ADVERTISEMENT

What will college football look like this year?

Prospero915

Rookie
Nov 16, 2014
I've been just thinking ahead, how do you guys feel this year's college football season will be affected?

Will there even be a college football season on time? (I saw there was some talk about moving the season to the spring.)

Will programs like UTEP be able to have a training camp, where a hundred athletes cram into dorms/hotels?
Will universities even allow students to return to living on campus this fall?

President Trump yesterday says when sports return there will be 2 seats in between fans. Could you imagine this?

Last edited:
I've been just thinking ahead, how do you guys feel this year's college football season will be affected?

Will there even be a college football season on time? (I saw there was some talk about moving the season to the spring.)

Will programs like UTEP be able to have a training camp, where a hundred athletes cram into dorms/hotels?
Will universities even allow students to return to living on campus this fall?

President Trump yesterday says when sports return there will be 2 seats in between fans. Could you imagine this?
Darn. Now nosebleed Cowboy tickets will be $1000 a piece

I think the stadium’s and arenas should allow families to buy a block of seats, then have two empty seats. Tickets sold for every other row.
Concessions delivered to your seat, you have to have a smart phone and university set up the apps.

Well it shouldn't be a problem at UTEP honestly. 15,000 to 20,000 fans would allow space.

But what about players and staff? That's a lot of bodies. All of them in very close contact.

I'm getting antsy to be honest.

Reactions: Prospero915
Apparently the ACC is looking into the possibility of playing the football season in the spring. If they are considering it then likely other conferences are too. Much better chance of a vaccine before then.

Apparently the ACC is looking into the possibility of playing the football season in the spring. If they are considering it then likely other conferences are too. Much better chance of a vaccine before then.

So they’re going to play in the spring versus college basketball and then turn around and return to normal in September 2021? Don’t think so. 24 games in less than 12 months, ain’t gonna fly.

Reactions: NewYorkCityMiner
Well it shouldn't be a problem at UTEP honestly. 15,000 to 20,000 fans would allow space.

But what about players and staff? That's a lot of bodies. All of them in very close contact.

I'm getting antsy to be honest.

I think its really gonna be a huge logistical challenge for any sport to operate, as long as the virus is still around.
This is all way farther down the road, but I could easily see the season being cancelled or postponed.

It will be interesting to see which sport comes back first (NBA, MLB, NFL) and how they go about things.

I think its really gonna be a huge logistical challenge for any sport to operate, as long as the virus is still around.
This is all way farther down the road, but I could easily see the season being cancelled or postponed.

It will be interesting to see which sport comes back first (NBA, MLB, NFL) and how they go about things.
I actually heard golf and tennis are the most feasible. Followed by MLB.

Last edited:
It makes no sense that the fans have to be spaced out 2 seats for social distancing but in a sport like football, it is ok for players to be piled on top of each other after a tackle or fumble???? IMO, sports will not be played until the fans can sit next to each other. You can't take measures to keep the fans safe, but not the players. If the fans have to social distance, the players have to social distance as well.

So they’re going to play in the spring versus college basketball and then turn around and return to normal in September 2021? Don’t think so. 24 games in less than 12 months, ain’t gonna fly.
And what is going to happen with the NFL Draft??? The Draft would be held in like late June or July depending on if they decide to shorten the college football season. If there is no NFL season this season, there will be no spring college football season.

It makes no sense that the fans have to be spaced out 2 seats for social distancing but in a sport like football, it is ok for players to be piled on top of each other after a tackle or fumble???? IMO, sports will not be played until the fans can sit next to each other. You can't take measures to keep the fans safe, but not the players. If the fans have to social distance, the players have to social distance as well.

Counterpoint. It’s a lot easier to “quarantine” 100 players/coaches at Syracuse, than the 50,000 fans attending.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
There's a part of me that says, screw it, let's go.

But then again, imagine we have a football season where 5 players die on the field. It would be considered the most tragic season of all time.

If there's no cure. Players and coaches will catch it and then it's pretty random about who shrugs off the disease and.who gets really sick.

And what is going to happen with the NFL Draft??? The Draft would be held in like late June or July depending on if they decide to shorten the college football season. If there is no NFL season this season, there will be no spring college football season.

That would be another issue with spring college football. Maybe the draft is later, no big deal, but again, the rookies that make the team might play 28 games in 12 months!

There's a part of me that says, screw it, let's go.

But then again, imagine we have a football season where 5 players die on the field. It would be considered the most tragic season of all time.

If there's no cure. Players and coaches will catch it and then it's pretty random about who shrugs off the disease and.who gets really sick.

How are 5 players going to die on the field from COVID-19? Someone is more likely to die from a hit or tackle.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Yes, but the 100 players/coaches won't be practicing and playing games for 14 days while quarantining. Syracuse won't be playing in their upcoming game.

Thats not what I meant. You could keep the players and coaches in a hotel and relatively monitor their contact with others. You can’t do that with fans. If you’re practicing with people that don’t have the virus, you’re not going to get it from them.

Thats not what I meant. You could keep the players and coaches in a hotel and relatively monitor their contact with others. You can’t do that with fans. If you’re practicing with people that don’t have the virus, you’re not going to get it from them.
So you're saying the players are going to be kept in hotels and have their contact with others closely monitored for the entire season???

How are 5 players going to die on the field from COVID-19? Someone is more likely to die from a hit or tackle.
They wouldn't die on the field, but they'd die from Covid, later in the hospital.

The point I'm making is we wouldn't be okay with players dying so we could be entertained.

So you're saying the players are going to be kept in hotels and have their contact with others closely monitored for the entire season???

I’m just saying that it’s easier to keep eyes on 100 people than all the random fans at a football game. Your concern was guys tackling each other and getting it.

The sooner we can get an accurate IGG test to show immunity the better, but things may not get up to speed again until there is a vaccine.

I’m just saying that it’s easier to keep eyes on 100 people than all the random fans at a football game. Your concern was guys tackling each other and getting it.
It’s not just 100 people. It’s everyone in the league. Every team has 100 people.

Hopefully by the time football season starts they will have the test that take 5 minutes.
Teams will be tested frequently, with temperatures taken everyday.
Football could start later, maybe in December to make sure it doesn’t come back with a vengeance in September.
This all depends on science finding a treatment and a vaccine.
Bottom line is life is going to have to carry on, we cannot become zombies. To all the doom sayers I’m in my 60’s with diabetes, and have to go into public everyday. I take precautions and put my faith in God to watch over myself and my family.

Why are people in such a god damned hurry? Sports will come back when it's prudent for it to come back. Some of you sound like a couple we know complaining about not being able to go to their favorite watering hole. Hasn't even been a month here in NV.

Why are people in such a god damned hurry? Sports will come back when it's prudent for it to come back. Some of you sound like a couple we know complaining about not being able to go to their favorite watering hole. Hasn't even been a month here in NV.

It's all about money. Sports need to be played for teams to survive.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Not only teams, think of all the side business surrounding sports.
I’ve already saved a few hundred dollars without sporting events. I had planned an El Paso road trip for the Locomotive home opener and there was another soccer game in Dallas I was going to attend in late March.

I’ve already saved a few hundred dollars without sporting events. I had planned an El Paso road trip for the Locomotive home opener and there was another soccer game in Dallas I was going to attend in late March.

Did you already buy tickets for those events?

The sports leagues better be careful how they handle this. Your Locomotive ticket for a Saturday game will now be played Tuesday morning so the Chihuahuas can play a doubleheader that night. No refunds!!! It’s going to be extremely difficult to fit all of these events in and refusing to give refunds now is real shitty.

They could kill their future ticket buying customers. As they will know that if something similar happens again, your money will just be held hostage like they’re doing now. You can still buy tickets to Diamondback games on Ticketmaster for early May. We know those events aren’t happening on that day, but they’re still trying to con people into buying them.

Reactions: JCorona

The sports leagues better be careful how they handle this. Your Locomotive ticket for a Saturday game will now be played Tuesday morning so the Chihuahuas can play a doubleheader that night. No refunds!!! It’s going to be extremely difficult to fit all of these events in and refusing to give refunds now is real shitty.

They could kill their future ticket buying customers. As they will know that if something similar happens again, your money will just be held hostage like they’re doing now. You can still buy tickets to Diamondback games on Ticketmaster for early May. We know those events aren’t happening on that day, but they’re still trying to con people into buying them.
That was a crazy week. I lost out on the CUSA Tournament and Locomotive tickets. I had bought the CUSA tickets on Black Friday at half off so I wasn’t too worried about it. Wednesday night I couldn’t get off work in time to make the game vs Marshall. If they would have beat Marshall then I was going to drive to Dallas and catch the game vs La Tech on Thursday. Win that one and I would have stayed for the Friday game vs WKU. Win that one and of course I would stay for the championship and blow off the Saturday soccer game in El Paso. Thankfully the Miners made everything easy for me by losing on Wednesday night. I hadn’t bought the tickets for the Mexico vs Greece soccer game in Dallas yet.

If it's any consolation, our defense has been playing with social distancing restrictions for years, so maybe we'll have an edge over everyone else.
Ouch.
giphy.gif

The Chihuahuas will give you refunds if you contact them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT