ADVERTISEMENT

What do you eat at Sun Bowl and DHC?

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
I haven't been to Sun bowl in a while.Last game I went was when OU came to town. But at Haskins center I like those chips with red salsa con lemon. It's so Spicey for me but it's really good.

I would just wish they would offer a more variety of food options. I know they've put a few food trucks there this season but the new standard has to be what the El Paso Chihuahua's have to offer. The main concession stands have got to offer other choices besides hot dogs/nachos/sausage/etc. and those hot dogs are really sub-par IMO.

Reactions: UTEP05
Nothing but a beer or two. The food at both football and basketball is crap.

The problem is the concessions are leased out. Then, that company leases it out to fund raising organizations. In doing this, the options must be limited.

The Chihuahuas do it differently. They lease out the spots to companies that want to make a buck running their business from there.

If delicious is really gone, I will be sad. Going to a weekday basketball game is made easier by grabbing a burrito there.

I usually eat at Taco Tote on my way to the the SB or DHC. Park at the old Rudolph lot walk to eat some tacos and drink some beers then head over to the game.

Reactions: jdubb66
I would always get a picadillo and brisket burrito from Delicioso, but apparently they will no longer be at the games, that sucks. However, I did notice every year they were raising the prices.

I usually eat at Taco Tote on my way to the the SB or DHC. Park at the old Rudolph lot walk to eat some tacos and drink some beers then head over to the game.
This is what I do. Food at the arenas is not exciting. No "Dig dogs" or "Pick pockets". No Super Nachos or Bacon Double Burgers with Asiago and roasted walnut aioli. Papas Locas, Kettle Korn...meh.

Sometimes I eat a hot dog, but other times I get creative and change it up with a sausage. If I can find the napkin stand I may get Nachos.

This thread is making me sad. The fan experience at FB and BB is a sad reality and microcosm or our whole athletic program. Athletics admin is just going through the motions at this point. No marketing, no food upgrades, no parking,

The problem is the concessions are leased out. Then, that company leases it out to fund raising organizations. In doing this, the options must be limited.

The Chihuahuas do it differently. They lease out the spots to companies that want to make a buck running their business from there.

If delicious is really gone, I will be sad. Going to a weekday basketball game is made easier by grabbing a burrito there.

Not quiet done that way. UTEP does lease it out to a concession company. That company then allows non-profit groups to be put on a list to sell the products. The food is fresh and perfectly fine for concession food. The only draw back is the pop corn. Ask for freshly popped popcorn. When you buy concessions at a UTEP based venue you really are helping out the local non profit group and that's what makes it worth your money and time because the vast majority of those non profit groups are children based groups. The Miracle League is a great example. That coke and hot dog may be a tad pricey, but a percentage goes straight to special needs kids who participate in Miracle League sporting events. It really is a win-win for UTEP and the local charity, so please think of it that way if you could.

Not to pile on, but that's where the Kugler's failures hurt and on the opposite side of the spectrum, an extroverted coach like Mike Price help tremendously. Some call Price tenure a "dumpster fire", I totally disagree! The entire (financial) scope of his tenure at UTEP and El Paso, that did not go directly back to him, goes into the millions and concessions at UTEP was one example (not to mention the local companies he brought in to contribute all sorts of stuff to UTEP). He brought attendance way, way up which brings in hungry (sometimes drunk) fans who plunk that twenty or more for a couple dogs, soda pop and candy. Attendance average rose up to around 35k during his tenure, and some games were well over 40k . Do the math! Those non profit groups did the math (they have too. The concession company makes the NP group balance the money and inventory of their stand at the end of each event) and they were taking home a nice chunk of change, and those that had the best spot did even better. That money goes a long way to a lot of kiddos and high schoolers!

Not quiet done that way. UTEP does lease it out to a concession company. That company then allows non-profit groups to be put on a list to sell the products. The food is fresh and perfectly fine for concession food. The only draw back is the pop corn. Ask for freshly popped popcorn. When you buy concessions at a UTEP based venue you really are helping out the local non profit group and that's what makes it worth your money and time because the vast majority of those non profit groups are children based groups. The Miracle League is a great example. That coke and hot dog may be a tad pricey, but a percentage goes straight to special needs kids who participate in Miracle League sporting events. It really is a win-win for UTEP and the local charity, so please think of it that way if you could.

LOL....that's pretty much what I said. As for the popcorn, as of last year, I would still see them popping it. I won't argue they don't carry it over, but it's not all pre popped.

Anywho, my point was if UTEP leased out the concessions to independent vendors such as Leo's, Burritos Cristosomo, etc. they would have more of an interest in different foods and the quality so they make more money. The way it's done now is great for fund raisers, but horrible for the fans...

I will still end up getting 3 cokes, popcorn, M&Ms, and sometimes nachos.

The last time we ate at a game my wife could not finish the game. She honestly got so sick from the hotdog she threw up from the stadium to the hotel the entire time.

The last time we ate at a game my wife could not finish the game. She honestly got so sick from the hotdog she threw up from the stadium to the hotel the entire time.

I'd like to see how many of those nasty hot dogs Stull could suck down before they came back up.

LOL....that's pretty much what I said. As for the popcorn, as of last year, I would still see them popping it. I won't argue they don't carry it over, but it's not all pre popped.

Anywho, my point was if UTEP leased out the concessions to independent vendors such as Leo's, Burritos Cristosomo, etc. they would have more of an interest in different foods and the quality so they make more money. The way it's done now is great for fund raisers, but horrible for the fans...

I will still end up getting 3 cokes, popcorn, M&Ms, and sometimes nachos.

I'm sorry if I read it wrong but the concession company does not lease it out to the non profit is what I meant.

Here is the racket when buying the food. The non pofit group is at the SB or DHC hours before the event getting ready for event to start because hot dogs, chicken, burgers, nacho cheese sauce, must be hot and ready to go when staff open the doors or gates.

If you see a booth with the actual pop corn maker, then the pop corn is freshly popped that for that even. If you see popcorn being sold but no popcorn maker, don't buy it if you want it fresh, because it did come from the saved popcorn bags that np groups then fill the pop corn boxes up with.

Nachos are a challenge for big name events. Concerts, Monster Trucks Rally, big name opponents bring in the fans and everyone wants those damned nachos. Just ask the vendor if the cheese is hot. Every booth should have one person who responsible for the cheese dispensing because they need to do it fast and satisfactorily. If the cheese is not hot, don't eat it.

Hot dogs are another challenging item at big events. If there are a ton of people, get your dog before you sit; those dogs have been spit roasting on the warmer for a while and should be ready to go. An hour into the largely attended event and you get the munchies (especially Monster Truck events) and you want a dog, you may want to pass. UTEP serves the large franks which take longer to cook and they haven't probably been on there long enough. Some booths are conscientious and wait to there're fully cooked, some don't. Tip, if you still feel you need to eat towards the end of the event and can't wait to drive to Taco Bell, then now is the time to go buy the hot dog. I almost guarantee that those dogs are hot and fully cooked towards the end of the event. Why? The more experienced NP staff pulled an "oops" and put on to many hot dogs on the spit roaster and now they have to get rid of them, "Aw shucks! What are we going to do with all these perfectly cooked hot dogs? In another words, it's their time to eat because at the end of the event they are hungry and tired as hell and want something quick to eat and go home straight to bed.

Churros and funnel cakes are very, very popular and sell out usually. It has to be hot. If you're kid says it not hot, don't let them eat it or ask for hot one. Here is the kicker, the warming contraptions that the concession company utilize to heat up the churros suck and malfunction often. UTEP can't put micros or more powerful heating elements for food, the breakers trip so they use contraptions that use less power to heat up food (same goes for hot dog cookers). If UTEP says that's not true, they're lying and they know they're lying. As discussed previously, the Sun Bowl has a long grey beard and needs upgraded.

Safe bet, go for the cotton candy or packed candy. Use common sense when buying such food like you buy at the convenience store.

Last edited:
Even if he wanted to... I don't have the time to ever eat at a concession at a game and he's probably 10 times more busy than I am so I doubt he'd get the chance.

All I ever see him doing at the games is standing around.

Stull is the boss. Whenever you see a boss "standing around" it's because they have done hours of prep beforehand, and are observing. Don't mistake this as me defending him. I won't ever do that.

Stull is the boss. Whenever you see a boss "standing around" it's because they have done hours of prep beforehand, and are observing. Don't mistake this as me defending him. I won't ever do that.

I get your point and I understand your opinion, but what prep work do you think he does and what do you think he is observing at the games? If he is doing hours of prep work it surely hasn't helped.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Saw him at the volleyball game last night when I was running back from the press table. He was pretty relaxed, which is a good thing. It's actually pretty exhausting doing all of these games (at least for me) and this weekend is worse than most.

Oh well, see you all at the basketball and football games today.

Saw him at the volleyball game last night when I was running back from the press table. He was pretty relaxed, which is a good thing. It's actually pretty exhausting doing all of these games (at least for me) and this weekend is worse than most.

Oh well, see you all at the basketball and football games today.

I don't deny that, but in my opinion he doesn't seem involved at the games. Brad Taylor, GM of the Chihuahuas, is always running around and busy at the games and even helps out the grounds crew. Just comparing the two.

What media outlet do you work for?

Stull sits right in front of me at the basketball games -- doesn't do shit.

2Step.....I stand corrected....popcorn was horrible. No popper to be found.....
No more popcorn for us....

FWIW, half the food vendors were called off earlier in the day as UTEP realized the crowd was going to be sparse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT