ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you want as UTEP OC and DC

[QUOTE="Roy_Bigwood_05, post: 164200, member: 3545"

It’s a long shot, but it shows how bad the program is when no names were leaked, did UTEP even try to reach out Charlie Strong? Did Dimel ask for a bigger assistant coach salary pool? Or did he do the cheap thing and hire old friends?
You guys are crazy. LOL... did we even try and reach out to Charlie Strong. Charlie would have broken ribs from laughing so hard after UTEP calls him to see if he would like to be their new DC.
[/QUOTE]

He's going to be coaching with Urban Meyer and Jacksonville.

UTEP should only hire Hispanics from now on and not just any Hispanic. They should only hire Hispanics specifically of Mexican heritage. That will ensure full athletic venues and athletic success.

UTEP should also only recruit athletes of Mexican heritage because El Paso will then love the UTEP athletic teams.
Well, Rich Rodriguez claims heritage from Spain so......

So here's two initial concerns that I see:

1.) Dimel says in the release: ""Dave is going to be a great communicator for our offense and quarterbacks." That doesn't sound like Dimel will be handing him the offense, that quote sounds more like Dimel will still be running the offense and Dave will be the puppet just communicating the plays, the same way that Canales was.

2.) One of the biggest red flags with Canales, was that when you looked at his resume, he had a long resume, but for the majority of his resume, he was on a lot of offenses that finished very poorly in the offensive standings. UTEP again mentions all of Dave's coaching history in the release, but listed very few references to successful production, so I went back to the last 3 years that he was Co-OC at Michigan State and here is what they produced:

2018- Michigan State finished with the 126th total offense in America. UTEP finished that year at #127.

2017- Michigan State finished with the 96th total offense in America.

2016 - Michigan State finished with the 104th total offense in America. By comparison, UTEP finished that year substantially better at #85.
He must have had a little magic along the way. You didn't mention that he called plays for the 2014 Mich St team that set offensive records for the school or that the offense scored well his first 3 years there, 2013 thru 2015 or that every year minus 1 his team had winning seasons and went bowling, winning most of those including the Rose and Cotton bowls. He may not make a difference for the Miner offense but then again he might.

Reactions: EMA884
His total offense production at Michigan State was:

2013- #62
2014- #7
2015- #60
2016- #104
2017- #96
2018- #126.

The first 3 years he had a very solid average finish of #43. The final 3 years had a very poor average finish of #109. Maybe the better question is what happened after the first 3 years?

This is the final judgement year for Dimel and he apparently wants to go down running things his way, so I hope it works. I have always thought that an offense based on some variation of the power running game is best way to have consistent and legitimate success, especially when the weather changes towards the second half of the season. But at the end of the day, I don’t care what offense we run as long as it works and as we have already covered numerous times and with numerous metrics, Dimel’s offense just hasn’t been effective enough to win thus far. This OC announcement basically just ensures that we are going to mostly stay the course on offense. We’ll see how it works out.

2013- #62
2014- #7
2015- #60
2016- #104
2017- #96
2018- #126.

The first 3 years he had a very solid average finish of #43. The final 3 years had a very poor average finish of #109. Maybe the better question is what happened after the first 3 years?

This is the final judgement year for Dimel and he apparently wants to go down running things his way, so I hope it works. I have always thought that an offense based on some variation of the power running game is best way to have consistent and legitimate success, especially when the weather changes towards the second half of the season. But at the end of the day, I don’t care what offense we run as long as it works and as we have already covered numerous times and with numerous metrics, Dimel’s offense just hasn’t been effective enough to win thus far. This OC announcement basically just ensures that we are going to mostly stay the course on offense. We’ll see how it works out.
True enough that we will have to wait and see. When this thread started I had hopes of an OC like David Yost but obviously that didn't happen. I hope the Miners are successful next season but while these coordinator hires could still work, they do nothing to add excitement or anticipation for the season.

Lets get all forms of payment bitcoins, peso's, dollars, credit cards, and take them to SFA and purchase their football staff along with their athletic director. Those boys are making noise and building a lot of excitement, lets buy them.

Lets get all forms of payment bitcoins, peso's, dollars, credit cards, and take them to SFA and purchase their football staff along with their athletic director. Those boys are making noise and building a lot of excitement, lets buy them.

What are they doing?

We could have had them three years ago. Carthell applied and lobbied for the job.

It’s just eternal hope. Every fan no matter the team believes that next year their team is going to be good if not great.
How many Cowboy fans believe they are going to the super bowl every off season.
If you don’t have that hope why would you be a fan.

It’s just eternal hope. Every fan no matter the team believes that next year their team is going to be good if not great.
I so agree with this. Guilty as charged!

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
I don't really consider a bunch of home wins over d2 teams as exciting.

It's as if Dimel had beat 5 fcs eams and 1 fbs team and all of a sudden we want to believe the program has turned the corner.
My judgement isn't over wins/losses, I get on here and its only gloom and despair. Just saying they are creating an atmosphere that's positive. The AD appears to be very effective and its hard to find any negative comments regarding that guy. When DD and his ol' buddies get their last hoorah, lets not go after guys that aren't wanted. Get people that want to be at UTEP because its a goal they have and not some place to work for 3 years. If not that bunch find another hungry crew. Yes we pulled out a victory over a bunch of sophomores, but I don't know if it would happen again

The AD appears to be very effective and its hard to find any negative comments regarding that guy.

Apologies if I missed something in a post prior to yours but are you talking about Senter? Effective? No negative comments about him on 'digs? Are we reading the same 'digs?

He's talking about the SFA ad.

Everything you mentioned sounds good but very familiar to the hiring of Senter, Dimel and Terry. How much excitement did we have in the beginning? Everyone seemed to love Senter and waz happy with the hire. Most of us were reserved with Dimel but we were excited about the recruiting he started pulling in. We thought we had found the answer with Terry. Everyone wanted to be here.

Let's see how much joy there's at SFA if those d2 wins don't translate to success next year.

Reactions: Lil_Train

Thats simply not true. Do you think New England Patriot fans believed Cam Newton was going to replace Tom Brady with ease? Do you think most Bulls fans think they were getting #7 after Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson left? Do you really think Jets fans believe they’re making the playoffs next season?

Only dumb fans think that way. The ones that paint their faces, clear their schedule for every game and get really upset after losses. Those fans are the dumb ones thinking Cam is better than Brady and so on.

How many Miner fans do you think were like “bowl game in year 1” when Dimel got hired? Next to none I would imagine.

Thats simply not true. Do you think New England Patriot fans believed Cam Newton was going to replace Tom Brady with ease? Do you think most Bulls fans think they were getting #7 after Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson left? Do you really think Jets fans believe they’re making the playoffs next season?

Only dumb fans think that way. The ones that paint their faces, clear their schedule for every game and get really upset after losses. Those fans are the dumb ones thinking Cam is better than Brady and so on.

How many Miner fans do you think were like “bowl game in year 1” when Dimel got hired? Next to none I would imagine.

You always leave out the “hope” part, Mr. literal. It’s hope more than belief. I would imagine Dmanminer didn’t think UTEP was gonna win any championships this year. I would imagine he hoped they would though. I won’t go as far as to say you’re not a Miner fan, but I don’t think I’m alone in that I still can’t see it.

Honest question. And I won’t question it after you answer. In what way would you say you’re a fan? What defines YOUR fandom?

Reactions: Lil_Train
You always leave out the “hope” part, Mr. literal. It’s hope more than belief. I would imagine Dmanminer didn’t think UTEP was gonna win any championships this year. I would imagine he hoped they would though. I won’t go as far as to say you’re not a Miner fan, but I don’t think I’m alone in that I still can’t see it.

Honest question. And I won’t question it after you answer. In what way would you say you’re a fan? What defines YOUR fandom?

That’s not what he said. He said “every fan BELIEVES that next year is the year”. Believe is different than hope, yes?

What defines my fandom? Well I watch or listen to the games I am able to. I buy merchandise of the teams I like at one point or another. I interact with their social media accounts. I go to games of such teams when I desire to.

Again I do not BELIEVE (his words) that Dismel and Terry are going to win stuff here. I HOPE they do.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
That’s not what he said. He said “every fan BELIEVES that next year is the year”. Believe is different than hope, yes?

What defines my fandom? Well I watch or listen to the games I am able to. I buy merchandise of the teams I like at one point or another. I interact with their social media accounts. I go to games of such teams when I desire to.

Again I do not BELIEVE (his words) that Dismel and Terry are going to win stuff here. I HOPE they do.
Fair enough.

Not in reference to your fandom, but you’re only part right. His opening line he calls it “eternal hope”, then progresses into calling it belief. Again, I bet he didn’t “believe” UTEP was gonna win a CUSA championship but I bet he “hoped” we would. Maybe even thought we had a chance in bb. Maybe I’m wrong about that.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Fair enough.

Not in reference to your fandom, but you’re only part right. His opening line he calls it “eternal hope”, then progresses into calling it belief. Again, I bet he didn’t “believe” UTEP was gonna win a CUSA championship but I bet he “hoped” we would. Maybe even thought we had a chance in bb. Maybe I’m wrong about that.

That’s fine and probably the case. I’m just saying “most” fans don’t think their team is winning it all every year. That’s just unrealistic, especially if you like teams that are generally not good and have been historically bad.

Your right, I should have used hope instead.
I still stand with my statement as why we are fans. Why would you go to a game hoping your team is going to loose. When I go to the games I usually know I’m leaving either disappointed or worse pissed off. But walking into the sun bowl or the Don l’m HOPING for a win.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
garbage in, garbage out

i expect Senter will announce Dimel’s contract extension soon as well as Kuglers appointment as UTEPS passing coordinator

reminds me to bypass football season tickets this year and buy a new smoker

Last edited:
I’ll be surprised if we hav a winning season! I guess our coaches don’t realize we are in 2021, still coaching in the 60’s

Reactions: FedupMiner
According to article, Dimel will still call plays. Not sure if that had been reported yet but woof.

I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say that I don’t know if I agree with that. If Dimel is still calling plays then what has truly changed? As a HC I’m sure you have enough responsibility during a game, I don’t know if it’s wise to try and work out an offensive game plan during a game.

Has anyone seen "balanced attack" anywhere? Did he leave with FRONT CHIH? Last I heard a hobo downtown said he say him entering a Greyhound bus in Van Horn back in 2012 heading south.

Don't give me this bullhockey it's easier to recruit to smaller mid majors with run oriented offenses. Many CUSA schools run effective balanced offenses.

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas

2013- #62
2014- #7
2015- #60
2016- #104
2017- #96
2018- #126.

Dimel's offense is run first RPO, Pistol offense. He ran it against UTEP a few years ago over and over.

It was pissing off KSU something awful as it struggled with top tier Big XII team defenses. Snyder was hoping his King James Bible had an out for Dimel. [UTEP pushing open swing doors] "We'll hire him, and guarantee 5 years!".

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I'm taking a sip of the orange Kool-aid. Its ok if I'm the only one. UTEP will be enough better this coming season to go bowling. They will win the NM bowl. You heard it here 1st.

We should have a pretty good idea if you're right by the end of March. I like where your heads at though!

I actually liked what both coordinators had to say. It was obvious to me that the OC clearly recognizes specific areas that must be improved upon which is a breath of fresh air from an “all positive, everything is good” type outlook. If you read between the lines he views Hardison as a real work-in-progress QB that although has talent and arm strength is very much unpolished at this time. I got the vibe that he is going to drill areas that this team must clean up and improve upon.
The DC seems like a great coach to play for and I enjoyed his positivity. I can see the defense rallying behind him and putting forth lots of effort for the guy. Word is that many players weren’t exactly fond of Cox, so perhaps Peveto can make a difference in that regard.
Like MinerinWisconsin, I feel good about the upcoming season and expect to see some strides made towards achieving 5 or more wins. Both coordinators stated that there is definitely some talent on the team, it just needs work for these guys to realize some results.

I actually liked what both coordinators had to say. It was obvious to me that the OC clearly recognizes specific areas that must be improved upon which is a breath of fresh air from an “all positive, everything is good” type outlook. If you read between the lines he views Hardison as a real work-in-progress QB that although has talent and arm strength is very much unpolished at this time. I got the vibe that he is going to drill areas that this team must clean up and improve upon.
The DC seems like a great coach to play for and I enjoyed his positivity. I can see the defense rallying behind him and putting forth lots of effort for the guy. Word is that many players weren’t exactly fond of Cox, so perhaps Peveto can make a difference in that regard.
Like MinerinWisconsin, I feel good about the upcoming season and expect to see some strides made towards achieving 5 or more wins. Both coordinators stated that there is definitely some talent on the team, it just needs work for these guys to realize some results.

The concern for me is that Dimel is still calling the plays. If that’s the case I would assume that the offensive system is not changing. Is that necessarily a good thing? I don’t think so. But on the other hand, Hankins will be a year older more adjusted to the college game. If Wadley can come back UTEP could have one of the better backfields in C-USA. But the O-line needs to step up and Hardison has to take that next step because he’s also got two very good WRs returning. Defensively the one saving grace we have is that we have Praise Amaewhule. We need to keep that kid wrapped in bubble wrap during the week because if he gets hurt it can all go to hell because we haven’t had a kid with that much potential on the D-Line in a long time. 10 plus sacks is an attainable goal and anyone here can chime in but I don’t know if we will have anyone else get more than 3 as usual.

The comment was made that there will probably only be 12 Seniors on the roster next year, so if they can show tangible improvement this year then we might have a chance at an upward trend the following year as well.

Our new OC made a comment along the lines of stating that our offensive talent should have produced more than it did last year. That basically summarizes all of our concerns regarding Dimel running the offense. As mentioned above, will the new coordinator change have any impact on production with Dimel still running the offense?, or will it continue to underperform?

I understand the love for Praise, and he is one of best players, but I actually feel like Stewart is our best d-lineman. With Stewart, Praise, and Moss I honestly think we have one of our better d-lines in a long time and they are our best defensive unit. Our new DC stated that we are going to play 4 down lineman(which I like), but we need to find that high quality DE who can become our 4th d-lineman. I believe that JT has the best chance to become that player, but he was a bit underwhelming last year. I guess the hope is that last year was his transition year from JC, so maybe he can produce more now that he has that year already under his belt

Our LB's last year were nothing special, but with that being said I actually think that Dimel has possibly built a decent group here. The size and athleticism on both our D-line and LB's are both upgrades from when Dimel first got here. Forester won't be back, but the hope is that we can upgrade his spot at least based on size and speed. I think Hayward, Knight, and Theard have the potential to form decent LB group after they all had their first year adjustment last season. They will all need to take a step forward though.

At RB, I have not heard or read Fields name, when projecting next seasons RB group. Respectfully, that would be welcome news, as Hankins, Awatt, Eldridge and possibly Wadley(if healthy) have enough quality to obsorb all of the carries.

At the end of the day, Dimel's first game is an absolute must win, so he is now in a position where there is no other acceptable metric that he can be graded on. Beat NMSU and he can then work towards accomplishing some other signs of improvement. Lose to NMSU and his show is over, unless he is held through the end of the season and puts up some type of magical season ending run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT