ADVERTISEMENT

Who Does CUSA Add?

If WKU/MT leave to MAC like rumored (thus leaving CUSA no chance to refill spots and possibly dissolve), will UTEP still get exit fees?

Actually, throughout history, do departing schools actually pay exit fees or are they negotiated down?
If we can't find four out of the 125 FCS teams to move up then CUSA will disband. We lose out on the 33+ million exit fees, we would no longer receive the 1.4-2+ million playoffs distribution and we would be at the mercy of other schools to schedule us.

If WKU/MT leave to MAC like rumored (thus leaving CUSA no chance to refill spots and possibly dissolve), will UTEP still get exit fees?

Actually, throughout history, do departing schools actually pay exit fees or are they negotiated down?
No, there wouldn't exist a conference known as CUSA anymore.

i thought Hawaii was indy. fine just replace Hawaii with another Western team.Utep is the one that has to travel the farthest in CUSA. Have you noticed since being in CUSA utep hasnt recruited the south east. They still recruit out west. Utep needs to stay west.
I appreciate how you say "everyone here is clueless" but you had no idea that Hawaii is in a conference (and have been for some time) or that Idaho isn't even an FBS school anymore. Buy yeah, everyone else is clueless.

Point is you don't know anything more than we do. Your only purpose is to shit on anything that might mean CUSA continues existing.

If you're lumping us in with Fili's ideas then you're dumber than we thought. I don't take those seriously.

Some of them are from the CUSA board and other just make too much sense that we're all thinking them.
I actually do know more. I actually know about these teams and will research them before spouting out “they would be a great add for CUSA!” Last year, we talked about going Independent and your rebuttals were, “these teams suck and the current CUSA schools are names”. Now, you’re “Sam Houston and Jacksonville would be good additions”. So suddenly playing those teams are acceptable and missing games with the names like “Old Dominion and Southern Miss” is no big deal. Since CUSA is “rumored” to add Tarleton St and Liberty. Who I suggested we play last year.

None of these FCS teams are able or willing to join “CUSA” at the blink of an eye. They need to do studies and get a lot more money in less than 2 years to join with UTEP, FIU, and LaTech. And like a small possibility WKU and MTSU.

That’s why no one is committing to CUSA. They don’t have the teams. Nobody wants to send their olympic teams to El Paso and Miami. It’s just not financially a smart idea. Especially when CUSA will be lucky to get “$10” in a media deal.

I appreciate how you say "everyone here is clueless" but you had no idea that Hawaii is in a conference (and have been for some time) or that Idaho isn't even an FBS school anymore. Buy yeah, everyone else is clueless.
He also had UMass as a full member and his suggestions for downtown El Paso are something a child or very delusional person would think of.

I actually do know more. I actually know about these teams and will research them before spouting out “they would be a great add for CUSA!” Last year, we talked about going Independent and your rebuttals were, “these teams suck and the current CUSA schools are names”. Now, you’re “Sam Houston and Jacksonville would be good additions”. So suddenly playing those teams are acceptable and missing games with the names like “Old Dominion and Southern Miss” is no big deal. Since CUSA is “rumored” to add Tarleton St and Liberty. Who I suggested we play last year.

None of these FCS teams are able or willing to join “CUSA” at the blink of an eye. They need to do studies and get a lot more money in less than 2 years to join with UTEP, FIU, and LaTech. And like a small possibility WKU and MTSU.

That’s why no one is committing to CUSA. They don’t have the teams. Nobody wants to send their olympic teams to El Paso and Miami. It’s just not financially a smart idea. Especially when CUSA will be lucky to get “$10” in a media deal.
You have no idea what internal discussions those teams are having. Googling their stadium size doesn't make you an expert.

How much are they making right now in media deals? I imagine it's around $10.

I know for a fact they're not making money from the playoffs distribution. The payout will only increase if it's expanded to 8 or 12 teams. That alone makes up any money they could ever make in an FCS league. Also they would be able to schedule road games vs P5 teams and make 1.5 million instead of 300k or nothing since it's rare nowadays for a P5 team to schedule an FCS school.

You have no idea what internal discussions those teams are having. Googling their stadium size doesn't make you an expert.

How much are they making right now in media deals? I imagine it's around $10.

I know for a fact they're not making money from the playoffs distribution. The payout will only increase if it's expanded to 8 or 12 teams. That alone makes up any money they could ever make in an FCS league. Also they would be able to schedule road games vs P5 teams and make 1.5 million instead of 300k or nothing since it's rare nowadays for a P5 team to schedule an FCS school.
Look dude, it’s this simple. If you’re running a business with 14 employees and then 6 leave all of a sudden, when probably only expected 2 or 4 to leave, that’s not good. You’re down to 8 employees. You should probably hire somebody ASAP. Then another one leaves. Still don’t hire someone. Then another. No hiring done. Then another one. Still haven’t hired 1 to replace any of the initial 6. You kinda have to start to worry about your company’s outlook or business acumen.

When all you hear is bad news, it’s a smart idea to put out some good news. Which they haven’t, because they don’t have any. Not any olympic only adds like Texas Arlington or Little Rock, not even NMSU. It’s not like you can claim geography issues with some school in Alaska. There’s no reason not to add any of those schools. Except that the time is ticking on CUSA.

Look dude, it’s this simple. If you’re running a business with 14 employees and then 6 leave all of a sudden, when probably only expected 2 or 4 to leave, that’s not good. You’re down to 8 employees. You should probably hire somebody ASAP. Then another one leaves. Still don’t hire someone. Then another. No hiring done. Then another one. Still haven’t hired 1 to replace any of the initial 6. You kinda have to start to worry about your company’s outlook or business acumen.

When all you hear is bad news, it’s a smart idea to put out some good news. Which they haven’t, because they don’t have any. Not any olympic only adds like Texas Arlington or Little Rock, not even NMSU. It’s not like you can claim geography issues with some school in Alaska.
Not really the same as employee's leaving. I get the logic but in this case, they gave their notice and gotta stick around for over a year and a half before they leave. They also gotta fork over some wages on the way out.

I doubt we hear much until the WKU/MTSU dust settles. Potential aren't aren't going to be eager to commit until they know what they're getting into.

When all you hear is bad news, it’s a smart idea to put out some good news. Which they haven’t, because they don’t have any. Not any olympic only adds like Texas Arlington or Little Rock, not even NMSU. It’s not like you can claim geography issues with some school in Alaska. There’s no reason not to add any of those schools. Except that the time is ticking on CUSA.
If your business would make 30+ million dollars if it could hire 4 employees would you try to do it? Nevermind I know you would just throw in the towel and say oh well. I would post on Craigslist, interview homeless people on the streets and do whatever I have to do to keep the business open and collect the money.

If your business would make 30+ million dollars if it could hire 4 employees would you try to do it? Nevermind I know you would just throw in the towel and say oh well. I would post on Craigslist, interview homeless people on the streets and do whatever I have to do to keep the business open and collect the money.
I wouldn’t be going a month without adding someone. No reason why NMSU shouldn’t have been added the next day after the 6 left. Again, there’s a reason why they haven’t and it’s not because “they don’t have an offer”.

Not really the same as employee's leaving. I get the logic but in this case, they gave their notice and gotta stick around for over a year and a half before they leave. They also gotta fork over some wages on the way out.

I doubt we hear much until the WKU/MTSU dust settles. Potential aren't aren't going to be eager to commit until they know what they're getting into.
Yes, not exactly the same, as most people don’t put in a 88 week notices. Point is, the longer you go without “hiring” someone, the more incompetent and stupid you look.

And spot on, on your last sentence. If NMSU won’t even join CUSA, that’s all you need to know.

I wouldn’t be going a month without adding someone. No reason why NMSU shouldn’t have been added the next day after the 6 left. Again, there’s a reason why they haven’t and it’s not because “they don’t have an offer”.
Lol it has been 10 days since the 6 left and a couple of days since the other 3 left, not a month. You're right there's a reason. First we were waiting on Marshall and ODU and now we're waiting on WKU/MTSU. Once all the dust settles CUSA will pick which geographic region works best for everyone interested.

Yes, not exactly the same, as most people don’t put in a 88 week notices. Point is, the longer you go without “hiring” someone, the more incompetent and stupid you look.

And spot on, on your last sentence. If NMSU won’t even join CUSA, that’s all you need to know.

You have no clue what's happening behind the scenes, you make way too many assumptions.

Lol it has been 10 days since the 6 left and a couple of days since the other 3 left, not a month. You're right there's a reason. First we were waiting on Marshall and ODU and now we're waiting on WKU/MTSU. Once all the dust settles CUSA will pick which geographic region works best for everyone interested.
You’re right. When the media reported the 6 were leaving, Senter and Judy, were all, “this is fake news, we will wait until it’s officially announced. No need to start replacing them now.”

By then all of them had been mentioned as possibilities, maybe not ALL 6 at once, but those 6. Southern Miss has been talked about going to the Sun Belt for longer than that.

I guess the SBC can add teams in quick order, but CUSA needs to wait for official announcements to start replacing them?

You’re right. When the media reported the 6 were leaving, Senter and Judy, were all, “this is fake news, we will wait until it’s officially announced. No need to start replacing them now.”

By then all of them had been mentioned as possibilities, maybe not ALL 6 at once, but those 6. Southern Miss has been talked about going to the Sun Belt for longer than that.

I guess the SBC can add teams in quick order, but CUSA needs to wait for official announcements to start replacing them?
Media reported it the day this thread was created on 10/18 and it was confirmed 3 days later.

Yes SB can easily add teams from a sinking ship. CUSA can't add teams until the teams coming know exactly who's here.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
People here are still clueless. Nobody knows whats going to happen.

This may not go down as smoothly as well all think. ESPN is likely behind these "moves" in an attempt to tie up TV inventory. If there is evidence that they are colluding to destroy CUSA in an attempt to eliminate the monetary responsibilities of departing schools or shifting resources to favored conferences UTEP, LATech and FIU may have a legal claim as they have been "harmed" in these conference moves. You never know all the legal angles to this and there may be legal recourse for CUSA.

Looks like at least the writer is anxious for an invite to cusa for nmsu.

When cusa is down to the "3 amigos" as Corona dubbed them, if nmsu accepts an invite then we know the rebuild is on because they wouldn't join if they weren't being told of others willing to come. We should start getting positive news in about a week if that's the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
This may not go down as smoothly as well all think. ESPN is likely behind these "moves" in an attempt to tie up TV inventory. If there is evidence that they are colluding to destroy CUSA in an attempt to eliminate the monetary responsibilities of departing schools or shifting resources to favored conferences UTEP, LATech and FIU may have a legal claim as they have been "harmed" in these conference moves. You never know all the legal angles to this and there may be legal recourse for CUSA.
If someone at cusa got ahold of incriminating info out of espn, it could be worth a ton of money. Perhaps a few emails, voicemails, etc. directing the demise of cusa.

Looks like at least the writer is anxious for an invite to cusa for nmsu.

When cusa is down to the "3 amigos" as Corona dubbed them, if nmsu accepts an invite then we know the rebuild is on because they wouldn't join if they weren't being told of others willing to come. We should start getting positive news in about a week if that's the case.
Assuming it's down to us 3, imo this is the perfect time for FCS schools to move up. They'll be in a conference with four FCS calls up and 3 historically bad FBS programs. LT seems to be trending down a bit too. Any of those four FCS teams can step in and start winning conference titles from day one.

i thought Hawaii was indy. fine just replace Hawaii with another Western team.Utep is the one that has to travel the farthest in CUSA. Have you noticed since being in CUSA utep hasnt recruited the south east. They still recruit out west. Utep needs to stay west.
That’s not true at all. Price had some from Florida and I’m not referring to Lorne Sam. Kugler recruited the east coast and had one recruit from Wisconsin. Dimel recruits southeast JUCO’s.

I'm not subscribing to this but would like to know what he knows.

I'm not subscribing to this but would like to know what he knows.

So what happens with Conference USA?
As of right this second, there are still five schools in Conference USA: Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, and UTEP. I'm told that even now, conference officials are optimistic about keeping that group of five together for now, even though they realize that will be difficult if the MAC decides they're interested in WKU/MTSU.

On Friday, I was hearing that the league's hope was to expand to get to ten schools. They would do this by retaining the core five, adding New Mexico State, Liberty, UConn, and then two FCS programs.

As of now, I believe it will be very difficult for the league to pull that particular lineup off. I'm told that Liberty is not completely off the table for now, but that C-USA's ability to recruit them took a major hit after Marshall announced they would, in fact, depart for the Sun Belt.

Reactions: JCorona
So what happens with Conference USA?
As of right this second, there are still five schools in Conference USA: Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, and UTEP. I'm told that even now, conference officials are optimistic about keeping that group of five together for now, even though they realize that will be difficult if the MAC decides they're interested in WKU/MTSU.

On Friday, I was hearing that the league's hope was to expand to get to ten schools. They would do this by retaining the core five, adding New Mexico State, Liberty, UConn, and then two FCS programs.

As of now, I believe it will be very difficult for the league to pull that particular lineup off. I'm told that Liberty is not completely off the table for now, but that C-USA's ability to recruit them took a major hit after Marshall announced they would, in fact, depart for the Sun Belt.
Thank you.. Basically the same shit we all knew last week.

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
He also expects the WAC to vote in either UIW or McNeese tomorrow. Maybe both. Really doubt McNeese would be messing around with joining the WAC if they’re considering CUSA and FBS.

There you go. Let's see how desirable CUSA is for FCS schools... or else we're looking at Independence.

There you go. Let's see how desirable CUSA is for FCS schools... or else we're looking at Independence.
Groves is saying NMSU and several others might join CUSA as football only. Not sure the conference could last as football only unless they add a bunch of schools that would join just for olympic sports. If that's the case, it would almost be better for UTEP to try and get in the WAC for Olymics as well, and then both NMSU and UTEP join completely when they make the FBS move.

Groves is saying NMSU and several others might join CUSA as football only. Not sure the conference could last as football only unless they add a bunch of schools that would join just for olympic sports. If that's the case, it would almost be better for UTEP to try and get in the WAC for Olymics as well, and then both NMSU and UTEP join completely when they make the FBS move.

Makes no sense for CUSA to add football only schools. I think it's an editing mistake. Plus supposedly UCONN already said no. Other than the WKU/MTSU to MAC info how reliable is Brett's article?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
CUSA wouldn’t be a FBS conference without 8 all sports members. NMSU and those schools do nothing as football only members with only 3 full schools. Like I have been saying, even Liberty and NMSU don’t want to join for all sports, or really anyone else. They know it’s unsustainable long term, risking burning bridges. ConferenceDOA now.

Once NMSU officially turns down CUSA then it's dead. Until then I believe that NMSU and four FCS schools will join.

This isn’t official. All CUSA needs to do is this:
UTEP
LaTech
FIU
WKU
MTSU-they’re not officially gone, they will recruit for us in the meantime

Add:
Hawaii
Idaho
Idaho St
Northern Colorado
University of the Southwest
Southwest University
Eastern New Mexico
Western New Mexico
UConn - all sports
UMass - all sports
UNewHamp
UVermont
Holy Cross
Miami - both Ohio and Florida
NMSU
Liberty
Justice
Freedom
Grand Canyon
Big Bend
Yosemite
Coastal Carolina
Landlocked Carolina
Texas St

After that, sign with ESPN or Fox, whoever shows us the money!!!!!!

This isn’t official. All CUSA needs to do is this:
UTEP
LaTech
FIU
WKU
MTSU-they’re not officially gone, they will recruit for us in the meantime

Add:
Hawaii
Idaho
Idaho St
Northern Colorado
University of the Southwest
Southwest University
Eastern New Mexico
Western New Mexico
UConn - all sports
UMass - all sports
UNewHamp
UVermont
Holy Cross
Miami - both Ohio and Florida
NMSU
Liberty
Justice
Freedom
Grand Canyon
Big Bend
Yosemite
Coastal Carolina
Landlocked Carolina
Texas St

After that, sign with ESPN or Fox, whoever shows us the money!!!!!!
Congrats on making a dumber post than Fili...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT