell you to look it online when you ask them a question.

What we learning from this virus. Bunch of jobs are able to do from home. Companies i bet they will be looking more into this. Kids could still be doing sports. They could just join sport clubs. This gives kids the chance to work and go to school at the same time.

Where did I state that?

Not getting paid a ton? They do okay for themselves, especially since they have summers off, 2 week breaks during Christmas, etc. Stop acting like they’re working 60 hour weeks 52 weeks a year.
60 hour weeks, 40 weeks a year. 2,400 hours. Average American worker, 40 hour weeks for 50 weeks. 2,000 hours. That's more than your typical American worker by comfortable margin actually.

And any teacher can say, I believe kickball and dbminer can attest to this. The time off is off and it isn't. Professional development, meetings, class prep.

What we learning from this virus. Bunch of jobs are able to do from home. Companies i bet they will be looking more into this. Kids could still be doing sports. They could just join sport clubs. This gives kids the chance to work and go to school at the same time.

What job is your typical 50+ year old cafeteria worker going to do from home?

60 hour weeks, 40 weeks a year. 2,400 hours. Average American worker, 40 hour weeks for 50 weeks. 2,000 hours. That's more than your typical American worker by comfortable margin actually.

And any teacher can say, I believe kickball and dbminer can attest to this. The time off is off and it isn't. Professional development, meetings, class prep.

I used to be in a long-term relationship with one. They didn’t work 60 hours a week and they did little to no work in the summer. They are still employed as one to this day. Going to staff developments are a joke as well. It’s mostly a chance to hangout and not do your normal job, like when most other professions have off site training.

Also, some of your staff development is not sleeping with your students. Wow, really intensive stuff going on there year after year. I wish my job had “training “ on how to not **** or sext 16 year old students.

I’m a fan of the “flipped classroom” where students listen to lectures/lessons online from the best teachers in the country, then classroom time is spent working on problems and applying the learning.

I do have a clue. One teacher had texted us one time and has had 1 FaceTime session. Why? Because I am the one answering questions while I do my own work. There’s probably a lot of parents out there, who can’t answer questions or have to go to work outside their home. That’s what YOU’RE paid to do. I am not paid to teach my kids school work.

So sorry if you have to answer questions. Isn’t that your ****ing job?
And you only have to deal with your own children. While teachers are dealing with everyone's.

Where did I state that?

I hate to tell you but I have been in teaching for 5 years now and not once have I had a summer off ... matter of fact the last two years I have had to report to training the day after school ended and finished the week before school returned and during that week had to setup the classroom....... and guess what every one of those days went 7:30-5 and I didn’t make one cent from it.... NOT PAID... not to mention study hours for that development... and then you want to talk supplies.... the past two years each year I have spent over 1000 dollars on kids that are not mine!! Why? Because I want the best for them... my hallway spends on average 50 hours a week working and nothing over 40 hours is paid..... and then there is this notion we get paid during the summer... ummm no we don’t.. we have options where we spread out our checks over the whole year so we have money coming in on a regular basis ... So I am sorry don’t want to hear anything negative about teachers

I used to be in a long-term relationship with one. They didn’t work 60 hours a week and they did little to no work in the summer. They are still employed as one to this day. Going to staff developments are a joke as well. It’s mostly a chance to hangout and not do your normal job, like when most other professions have off site training.

Also, some of your staff development is not sleeping with your students. Wow, really intensive stuff going on there year after year. I wish my job had “training “ on how to not **** or sext 16 year old students.

Again ridiculous some trainings are a waste of time but for the most there is a lot to learn and gain ...

I hate to tell you but I have been in teaching for 5 years now and not once have I had a summer off ... matter of fact the last two years I have had to report to training the day after school ended and finished the week before school returned and during that week had to setup the classroom....... and guess what every one of those days went 7:30-5 and I didn’t make one cent from it.... NOT PAID... not to mention study hours for that development... and then you want to talk supplies.... the past two years each year I have spent over 1000 dollars on kids that are not mine!! Why? Because I want the best for them... my hallway spends on average 50 hours a week working and nothing over 40 hours is paid..... and then there is this notion we get paid during the summer... ummm no we don’t.. we have options where we spread out our checks over the whole year so we have money coming in on a regular basis ... So I am sorry don’t want to hear anything negative about teachers

Again, this is my opinion. Your choice to do all that. You can choose another profession. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you’re indeed “stuck working all summer” and aren’t being paid for it, I suggest you file a complaint with your union or the TWC.

You choose to buy supplies. You could take other work during your breaks, such as being an Uber driver, since you’re “underpaid”. Just my two cents.

So you work 12 hours a day Monday-Friday during the school year? What time do you get to school and what time do you leave?

I hate to tell you but I have been in teaching for 5 years now and not once have I had a summer off ... matter of fact the last two years I have had to report to training the day after school ended and finished the week before school returned and during that week had to setup the classroom

What work are you doing during the 3 months of summer vacation?

elearnings are for high turnover positions
Yo RM! Can you expand on this!?! I never gave this much thought, but I can understand this viewpoint. Did you read some study on this or just your own thought?

I think:
Those looking for higher learning, but haven’t made the jump, are going to see how their kids/others are successful at distance learning - and they’ll make the jump to finish their degree.

Someone on here said some online classes are a joke, and some classes/professors are a joke! Contrarily, some of the hardest courses I took (MBA) were online-only.

Again, this is my opinion. Your choice to do all that. You can choose another profession. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you’re indeed “stuck working all summer” and aren’t being paid for it, I suggest you file a complaint with your union or the TWC.

You choose to buy supplies. You could take other work during your breaks, such as being an Uber driver, since you’re “underpaid”. Just my two cents.

I am not complaining about it — you just said we are getting paid for nothing and I refuting that argument.... I know those things are my choice....

interesting question do you favor college athletes getting paid?

Professional development in all subject areas

Professional Development every day for 3 months eight hours a day? What grade do you teach?

I know somebody who teaches high school. She has off most of the summer and takes multiple vacations and doesn't have to go back until a few weeks before school starts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT